• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiakemt414

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What type of brush should you use? I read on here about brushs getting stuck because it wouldn't change directions. Do you even really need a brush?

Second. How and what you do use to clean the nipple area on the barrel? i.e. threads, hole into the barrel

This is for a side lock.

What type of brush should you use? I read on here about brushs getting stuck because it wouldn't change directions. Do you even really need a brush?

Second. How and what you do use to clean the nipple area on the barrel? i.e. threads, hole into the barrel

This is for a side lock.

For the rare occassion that I need a barrel brush, I use a standard brass bristle brush. Otherwise water, some-sorta-animule-snot, or cleanser and patch.

For the nippple area I use an old toothbrush and pipe cleaners. Nothing on the threads or in the drum except a little thread lube.

The nipple hole threads get cleaned pretty good with the syphon action of the WATER, being forced through. (Rat) I usually spray some WD-40 in and them clean swab the inside good with a Q-tip.

Greetings Kodiakemt414,

If you use the flush-tube method or use very wet solvent-soaked patchs or have a patten breech plug that traps cleaning solvent, you will definately need to spray something like WD-40 down the barrel to drive out the moisture.

If this is not done, the moisture will leech out of the barrel threads and rust the breech area of the bore. Even the best of the water-based bore cleaners will cause bore rust if not properly used.

A lot of cleaning information has been posted on other threads; you might find this information helpful.

Best regards, John L. Hinnant

If you do use a bore-brush make sure you get the ones formed of a wire stuck through a hole in the threaded fitting and NOT the kind that is just swaged onto the threaded end. I had one of the latter seperate at the breech end of a Renegade and I had to use my whole Sailor's Vocabulary before giving up and removing the breechplug so I could oush it out. :curse: :curse: :curse:

Roundball has since told me I could have just sleeved a copper tube over it and backed it out. BUT WHERE WAS HE 25 YEARS AGO?

THE only time I ever removed a breechplug, and one of the last times I used a bore-brush in a m/l. I still do on rare occasions.

A Thompson Center bore brush (10/32 threads), of the correct caliber, for most ramrods, or a Hoppe's bore brush, (hoppe's shotgun cleaning rod), again of the correct caliber, will work. These usually fit loosely in the barrel, and you should have no problem. What method do you use to clean your barrel? This will make a difference on how to clean the nipple area. I like the bucket of hot soapy water method. As Rebel, said the syphoning action of the patch and jag should clean this area, and threads.

If when using a brass brush in your bore it gets really tight or it get stuck give it a clockwise turn and you should be able to get it back out. When you twist the brush it kind of shrinks the outside diameter of the brush to ease the removal. I use a pipe cleaner doubled over with some T/C 13 bore cleaner in around the nipple area. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
Rob

I have been using the water method for 3-4 years and it works fine for me. I also like a pipe cleaner in the drum area of the nipple. I havent used a brush yet.

For my first cleaning of my new (old) New Englander I sprayed some gun scrubber down the barrel, ran the brush, ran a few wet (gun scrubber) patches, ran a few dry patches, ran a few wet (Shooters Choice) patches, ran a few dry patches. Never did get 100% clean, but close enough for mountain man work. Finally swabbed with German oil whose name I can't remember. I used some steel wool on the nipple which I'm probably going to replace and coated the threads lightly with some grease. I then stood it up in the corner, barrel down and will eventually put it back into the safe.

This gun was pretty gunky and I'm wondering if the "dirt" in the barrel isn't really rust. It didn't come out red so I'm hopeful.

BTW, can you take the breech plug off a New Englander?

Back