• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pennsylvania rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your going to extreme with Hershal House. Theres plenty of guns can be had within 1000.00 to 2000.00 in my opinion would be better than any Traditions and I only pointed to how one could get there. I also did not say anything about Traditions in my original post pro or con. If thats what he wants, then by all means go for it.

Swampy,

We actually are on the same page. :wink:

Think he's lookin' to get his feet wet. Most of us do. I'd be more concerned that it works out well for him, then the long term picture of gettin a really good gun that makes it all worthwhile.

You and I have had to scrimp and save...sacrifice a bit to get a gun that really is in tune with what we want. It's been well worth the effort!

But a new shooter, wanting to get his first taste of Flinters might not understand quite yet where he is heading. He'll get there, but has to figure out his own muster. :thumbsup:

Being a under-paid military type, I've got to buy cheap if'n I really want something, and I got both my Traditions rifles in a divorce sale, way cheap. The little .32 whacked a bunch of squirrels last fall and winter, but the flinter's been sitting in the rack since I can't find any powder locally.

Anyway, I'm new to this forum and to ML's and I'm curious as to why some feel the need to disparage any traditional rifle, even with left handed comments like, "there's better ways to spend your money than a Traditions"... What's the problem with these rifles that some of you feel the need to knock 'em down? I get the general impression that the general attitude among the learned here is that any 'manufactured' rifle isn't going to be quite as good as , but, hey, if that's what you want or all that you can afford... Sounds like the ol' AK vs AR argument, only backdated.
Tell me I'm wrong, or I'll think I've fallen in with a bunch of gun snobs, ne'er do wells, elitists.

Sorry, just had an overwhelming urge to say "ne'er do well"

Robbvious said:
Being a under-paid military type, I've got to buy cheap if'n I really want something, and I got both my Traditions rifles in a divorce sale, way cheap. The little .32 whacked a bunch of squirrels last fall and winter, but the flinter's been sitting in the rack since I can't find any powder locally.

Anyway, I'm new to this forum and to ML's and I'm curious as to why some feel the need to disparage any traditional rifle, even with left handed comments like, "there's better ways to spend your money than a Traditions"... What's the problem with these rifles that some of you feel the need to knock 'em down? I get the general impression that the general attitude among the learned here is that any 'manufactured' rifle isn't going to be quite as good as , but, hey, if that's what you want or all that you can afford... Sounds like the ol' AK vs AR argument, only backdated.
Tell me I'm wrong, or I'll think I've fallen in with a bunch of gun snobs, ne'er do wells, elitists.

People can get like that sometimes but there is some truth to what they state. This goes with about anything that you would buy which is handmade is better than manufactured generally. The custom guns will probably last longer than any production made gun. Also with some of this you run into the "Made in USA" which I'd like to believe puts the USA product ahead of any foreign one. Traditions guns can be shooters but with a flintlock you may have to tweak it some but once you do that you'll have a good shooter.

Robbvious said:

So I guess doing a lot of research and wanting a copy of a gun that would have been made and used here in R.I back 200 years ago makes me a snob or Elitist? If so I'm in good company.

I worked in a Bait&Tackle shop once and watched guys buy the cheapest guns when there were T/C's sitting there with Life time warrentys but a lot more money. I can't begin to tell you how many came back with (insert any excuse here) with boken whatevers and ******. Most ended up buying a T/C while others opted to buy another piece of junk. One year my boss ordered 12 CVA Fronters because they sold for $99.99, he sold all 12 and within two weeks he had 9 come back with broken hammers, triggers, trigger guards, you name it. It was discusting and several had horror storys about the deer that got away. I could only shrug and point over to the T/C's.

So no you won't find any of these cheaper production guns in my house but I don't make a habit of knocking someone for using one either. If it works for you, great. I don't want no part of them. And in my earlier post I mearly just tried to plant a seed in peoples head that if they have 500 bucks they can make that grow if they really want to try. If you don't and a 400 or 500 dollar gun is all you want, I wish you the best of luck, I really do. But I happen to be very proud of what I've been able to do and my website reflects that. :v

Man am I glad you joined the forum. Welcome. I was beginning to think I was the only one that defended a persons prerogative to choose which gun to buy. They’re some very good folks here and the forum is well run. So enjoy and happy shooting. Flintlocks are and adventure.

