• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 g. pedersoli UN-reliable ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got a 12 ga Pedersoli sxs 4 Christmas, shot it a few times yesterday, performed ok but with very UN-reliable ignition, the caps did fire every time. Was using 80 gr pyro/ 1 1/8 oz shot. What can I do to ensure it shoots every time?

Did you clean the gun of packing grease before loading/shooting? Do you have pipe cleaners? Take those nipples off and make sure the channels are clear of grease, burrs. If the caps are firing but the gun isn't, then something is preventing the powder from getting flame...

Examine the nipples good?

Dunno, there are guys here that have that gun, maybe they can chime in and point you in the right direction.

I would try some real black powder, that pyro just don't lite fast enough. It's ok for them 209ers but IMHO not for cap or rock.

Yeah, make sure those nipples and flash channels are dry. Real black is not as temperamental as the subs and should work just fine.

I've never used pyro, but mine dont like 777. I've also got newfangled nipples on mine, never had a problem with 11/2 Swiss or 2f elephant :barf: .

steve

Sometimes the granule size versus the channel from nipple to barrel doesn't add up. Just a matter of geometry. I have a .69 Fremont that works every time with black but not with subs just because of the insides. I would alter it but don't want to work inside getting past the nipple hole threads.

Check the nipples and run a wire threw the holes, be sure the main channel is clear of debris and metal shavings. I have one that i have been shooting for 15 years with no trouble, i have used prrodex RS most of the time as well as 3F goex, i have never had a problem with ignition. it sounds like an obstruction in the channel between the nipple and breech.

You would probably get better ignition with Pyrodex P, rather than the RS, in your gun, with percussion cap ignition, but that doesn't help you get rid of your RS.

Try using a small charge- 10 grains of real black powder-- down the barrel first, as an "igniter" charge, then complete the powder charge with a small charge of RS. The two charges together should occupy the same Volume that you current charge of RS uses, BTW. That way you will get a similar performance in the barrel. I have been using FFg in my 12 gauge- only 75 grains( 2 3/4 dram)with 1 1/8 oz of #8 for dove, and 1 1/4 oz of #5 for pheasants, chukkar, and anything else legal to shoot that busts out in front of my gun. Both loads are good to 30 yards in my gun.

I am going to order a pound of Fg Goex to try in my shotguns, based on BrownBear's experiences with this powder in his guns.

All guns are different. There simply is NO shortcut to avoid doing a lot of work with paper at the range, patterning loads. Don't even think of it. BTDT. You need to not only have a load that patterns well, but you need to know where that pattern strikes(POI), compared to where you point the gun(POA). Use butcher or wrapping paper if you have it. If not use, newspapers. To find the holes, use the backside of the paper where the edges of the paper around the holes will stick up. An oblique light shined across the paper will highlight these "crowns", making them easier to "see", and circle with a magic marker.

At 30 yards you are looking for the amount of shot contained in a 20" circle, approx. It will be a very rare smoothbore that puts the center of its pattern at your POA. Second, you are wanting an even distribution, without huge holes in the pattern that might allow game to escape, or " fly thru" your pattern. :thumbsup:

I didn't like the nipples that came on my Pedersoli 12, changed them out for Spit fire nipple. I used FFg triple 7 for the first year and no ignition problems at all

Every single Pedersoli I have owned has been un reliable about ignition. Best with Black but not 100%.

The fix is simple, open them tight nipples to .040"(1mm) and it will be 100% reliable, promise :hatsoff:

Carefully drill or take them to a simple machine shop, job done and don't look back :thumbsup:

This one had the same treatment as many others.

Pheas003.jpg

Brits.

Have had my SXS 12 Ga Pedersoli for about 10 Years. I use 2F only . Never had a problem with ingnition. Same nipples that came in the gun new.
I just make sure the gun and nipples are cleaned good after use. Some folks dont like the nipples but I have never saw the need to change or alter them. Just keep it clean. My 2 cents worth. Happy New Year!

Wayne/Al

New: Another option is to replace the nipples with larger musket cap nipples. I've done this on all the Pedersoli Kodiak double rifles I have had, and the stock and lock geometry is the same for the shotties. Believe me, those big winged musket caps "git her done."

Good morning,happy new year .i,ve had my ped.double bout 20 yrs,never had trouble with ignition,but only use real black 2f mainly but have fired 3f,got turkeys,upland game,even tried trap shooting in my back yard, the only problem i,ve had was recoil being such a lite gun, shooting roundball does hurt a little,i,ve bought an sold many muzzle loaders but will not part with this little double,you will enjoy this gun when you figure out what you are doing wrong,(remember its never the guns fault an ol timer told me)

paulvallandigham said:
All guns are different. There simply is NO shortcut to avoid doing a lot of work with paper at the range, patterning loads. Don't even think of it. BTDT. You need to not only have a load that patterns well, but you need to know where that pattern strikes(POI), compared to where you point the gun(POA). Use butcher or wrapping paper if you have it. If not use, newspapers.
Thanks Paul, I plan to do just that!! I have an endless supply of 50lb feed sacks and they are 3 layers thick and when cut open they make a really nice 36"x40" sq. & get 3 per sack, so...the other day my sons & I made a bunch of patterning targets, now just need a nicer day than today to do some patterning. p.s. if anyone needs some emty feed sacks I have a bunch for sale. (just kidding) Scott

Latest posts

Back