• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash guard install question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboleo1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Jim Chambers Colonial Virginia lock and wondered about installing a brass flash guard that I was given some time ago. I am not familiar with flash guards and wondered if I simply remove the exterior frizzen screw, put the guard over the hole and reinsert the screw? Or do I need to get something else --- I saw TOTW sells a flash guard frizzen screw and nut set. Looks like a longer screw that has a threaded stem on top. I guess the guard goes over the stem and the nut over that. Appreciate any info on the guards.

Depending on the thickness of the guard you will need a longer bolt/machine screw. The head is recessed in that lock so it's a given you need a longer one.

I have that lock and it is a great one. One thing I recommend is to bend any excess metal around the bottom of the guard where it contacts the frizzen bridle (that teardrop shaped flat) inwards to prevent the whole guard from turning and loosening up the frizzen screw.

I can't stand guards and the only reason I would use one is if mandated so by a group or range. They cause more grief and problems than they solve.

Thanks guys. Stumpy, Yes that is a fantastic lock! I too don't care for the look of the guard, but am checking into it for an upcoming event ------ but only if required.

I have a Siler Delux and used one of the kits to instal the flashguard. It worked fine, was not difficult at all. I have always had to have a flashguard so I'm used to it and don't find them a problem at all.

Latest posts

Back