Often some folks will think how great their import gun is untill they use a better made gun then the light bulb comes on,You really have to have lived in both worlds to know the difference, and if the only thing that matters is putting the bullet on the target one might as well buy a modern ML

They really are an adventure! While I build my own guns now, I like many, started with cheap foriegn guns. Because they were what I could afford at the time.Back in the early sixties I did not have my own machine shop tools( Bridgeport mills and South Bend lathe and surface grinder ) or furniture building shop. Yes getting better quality to start can reduce the tweaking and learning time. But if you don't have the money and want to get started. Get what you can. I personally have never spent more than $150.00 dollars for a rifle or shotgun. Yet I have a douglas barreled target rifle, and a Pedroselli SxS . It takes up to thirty years to find a "great bargin" and up to a year to build a gun in your available time.

". I was beginning to think I was the only one that defended a persons prerogative to choose which gun to buy.'

You've gotta be kidding.Talk about new nicknames, hows Saint ebiggs sound?

Renegade Dan said:
I have an opportunity to purchase my first flintlock rifle, it's a Traditions Pennsylvania flintlock rifle for 475.00 rarely used. I've heard from a few people that they wouldn't own a Trad. Pa rifle. I can't afford a custom built rifle, but I don't want a piece of junk either. any input on traditions pa rifles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My father owns a percussion version. It seems like a fairly decent gun - solid, very muzzle heavy, decent triggers. It has less than ideal stock design since it both has a narrow, crescent buttplate and not enough drop to get that buttplate in the armpit instead of on the shoulder, so recoil can be a little unpleasant, though the weight of the piece helps in that regard. Not historically correct, if that is important to you.

The lock is the big unknown, I think. I suggest you make sure it will spark properly before buying. As for price, I can't help you there, as they aren't making them anymore. You really have to look at several to see what what the warket price is these days. My father bought his at a flee market for less than $200, though.

Anyway, I'm new to this forum and to ML's and I'm curious as to why some feel the need to disparage any traditional rifle, even with left handed comments like, "there's better ways to spend your money than a Traditions"... What's the problem with these rifles that some of you feel the need to knock 'em down? I get the general impression that the general attitude among the learned here is that any 'manufactured' rifle isn't going to be quite as good as , but, hey, if that's what you want or all that you can afford

tg said:
". I was beginning to think I was the only one that defended a persons prerogative to choose which gun to buy.'

tg,
This guy is brand new and he has drawn the same conclusion as I. So do we make him a Saint also?
EB

No, what you do with any new guy is to encourage him to test fire as many guns as he can, before making a choice for the cheapest thing he can buy.

I started with a cheap import that was a POS. I spent many hours fixing that gun to turn it into a shooters.

I used that experience to learn how to tune Percussion locks, and later " bartered" my knowledge to a new friend who knew all about tuning flintlocks, but had never worked on a Percussion lock, to get him to teach me how to tune flintlocks.

When he learned how similar it was to work on, and "fix " percussion locks, and when I learned how similar it was to work on, and "fix" flintlocks, we both had a huge Laugh at each other :blah: :rotf: :idunno: We became fast friends to the day he died. In fact, I was the last person he talked to before his untimely death. :( ( He died of a Multiple Sclerosis Seizure.)

As Mike Brooks has often said here, what you can afford is very relative. He has built his collection of guns over the years with very little money to spend. He has sold guns from his collection to finance the purchase of something better. There are lots of ways for people who are on fixed incomes, or who don't earn a lot of money to save up the money to invest in a well made gun.

Because I "fixed" my cheap gun and made a shooter out of it, and because I won enough matches with it at the club for others to take notice, when I wanted to sell the gun to finance my New, Semi-custom made rifle, I found a ready buyer who was willing to pay my asking price. She bought the gun for $25.00 less than what I paid for it. I threw in some gear to sweeten the deal- and get rid of stuff for which I had no other use. I received an invaluable education on how only how to choose the guns I buy more wisely, but also how to fix the cheap guns so they can be shot reliably.

