• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

100 yard groups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So what does everyone get for average groups at 100 yrds.Im using a rest and at my 100 yrds I can get them in a 6 inch circle. Im shooting a rifled .62 cal flintlock 100 gr 3f and roundballs that I made.

I just finished a 100 yard session and got 4.7in this time out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three inch groups from both sides of the target at 50 yds.
Does that count? :rotf:

Given a calm day, or at least a predictable wind, my groups tend to be just under 3.5" at 100 yds, benched. Sometimes I approach 3" but can't seem to sneak under that.

That's with either my .54 (70gr. FFFg, .530 ball, drill patch, spit lube) or .58 (90 gr. FFFg, .562 ball) flintlocks.

After I do my load development and sight in I don't do groups much after that. My last gun is a TC Hawken Green Mountain hybrid. I found the load it liked and they were around 1" groups at 100 yards.

RCBSgroupCleanbetweenshots.jpg

RCBS11mmgroup2.jpg

My best group with .54 cal prb at 100 yds is 3 shots, 2" diameter circle. Weather conditions were perfect. No wind and had sunshine all day. Most of the time I get 4" groups at that distance bench rested.

HH 60

I get groups like your all of the time! However I am shooting at 50 yards! :haha: I can see well enough to do that!

Geo. T.

Depending on the rifle, 3-5" at 100yds usually if there is either no wind or predictable/consistent wind. Lyman GPRs, 3-4" lately with both the .50 and .54 FLs. CVA .50, usually 4-5". CVA .32, well, in perfect conditions, 3.5" was my best, normally, with a little of the usual wind thrown in, more like 5-6"@100. Now if we're talking my 13ga SB SxS, and I only tried this for one "group" with no rear sight and just a bead up front, I was surprised to get a 14" "group" at 100. Usually get about 6-8" at 50 though with that one.

MH..with a 32" 58 cal. I can keep them touching at 85 yd. rested no wind.
It,s my hunting sight in range... doing this with 70-90 gr of powder.
You just might need to bump up your powder charge to shrink your grouping.
Is this a hunting or target load group?
A .610 rb needs a bit of umph to run flat out to 100 yards.
This is where you will find your recoil tolerance.
Stock fit, gun weight will become more obvious.
Changing sight size and target size can also be a factor.
What is your goal shooting at 100 yards?
Set a goal and work towards it..It may take one shooting sessions or 10 but if you keep shooting the groups will shrink.
Dry fire when range time is not there.
Good luck and keep shooting!....dan

I shoot offhand and I am just happy to keep the shots on a paper plate at 100 yards. I can't say that I have ever bothered to measure the groups.

Many Klatch

From a good rest -

Telescopic sight & conicals: 1"
Peep Sight & conicals: 2-1/2"
Caplock Open Iron Sights & round ball: 5"
Flintlock w/O.I.S & round ball: 7"
Offhand (standing) flintlock ditto: 12"

This is why I limit myself to 85 yards with a muzzleloader. I used to be able to count on 4" groups shooting round ball w/OIS at 100 yards with my Renegade .54. I have a hard time deciding which fuzzy blur is the target at that range now.

Stumpkiller said:
This is why I limit myself to 85 yards with a muzzleloader. I used to be able to count on 4" groups shooting round ball w/OIS at 100 yards with my Renegade .54. I have a hard time deciding which fuzzy blur is the target at that range now.

That does have a certain ring to it! :rotf: I've found that my guns aren't nearly so accurate since I passed the big Six Zero mark. :wink: From shooting in my younger days I am 100% certain the guns are capable of better groups, but the old eyes just can't do it any more. Just the right sights, just the right light, and just the right target, and most times I can keep from embarrassing myself. But the older I get the harder it is to find that just right combo.

Different barrels, different sights, different loading techniques, different loads. Bench shooting my H&A underhammer, with peep sights, nets 5 shot groups under 1.5 inches. My heavy barrel (27 lb) original 62 caliber with open sights does almost as well with 5 shots under 2 inches. There is a big difference in how some guys measure groups too. Some measure center to center. I don't. How big a circle will cover the group so it can't be seen. ie outside edge to outside edge.

Flinters almost always open up groups by at least a small amount. Some guns aren't capable of paper plate at 100 yds. Sounds like you are on the way. Just getting to a consistent loading technique takes practice. I know some guys swear by various systems to arrive at accurate loads. There is also the idea, that each gun has one or two special sweet loads that are the most accurate.

The latter idea is a myth. There are certain ranges of loads that do best with a particular type of twist and configuration of rifling. Some shooters think they need to use a mallet to start the tight patch ball combination.

Well I started weighing some of the round balls I made and found anywhere from 1 to 3 gr difference
I also would like to achieve at max 6 in group from what I have seen so far 50 gr is deadly accurate but for 50 yrds and 100 seems to be better at 100 as soon as i started going more my groups opened up
i haven't tried a over powder wad maybe that would help
any other suggestions? My patch looks good no burn thru.How often are you cleaning?

Back