• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1580's Cavalry Set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Light Dragoon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that I finally got a picture to actually post here, I'll post it under the proper forum. This is a set of my stuff that was photographed in January by Nathan Robinson of[url] MyArmoury.com[/url] on the occasion of a visit by me.

1580scavalryset2.jpg

The items in the picture are as follows: Pair of wheellock puffers by Dale Shinn of Sacramento, CA (one from the mid-1970's, the other from 1982), with flask and primer/spanner also by Dale; "Dresden" sword, dagger and by-knife by Arms and Armour of Minneapolis, MN; spurs by Medieval Spurs, and patron box by J. Henderson Artifacts.

Anyway, thought it might be found of interest. Here's an in-depth discussion of the sword and other items here, should you wish to pursue it:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3247

Cheers,

Gordon

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some pretty cool stuff. What's a 'patron' box?

Thanks! Oh, a "Patron Box" is the rectangular blued metal gizmo in the picture. It's made of sheet iron, with a hinged lid that is spring-loaded and pops up with the push of a button. Inside the box is a wooden block bored out for six cartridges. The term is actually the German word for "Cartridge", and so the box ended up with that name.

Basically, it's the 16th Century version of a cartridge box for pistols. There are a few photo's of such things floating around, I'll see if I can find some and post them.

Cheers,

Gordon

Beautiful stuff, Gordon! I saw this stuff on[url] myarmoury.com[/url] (yeah, I'm a member over there too), but I didn't realize you were a member here as well. I really like the fishtail you show in your other pics. Looks very cool. :thumbsup:

P.S. Word to the wise: never mess with a guy who carries a musket, a brace of pistols, a sword, and a dagger! ::You probably should also avoid getting in line behind him going through airport security! :: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh oh, I'm found out! :) Good to hear from you... seems as though most of us who like the old guns also like the swords to go with them, LOL! Oh, BTW, although I might pack all that junk to get to camp, I sure wouldn't carry it into a fight! I need to get Dale to make me a wheellock carbine for THAT one! I got together with him yesterday to shoot our matchlocks, and he showed me his new "pattern piece" wheellock carbine. DANG!!! THAT's what I need NOW!

Oh well... it's only money!

Send me a PM, Musketeer! I'd love to yack (and figure out who you are!)

Cheers!

Gordon

PM sent! Identity revealed! :: :thumbsup:

Aha! Now I know your evil plans! Good to hear from you, and good talking to you both here and on myArmoury! ::

Cheers, :thumbsup:

Gordon

Aha! Now I know your evil plans! Good to hear from you, and good talking to you both here and on myArmoury!

MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!(with an evil glint in my eye)YES! It's true! When my plans succeed, and I am King o' the World, children will be taught swordsmanship and musketry from the age of 5, and suits of armour will be required decor in all buildings (public AND private)! :: :crackup: :crackup:Alas! Let me speak no more of my plans, for my enemies are all around me! :blah: :crackup:On a serious note: this and myarmoury are THE best sites on the internet (am I allowed to plug another site? D'oh!)! Good to see a familiar face (so to speak) on both. Perphaps more pics of your fishtail are in order, unless you've already posted some that I've missed? :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, and archery. The kids will be taught archery as well. That's the trouble with evil plans: you need an evil assistant to help you remember them all! :: :thumbsup:

cavalry03_s.jpg

Okay, there you go, Musketeer! The same basic set, but all from the workshop of Dale Shinn. Top is my Shinn Bastard Musket added in instead of the A&A Dresden Sword-Rapier, a Shinn Dagger instead of the Dresden Dagger, and a Shinn "touch-box" or priming flask added in place of the spurs. And of course the brace of wheellock puffers, with their spanners, the upper one being a priming flask as well.

Again, photo by Nathan Robinson.

Cheers,

Gordon

I love those fishtails! A bit late for the period I'm interested in, but very cool and graceful all the same. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I love those fishtails! A bit late for the period I'm interested in, but very cool and graceful all the same. Thanks! :thumbsup:

My Pleasure! One of these days I'll get a decent picture of my new (well, to me at least!) Shinn Caliver, with a "Spanish Stock" on it. That ought to be more your style. ::

Cheers!

Gordon

My Pleasure! One of these days I'll get a decent picture of my new (well, to me at least!) Shinn Caliver, with a "Spanish Stock" on it. That ought to be more your style. ::

Cheers!

Gordon

Yes. My interest is about 1450-1525 (roughly). So, as Homer Simpson would say, "Mmmmmmmmmmm, caaallliivveeerrrrr....." :: :thumbsup:

Well, you asked, and shall now receive! Here's a picture of my Daughter shooting HER Caliver, which is pretty much identical to mine... After her Father's heart, isn't she? ::

Cheers,

Gordon
e_shooting4_11_1_1.jpg

Dang... can't get it to load... it does fine on the set-up, but won't show. Oh well, later...

G

Thanks, Gordon! That's about the style of matchlock I've settled on. Very similar to the one on Syke's website (below). Beautiful gun. Your daughter looks to have the whole kit: period dress, bandolier with powder bottles, etc. Lucky kid! ::
ML.jpg

Thanks agin,

MVB :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words, Sir! Yup, Daughter has the whole kit and kaboodle, since her husband also shoots matchlocks (his is identical, interestingly enough)! Good kids, they like the same stuff the Old Man does! :thumbsup:

The Sykes offering looks pretty nice, and ought to be a real winner. I assume it's a John Buck piece; he makes a very serviceable matchlock, and well worth the asking price.

Oh, I got wild yesterday while visiting with Mr. Shinn and ordered up a Wheellock Carbine! YIKES!! :shocking: WHOO HOO!

Cheers!

Gordon

Back