• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

62 cal. Jaeger loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a reproduction 62 caliber TW Pistor Jaeger. This is my first non-inline muzzeloader. What are some good loads for it?

Could you share the barrel length and what type of projectile you would like to use?

makeumsmoke said:
Could you share the barrel length and what type of projectile you would like to use?

Thanks for replying.
I'm thing a 60 cal round ball as the projectile. I will get back to you on barrel length. :redface:

I am lucky all of my .62s like .595 ball with ticking. The barrels are 35" 34" and 32" The 34" is a Colerain

M38 said:
makeumsmoke said:

Thanks for replying.
I'm thing a 60 cal round ball as the projectile. I will get back to you on barrel length. :redface:

ETA - I meant thinking not thing - responded to early in the morning ...

I have .62, 31" jaeger and my standard load is 60-80gr of BP, .600 ball with .18 patch. Only target shooting.

I've just started gathering the parts for my Jaeger. I picked up a 28-1/2" Colerain Hessian Jaeger barrel(1-66"?), and am having a stock carved from rather plain, straight English walnut.

In that my 1-56" 58cal likes powder charges in excess of 80gr ffg, I would expect the 62cal to like even heavier charges.

makeumsmoke said:

The barrel is 28 inches long

.600 rb 1 62 cal. OxYoke wad lubed ...40 cotton duct.. .027 patch 90-110 FFF-Goex

100 gr of FF Swiss and a .610-.615 ball. Heavy pillow ticking patch. Lube with Neatsfoot oil.
Place to start at least. If its got a .620 bore size. If its smaller you may need a smaller diameter ball or a thinner patch.

Dan

I just got a new .62 jaeger yesterday with a 31" Getz barrel. As soon as the weather clears up so I can shoot I'll let you know what load it seems to like.

AlanA said:
Um, to be HC w/ a Jaeger, wouldn't you be hammering a naked lead bore sized ball down the barrel? :nono:

No, no, no.
That is a Jaeger myth. There were a few that were loaded that way but, somehow, the idea has become accepted for all Jaegers. That makes it a myth. If you will send me your e-mail, I'll send you a great article from a 1970s American Rifleman magazine about Jaegers. Blows a lot of myths.

wahkahchim said:
Can you tell us who built your Jaeger? Sounds great!

I don't recall even saying I have a Jaeger in this thread. :wink: But I do. It was built by Mike "Hawk" Pierce and is great. Some really beautiful touches in it. It is a .54 cal. with Montana barrel, Davis Jaeger lock (big misteak using Davis :( ).
Jaegerrifle-1.jpg
[/img]

Back