• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbuntingsr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a muzzleloader that says Black Powder Only and another that says Black Power or Pyrodex Only. Does that just mean to not use smokless and Black Powder substitues are ok or does it mean just as it says Black Powder Only? :idunno:

it means black powder or black powder substitutes only. just like you thought, absolutly no smokeless powder of any kind.

But if it's a flintlock other than a T/C Firestorm you need blackpowder to get it to ignite. Substitutes won't pick up a flint spark well enough to be useful for priming or the initial "catch" charge inside the vent.

That warning label is telling you to use black powder only..substitutes, like Pyrodex are considered black powder. Many different brands of Subs on the market..but if you walk into your local gun store or walmart you'll most likely see Hogdon 777 and Pyrodex ...

The black powder only rifle could be a rifle that was made before black powder substitutes came into existence.

Even smokeless powders can be BLACK but that does not mean they are is useable! :confused:
No amount of smokeless powder is safe. :nono:
My personal preference is GOEX and Pyrodex. :thumbsup:

ebiggs said:
Even smokeless powders can be BLACK but that does not mean they are is useable! :confused:

I think it could be better said that ANY amount of smokeless powder is dangerous!

flintlock62 said:
ebiggs said:

I think it could be better said that ANY amount of smokeless powder is dangerous!

Unless it's Blackhorn 209, an approved smokeless substitute for black powder.
Also, within the last 100 years or so, there was at least one other smokeless substitute for black powder that was made by Dupont.
:wink:

As the naqme implies, his substitute powder is NOT Black Powder, has a higher ignition temperature( flash point), and requires 209 shotgun primers for best ignition. In short, its designed to be used in the in-L**e guns we don't discuss on this forum.

I am sure that there are people who will take their advice on choice of powders to use in Traditional MLers from some pimply-faced 16 year old kid working part-time at Wally world, and try this powder in a traditional Flintlock or Percussion lock firearm.

Why read the manufacturer's advice? :shocked2: Why read? :idunno: :surrender:

Then, they will complain about the gun's performance, and blame everyone and everything EXCEPT themselves and their own foolishness for why this isn't working too well for them in their new rifle. There are not enough of us on this forum, nor enough time in the days to us to help steer these folks out of the hole they dig for themselves.

It seems that every week some new guy comes on this forum asking that we teach him everything he needs to know about shooting MLers in 10 word or less- never bothering to read the information already available on this site.

Why bother spending time reading through pages and pages of past posts, and threads on every conceivable subject when you can just begin it all over again with a question that has been answered dozen of times on this forum? And, if you don't like the answers you get here, there are other forums where you can go and ask the same questions? NO?

NEWS Flash: To those of you whose shoes I may have pinched. The reasons this is such a great forum is that we have hundreds of members, and their accumulated wealth of knowledge, gained over years of trial and error- not the convenience of the internet-- makes it possible for you to get valuable answers free. Appreciate it. Thank you. And, don't be angry with us when we leave some of that Discovery for you to find out yourself. :shocked2: :idunno: :blah: :grin: :hatsoff:

Just to keep the facts straight:
In short, its designed to be used in the in-L**e guns we don't discuss on this forum.
While many of the later BP subs were so designed (many were developed for cartridge BP arms used by CAS folks and big bore shooters).
Pyrodex was first formulated in the 1970's by the late Dan Pawliak for use in conventional side lock caplocks. He designed it to be a more "carrier" friendly powder back when UPS, etc. either would not ship BP or only shipped it in minimum amounts. It's development had nothing to do with the later IL guns.

Paul, good post. I credit this site with getting myself going in the right direction without too much difficulty. Where I work there are lots of gun guys who hunt but nobody does bp. So I find that when we talk about our hunting styles I fend off the same myths time after time. I've come to realize, at least in my opinion, that there aren't enough folks in the know to disseminate good information on bp, which kind of keeps folks with a lil interest from jumping in. Most say they don't want to clean their gun for hours after shooting, or about the difficulty of getting a flintlock to fire, etc... I try to bring them on board, and clear things up as best as I can, but most of what I know came from monitoring this forum. A great resource, to say the least.

Yes, you are correct. my comment was directed at a specific post talking about "Blackthorn209". Of course, few shooters who would be interested in buying those cheater zip guns would know what a "209 primer" is, much less that there is now made a special 209 primer JUST for shooting Black Powder!

For what I see as obvious reasons, most of the shooters who invest in those cheater zip guns don't want to join the NMLRA, or any local BP Gun Club, much less spend time at a range with guys like us, who shoot traditional percussion and flintlock guns. Not everyone- I know that we have some members here who own those zip guns in addition to their traditional guns. Curiosity catches us all at one time or another. :grin: :bow: Sometimes, these cheap zip guns are all that the shooter can afford. BTDT. :shocked2:

With charter BP clubs affiliated with the NMLRA located in every state, I wish people would go to the NMLRA website, join, and then locate the nearest club. Call the contact person. Get the State representative living closest to you, and call him. These are all fantastic ambassadors for our sport, and will be happy to help you, and help you find a skilled MLer near you to help you learn about MLers. It saves you lots of money, gives you local sources for supplies, a place to shoot Black Powder with other shooters, and a lot of hands-on training you simply cannot get reading this or any other forum or article on the "Net".

Our friends with their zip guns, the copper jacketed pistol bullets, the plastic shoes, the substitute powders, their telescopes, and those expensive wafers tend to stay away from BP clubs.

In fact, like thieves in the night, they tend to stay away from most other ethical hunters, who use real traditional Mlers during Muzzleloading Deer Seasons, rather than some blaster that might accidentally kill a deer out at 200 yds. To them, that extra season is all about getting another chance to kill a deer, not about imposing more limitations on their hunt so that they need to really work on their hunting skills to succeed. Learning how to scout, to track, to move quietly in the woods, to sit quietly in the woods, to listen to the squirrels and birds give alarm calls that alert you that a deer may be moving towards you-- none of those skills matter to the cheaters- they have their zip guns which will make up for all that!

Its as if we live on separate planets from these guys. :( :hmm: :surrender:

I feel sorry for them, as they will never know the wonderful satisfaction, and peace of mind that comes from taking game with traditional Mlers at closer ranges, with all the limitations these old style guns impose on the hunter. :shocked2: :nono: :hmm:

paulvallandigham said:
As the naqme implies, his substitute powder is NOT Black Powder, has a higher ignition temperature( flash point), and requires 209 shotgun primers for best ignition. In short, its designed to be used in the in-L**e guns we don't discuss on this forum...
Blackhorn 209 does not require shotgun primers for ignition.
Blackhorn 209 works perfectly in sidelocks with a standard percussion cap if a small booster charge of another powder is loaded first, just like Hodgdon recommends doing when using Pyrodex in a flintlock.

There's a Youtube video titled CVA Hawken .50 Shooting Blackhorn209 that shows that Blackhorn 209 will ignite reliably in a CVA Hawken with a small 5 grain booster charge of Shockey's Gold.

[youtube]g5lmjSHJNxk[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back