• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adjustable or Non-Adjustable Powder Measurers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
I like a hollowed antler tips for measuring my powder, I got them (60, 80 & 100 grain) hanging off on my possables bag's strap...

I did however, use an adjustable powder measurers to calculate the load in the antler point...

The bone and antler tips look better to me than plastic or brass measurering devises, it seems to go with the true spirit of muzzleloading...

The site below shows some finely carved powder measurers...
http://www.olddominionforge.com/powder%20measures.html

musketman - You sure know how to find good websites. Those are nice measures. Some time or nuther I'm going to start trying my hand at making my own stuff. Problem is, I've been seriously hampered by my poor showing in the woods. I want to get a bunch of antler and hide and start making, or have made, a range of items useful to the buckskinner. I do have some old antler, origin unknown, so I guess it wouldn't bother me to saw, drill or whatever. Carve 'em? Not a chance.

That web site has a bunch of good stuff on it.

Regards, sse

SSE,.... :: You go "deer hunt'n" in the fall,... and "shed hunt'n" in tha spring!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rollingb - OK. That clear's that up. What load do you use on a shed??

Regards, sse

SSE,.... Actually you don't need a "load" for sheds,.... but a "sack" would be handy for morels!! ::

You go "deer hunt'n" in the fall,... and "shed hunt'n" in tha spring!!

The reason one doesn't find too many shedded antlers is that mice and other critters gnaw away at them for the minerial...

As for hunting sheds, the load is not as important as the stocking, last place you want to be is in the path of stampeeding sheds...

Happiness is a dead shed. ::

Regards, sse

P.S. If this post constitutes excessive humor (or an attempt there-at), PM me and I'll repent.

P.S. If this post constitutes excessive humor (or an attempt there-at), PM me and I'll repent.

I like humor...

I have a tooth from a killer whale that I found washed ashore, it could be made into an ivory powder measurer if'n I take the notion to...

Right now, it's more valuable as a oddity...

I don't like the non-adjustable brass tube powder measurers though, it's like having a wind chime hanging off of your possables bag...

I DO carry an adjustable brass measurer with me, just in case the antler tip measurers break off and get lost...

I don't like the non-adjustable brass tube powder measurers though, it's like having a wind chime hanging off of your possables bag.

I've read articles suggesting that one powder measure (50grns for example) could be carried to be used for small game as is, and a double measure thrown to be used for big game...a single brass measure would work without the music to accompany you while still hunting ::

I'm thinking about a 45grn measure made from a horn tip or antler and trying it this fall with an antique powder horn that's been handed down in my family for generations, just for the nostalgia of it.

It's just a working man's horn, nothing fancy...fairly large...I cleaned & polished it up last year, made a fiddle peg stopper for it, tested it at the range, then hung it back over the fireplace (empty) and thinking that I should probably use it at least once to take a deer just to add to the history, then put it back up to save it for the next hand-me-down

I prefer those from natural materials and non adjustable measures. I do keep a couple adjustables...one on the work bench and one in the shooting box.

I usually keep 25-30 measures on hand that I make for the trade blanket. I use antler, horn, bone,etc. but my favorites are made from the river cane that my state is known for. The "canebreaks" of Kentucky yield measures that can be simply cut to length since they are already hollow. I like to carve around on them and fancy them up much like a scrimshander would have done or a bored longhunter would have personalized them. I sell quite a few at rendezvous, but never as expensive as those on the site Musketman found. If I were computer literate I would post some of them here.

I make them similar to the ones you pictured and have them on all my bags, for the load most often used for that gun and bag. Most of my bags also have an ajustable measure inside just in case. Nothing looks as good as a nice scrimed horn and a carved antler measure.
Deadeye

Here are two sets of Rev. War Powder Measures:
powdermeasures-2.jpg
powdermeasures.jpg

I keep an adjustable powder measurer on hand for range work, but use nothing but good ol'fashion antler tips when hunting or at rendezvous... That's a nice collection you got there, musketman... :)

You guys be careful hunting for morels this spring. A friend of mine--known for his truthfulness--claims he once was charged by a female morel defending her young. Keep a pistol handy when you are after them. Morels are hard to see until they are right on top of you. Graybeard

Graybeard is right! Morels have a very spoor sense of humor!

They have been known to hide a few of their poison little cousins in their midst and then tout you with challenges, daring you to eat them.

A herd of 10,000 stampeded and turned over a $70,000 Hummer! They then proceeded to drag the driver off to their mushroom!

Beware the Morel! is the moral of the story.

Adjustable or Non-Adjustable Powder Measurers?
Hmmmmmmmmmm, there's a tough choise to make when you are out in the woods and a bear is charging while you're trying to reload... :winking:

no7040.jpg
colonialhornMeasurer4.jpg

On my horns that I use often,I make the stopper into a measure,most I turn on the lathe, Sometimes From horn or antler.I fasten a leather thong to the horn tip and measure .Once You get used to using this set-up,It's quick and sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

IN LAYMAN TERMS "YOU THE MAN" I WISH I COULD DO THINGS LIKE THAT. (VERY NICE WORK)

Back