• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

odd cast iron

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
So what is the oddest piece of case iron camp cookware you have?

I bought a lot of cast iron cook ware over the past thirty years. I have a little cast iron kettle that holds about 6 ounces up to a 35 gallon butcher kettle, complete with the three legged fire ring. I have several cast griddles, skillets from 2 inch to 20 inch. But at an old hardware store in Arlington VA, I picked up an unused original wafer iron. You get it hot in the fire, spread some oil on it, and then a spoon full of batter and close it for a few seconds. It cooks a very thin rectangular cookie with decorations pressed into it, that is crunchy much like a Chinese fortune cookie. They are still pliable when hot and can be rolled into cones or tubes. When my kids were young we took the wafer irons to a few rendezvous and made treats for the kids.

they are likely not a very scarce item but I have 2 cast iron pots with a handle and tight-fitting lids. something like a deep D.O.
one is about a 2.5 qt other is smaller about a 1.5 qt. they're very good for a bean bake or apple cobbler or such. or big enuff to roast a chunk of meat and veggys in.

I have a round waffle iron with a cone support. I suspect it was used over one of the holes common in the top of cast iron stoves. I have tried and failed to get waffles out of it. :idunno:

Danish Aebleskiver Pan would be my oddest that i used. Got to admit it's been a lota years since i used it though.

I have a rectangular waffle iron with long handles - properly pre-warmed and pre-lubed with non-stick cooking spray, it continues to turn out the best waffles I've ever eaten. (And for a neat and different treat, I substitute corn bread batter for the waffle mix. MMMMmmm!)

:hatsoff:

Yeah Mrs. has a modern electric pizelle maker. But I also have a few old cook books from the early 1800's and two of them have recipes for "wafers" that call for nearly identical batter as the pizelle maker and the one book (The Virginia Housewife, printed 1834) calls for the wafer to be rolled into a cone and stuffed with brandied fruit.

(one of the things I gathered over the years because of buckskinning is old recipes and methods of cooking. At Gunston Hall, (George Mason's Home) in Virginia, Mrs. Masons handwritten cookbook (from about 1780) was propped open on the kitchen table. The guide got a bit miffed when she saw me copying down one of the recipes. I suggested they publish the recipes in a booklet, don't know if they ever did.

I have a bacon and egg pan. It's flat, about 12" square, and is divided into 3 sections, 2 for eggs, and the bigger section for bacon. Works well over fire, gas, or electric...about 100 Years old....

No promises, but I'll try to get a pic or two of my waffle iron this weekend and post it/them. No idea how old it actually is and I've seen others that were similar, but with considerably shorter handles.

It's not something I'd take on a trek or a scout, but it's definitely one my very favorite pieces of camp gear.

I found the iron part of the Griswold waffle iron/cone combo. Paid $4 at the thrift store. It works fine on my electric stove at home or if I'm camping I use it on my Coleman stove.

I know a Coleman isn't very HC but when I wake up early out camping I need my coffee fast, no way I could handle making a fire for coffee water.

Back