• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mainspring for Spanish Import Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
When I was bluing the lock plate the other day the mainspring on my "free" pistol broke and I just sat it aside figuring a new lock would be more than the gun is worth(around $30). I told a guy about it today at the muzzleloader shoot and he said some places make a universal mainspring or something about just fitting a random one to fit it. What do you think of this?

Can ya post a picture? (with a tape measure)

There's a bunch of us with CVA/Traditions made locks an something is bound to fit.

Contact

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182

(765) 525-6181

In answer to you question about universal mainsprings, there ain't no such animal.

There are dozens of different mainsprings and each one is made for a specific lock.

There may be a few that are "close" and with enough luck, time and money one of them might be made to work by a competent gunsmith but his time alone will cost more than your gun will be worth.

Sounds like a good time to learn how to make a spring. It isn't as hard as you might be thinking and the materials and supplies won't cost that much.

I have a bunch of NOS CVA parts and lots of old parts for some of the Spanish locks. Can you send me a picture of the spring and the lock and I will see if I have something that will work for you.

Bob

HPIM0365.jpg

Here it is, the mainspring length is right around 2 in.

Lulie b, are you sure the spring is broken. what I saw in the pic is that the upper half has come out from under the retaining pin, and the lower half is unhooked from the tumbler catch. Give it a good looking over you may get luckey and be able to reassemble the spring yours hounddog

I'm very sure it's broken. To give people the idea of how big the spring needs to be I put the 2 pieces of the spring together so it looks like 1(the way it's supposed to be). It is clearly broken in half.

Back