Not every buyer is that stubborn, or as courageous to fail, by trying to fix the cheap junk he buys. If you are not willing to fail, you will never learn anything new, nor succeed, once in awhile, in making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I am always willing to help someone LEARN how to fix his guns to make them shoot. But, not everyone is so inclined. The others would be much better served by suggesting they save their money for awhile( delayed gratification) and buy a more expensive, but better made gun, IMHO.

I have NO problem with people buying Traditions guns, PROVIDED, that they understand the design problems with the guns, and either correct them themselves, have others do it for them, or learn to live with the problems. Too many people today are just as silly as we were 60+ years ago, as kids, watching Davy Crockett, on TV. They think all they have to do is buy a gun that looks like what they see on TV, and then just shoot it. They are so often horrified to find out that the gun won't fire, or at least won't fire reliably.

OHIO Ramrod, is merely trying to do you new shooters a favor. He doesn't deserve The attacks made on him. Yes, we hear reports here all the time that someone has purchased a Traditions rifle and its shoots just fine. We wait to see HOW LONG IT SHOOTS JUST FINE. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. :hmm: :thumbsup:

Paul,

I think we can all agree that for someone to get their feet wet, we all hope that whatever gun they buy is reliable and relatively problem free. :surrender:

We all want a newcomer to have a very good experience with a Flintlock and be encouraged in pursuing their newfound interest.

That said, let's wish them the best of luck...and be here to answer their questions as they journey on down the path. And be honest in telling them that even the best guns sometimes need to be tweaked abit. It's not just the production guns that can get finnicky on ya'... :thumbsup:

Robbvious said:

And I caint see why anybody'd wanta put Alaska up against Arkansas.

ebiggs said:
Anyway, I'm new to this forum and to ML's and I'm curious as to why some feel the need to disparage any traditional rifle, even with left handed comments like, "there's better ways to spend your money than a Traditions"... What's the problem with these rifles that some of you feel the need to knock 'em down? I get the general impression that the general attitude among the learned here is that any 'manufactured' rifle isn't going to be quite as good as , but, hey, if that's what you want or all that you can afford

tg said:

tg,
This guy is brand new and he has drawn the same conclusion as I. So do we make him a Saint also?
EB

I don't what your problem is but both you and the new guy have totally taken my first post wrong and I had to explain that in another post. If you can't see it by now your not going to it seems.

Pointed to those who say the below:

i'll say the same thing i say on other forums... If that "cheap" piece of junk is just what you say it is, why not send it to me so i can play with it?

No one in the past 4 years has even taken me up on that offer :shake:

Kentuckywindage said:
Pointed to those who say the below:

i'll say the same thing i say on other forums... If that "cheap" piece of junk is just what you say it is, why not send it to me so i can play with it?

No one in the past 4 years has even taken me up on that offer :shake:

I don't understand your post except to keep the **** stirred. I never said anything bad about the guns you use until I was forced to. My original post on this thread which seems to have caused a lot of undo ******** was just mearly to show there are other options one could think about. What the original poster decides is up to him and frankly I don't care what he does and wish him luck with whatever he decides. I don't know why it's so hard to see that but some have turned my comments into a production gun bashing and seem upset over it. And it wasn't any of that at all in the begining. :shake:

:hmm: It's interesting to read what all of you have said. I've built a couple of rifles from kits. One is a Dixie Gun Works full stock flinter and the other a Thompson center plains rifle in the New england style. Both are accurate shooters, putting a three inch group in the bullseyes at 50 yards. :thumbsup: I purchased a Traditions Pennsyvania rifle. It looks identical to a 32 cal percussion original model my dad had. Same brass inlays. I never had any problems with it. Never had any problems with it's flintlock mechanism. I've fired hundreds of rounds through it. It is the most accurate of the rifles I have. At 50 yards solmetimes the holes in the target are touching each other. Of course I'm using a sandbag rest. :hatsoff:

Hanshi,
For my $400 plus bucks I sure as hell don't
expect "Luck" to be a variable. If I have to
"replace the lock" to get reliable ignition,
that adds up to a piece of junk to me. I had trouble following the logic of your entire post, but what does "maybe the variable is the owner not the gun" mean? :hmm:
TR

Back