• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

straighten hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a T/C Hawken that someone had SCOPED? and bent the hammer out to clear. Is a little propane torch hot enough to enable me to bend it back to normal? It needs to go about 1/2 inch or less. Thanks for any help. :patriot:

Sure,
But T/C is the ones that changed the hammer at some point. They tipped the thumb part of the hammer out so it would clear a scope.
It doesn't matter as the hammer cup still strikes the nipple. If you find older ones the thumb part is still straight.
I don't know if they still make the straight one or not,(?) Maybe giv'em a call.

Ya, probably easiest to just get a new hammer.

If you do want to bend the hammer, I find an oxy/acetyline set up, with a small torch, works best. A propane torch can get it hot enough to bend, but the flame is spread out and heats up a broad area, causing an overall bend instead of bending in a specific spot. If you use a small oxy/acetyline torch, say a 1 or 0 adjusted for a small pointy flame, you can direct the heat to exactly where you want the metal to bend, and not affect the shape of the surrounding metal. Very accurate and controlled. I try to put a little more heat on the side that stretches the most. You need to be careful not to melt the metal though. Bill

I don't think it is going to be hot enough to bend. I have bent a couple out like your saying. I did it so I could cock it with a peep sight better. Ron

hammer04.jpg

Latest posts

Back