• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10 bore turkey load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did alot of searching on here prior to asking and cant find much for info on 10 bore fowlers. I'm pretty new to flintlocks and just picked up my first fowler at a local shop that I plan on using for turkey but have no idea where to start with loads. My questions are the following. If anybody uses a 10 bore what are some of your loads for turkey? What is generally considered the the max load for powder and shot (don't want to exceed it)? Which F grade of powder does your gun prefer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fg powder for best patterns. Use only solid wads under the shot, no cushion wads. 2 nitro cards work good. You won't find a listed max load, and it would depend on what exactly your gun is anyway. Safety wise, you can go higher than you can shoot well. If this is one you know is in perfect shape, 2 1/4 oz shot and 150 grains of powder would be a good maximum, however, it is unlikely you could shoot such a load without flinching unless your fowler weighed 12 pounds or more.

For turkey, try 100 to 120 gr Fg, 2 nitro cards, 1 5/8 oz #6, thin overshot card, oil soaked fiber wad on top. 1 5/8 oz is a good traditional 10 gauge load, and the wadding in that order is known as the Skycheif load. You can work up from there. I'm still working with my new gun, but so far my old load is proving best. It is 100gr Fg, 2 nitro cards, 2 oz #6, lubed nitro card overshot.

Back