• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

100 cal.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone heard about a 1.00 cal being developed ?
I heard a rumor about it and was wondering if anyone else has heard it too.
A 1 inch ball....wow what volume of powder would be needed to shoot that ball , and can you imagine the recoil from it ? MY rumotoid shoulder hurts thinking about it.

Woody

Vernon Davis sell them...... I think.

He had a gun that had one at Fort Frederick a couple years ago, it looked pretty cool. I believe Ed Rayl made the barrel and it had a 1-122 twist. Vern got the mould from that guy from England that make brass moulds. Tanner?

SP

That would be a 4 bore gun 1.052 bore size there are a few makers out there making barrels now If your hunting dinosaurs it would be a nice weapon. Or just to make the guys at the range say WOW. I think the standard load in 1887 for that was 273 grains of powder with 3 1/2 oz of shot. That would be a bit of recoil. MMMMMM I wonder when I can make one

i don't think that it wouldn't make a deer drop in it's tracks :no:....it would blow it out of it's tracks :shocking:....come to think bout it....it would blow you out of your tracks too :cry:...........bob

Woodhick,

Those barrels have been made for at least 200 to 300 years.
They were used as wall guns, small swivel attached, and mounted on the wall of a fort. Kind of a muzzleloading sniper rifle. Could really reach out and touch someone.
My understanding is that the idea was to pick off the officers, artillery commanders and the like. Most of the rest of yesteryears armies were uneducated. So I guess the theory is... if you pick off the leaders.... the army falls apart?? :imo:
In His grip,

Dane

"4 bores" were also used in Africa on elephants,.... powder charge was a "handfull" of BP (approx. 300 grs.).
The guns weighed 20+ lbs. (how'd ya like to "pack" thet around all day in the hot sun?????) :crackup: :crackup:

..... the 4 bore roundball weighs over 1700 grs. (4 balls to the pound!! :haha:)

YMHS
rollingb

powder charge was a "handfull" of BP (approx. 300 grs.).
..... the 4 bore roundball weighs over 1700 grs. (4 balls to the pound!! :haha:)

YMHS
rollingb

A fella would have to find a spare job just to pay for the BP and lead to shoot the thing ..... let alone for the doctor and theropy trips that would be needed afterwards. :eek:

Woody

Greetings RollingB and All,

Baker the African explorer carried a 4 bore and once shot completely through a hippo, killing a second one on the other side.

Stanley, the newspaper reporter who went in search of Dr. Livingston in Africa also carried one.

Fellow here in San Antonio has a customer made 4 bore and 2 bore and has succesfully hunted the big animals in Africa with them.

Friend of mine who is a very experienced ML competition shooter and hunter custom cast the balls for the two guns. He tells me it does not take much time to lower the lead level in a melting pot.

Best regards, John L. Hinnant

Kind of reminds me of the Richard Boone movie where they traveled to antartica to hunt the last dinosaur. Hey it could happen now I just need to convince my wife of that.

Woodhick ,
I was going over some old posts and came across this one
asking about the 4-bore/100 cal. (actually 105 ?? )
I just finished building one this past December , got it done just in time for the regular rifle season here in Pa.
And i mean,just in time , shot it for the first time while
taking a lunch break on the first day of the season. I got lucky with the sight placement,it shot in the middle of a paper plate at 40 yds. with 250 gr. of 2f and a 1750 gr ball. 015" patch . Two hours later i shot my deer with it at about 40-50 yds.
I got the barrel from Ed RAyl , it is 1.052" bore ,and about 1.080" groove . The 250 gr load shoots about 1025 fps . , 300gr about 1125 . 350 gr . about 1215 fps .
Haven't chronographed the 400 or 500 gr load yet .
The gun i built is a half stock ,curley maple ,flintlock English Sporting rifle (flint so i can hunt with it here in the Pa. late season) It has a 30" octagon barrel , tapered from 1 3/4 " at breech to 1 1/2 " at muzzle . Jim Chambers
round face english lock . The gun weighs 16 1/2 lbs.
Shooting it this past Tuesday , with 200 gr load at about
940 fps , recoil not too bad,(of course i have had a 460 Weatherby for about 20 years, that i sometimes use for deer) we got several 4 and 5 shot groups in the 2" range at 50 yds. One group had 4 shots touching in a kind of cloverleaf ,makes and impressive looking hole! ! !

Joe.

Joe,
That is some impressive stats.
I may consider one in the future for elk hunting out west. I will stick wiht my 50 cal for deer ( little goats in PA )
Won't take long to use a pound of powder up with it I'm sure.
Thanks for the info

Woody

Woody ,
Its not the powder that is the problem , it's the lead .
In the last two weeks i have shot 15 lbs of lead out of it . Problem is , thats only 60 shots.ha. ha. I can back down on the powder charge , but those darn balls just dont work good when you make them smaller !!!!!
Scarey numbers .......
200lb lead = 800 4-bore balls
8,000 !! 50 cal balls
10,000 !!! 45cal balls
Joe

Joe,
Where abouts are you in NE PA? I want to make sure I'm not in the part of the woods where those lead billiard balls are flying around - at 950 fps are they subsonic?
Finnwolf

Finnwolf
At 950 fps they would be subsonic, with the 200 gr load.
But if you bump up the load a bit ,( !!!???) say to 350 gr,
you can get them up to about 1225-1250 fps , which would make them supersonic.
I have been going up to the GAme lands range in Archbald to shoot it , Hunt up in Northern Wayne county , Pleasant Mt area. If you are in the area let me know , i need some
dummy ,er , i mean, an experienced shooter to chronograph the 400-450 - and 500 gr loads.
As far as pictures go , i have a digital camera , but i'm lucky that i can get these words on here, never mind figure out how to get pictures on here also..........
Joe

Joe,
Boy, am I glad I asked! I shoot at the same range once in awhile, more often Moscow Sportsmans Club. I also hunt around the corner from you in Buckingham township, across the river from Hancock. I hope I run into you at the range some day - I'd love to see that rifle shoot - from behind it.
Finnwolf

Finnwolf
Got some bad news for you .... I also hunt in Buckingham
township , heh ! heh , heh.!! Better watch out for those
balls in the late season.....
If you know a few days (or even the same day ) when you are going to be up at the Archbald range . let me know , and if i can i will meet you up there.
Joe

Back