• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Convert Traditions Hawken Percussion to Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaverickNH

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a pre-assembled Traditions Hawken flintlock 50cal and just bought a Traditions Hawken percussion 50cal kit. Does anyone know if I can build the kit as a flintlock by switching out a few parts? It would seem, that to save parts inventory, they might have made the same base rifle with two different parts sets for percussion and flintlock, but I'd be guessing.

The Gun Works, in Oregon has the locks, the touchhole liner i'm not sure. I'm about to do the same on a Traditions pistol that is caplock.

steve

Gentlemen, Does the gun have a bolster (where the nipple is part of the breech plug), or a drum and nipple type, The drum and nipple can be converted fairly simply and inexpensively ( I have converted quite a number of them). If you have a bolster system, to my knowledge you are out of luck, I have never seen or heard of a bolster being converted, I am not saying that it hasnt been done or cant be done. I have gunsmithed for over 40 years and will not attempt a bolster conversion Just too many problems to overcome. best of luck yours hounddog

Good point, i may have to make the flash channel. If the drum comes out, it won't be a problem to dupe. If there is a factory available part, that would make it really easy.

steve

Toots, You said your gun was a traditions hawkin correct. Tradition guns have a breech plug system exactally like the old cva guns. They shouldha traditions took over the cva guns in traditional styles. your drum will be threaded into the breeckplug itself, To pull the breech plug the drum must com out first. I have done virtually all of my prc to flint conversions on cva guns. You could do what I do, leave the drum in, just cut it off close and file flush, if you want a permanent flint conversion, use a no 3 drill bit drill out existing hole in drum and tap 1/4x28, install touchole liner and you are done. If you want to be able to switch back and forth between flint and perc use a letter l drill bit drill out xisting hole, and tap5/16x24 install touchole liner and also fit a new drum in 5/16x24 and use either one you want. At present I have 8 rifles and pistols converted to go either way. you can make permanent or convertable your choice. yours the old gunsmith hounddog

My switch is with the pistols. Same lock size as the rifle, that i'll shorten then change it to flint. The lock and touch hole liners are available at "The Gun Works". Don't believe i'll have to pull the plug, but i've been wrong before :grin: .

steve

:hmm:
Cuttohalfinch.jpg

sign0184.gif

slotteddrillcenter.jpg

I'll just compare the parts when i remove them. If i have to make the parts, i'll just use the lathe. Not PC (my lathe), but i aint afraid to use it.

steve

Back