• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle - just arrived today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a real nice piece. I've been wanting a swamped 40 for a long time and you've just stirred up the embers again. Enjoy... :thumbsup:

SSSSwwwweeeeeeetttttt rifle ONV, just enough "adornment" to make it "yours". You'll LOVE the .40 cal, even if you will just use for smaller critters or punching holes in paper.

Good looking rifle, and you don't have to worry about scuffin' that nice wood when you're carrying it across your saddle!

To say I am pleased with this rifle would be a gross understatement. Took it out today expecting to do a lot of shooting so I could start hitting paper. Not so. Without doing anything with the sights, I tried 3 shots offhand at 25 yds.
IMG_0043.jpg

I was amazed so immediately went to the bench at 50 yds. Even with my trifocal eyesight, I managed a 5 shot group that measured 2 inches.
I'd like to be able to say that the first (or last) 3 shots were in the same ragged hole but in truth that is not the order they went in.
IMG_0044.jpg

Getting really bold now I try an offhand shot. It hit the paper!
So I posted another target and tried 5 shots at 50 yds offhand. I rarely shoot offhand except for wingshooting with the shotgun. I was incredulous at how easy it was to keep this rifle on target. Normally I wiggle all over the target but the balance and weight of this rifle kept it rock steady. Forgot the target but managed a 6 inch offhand group.
I haven't done anything to the sights yet and won't until I settle on my patch/powder/ball/lube combination. Using 50 grains of 3f with a .389 cast ball and 0.015 inch patch with mink oil lube worked very well. But I still have to go through the fun of trying a bunch of combinations. At least a pound of powder worth of checking. Then I'll tweak the sights a little.
I didn't wipe between shots or even at all. I wanted to see when the loading got hard. It never did. Last ball loaded just as easy as the first. I could even thumb start the ball with a little extra pressure. It started to drizzle a little or I would probably still be out there thinking about posting a target at 100 yds.
When I cleaned the rifle, only two wet patches and the barrel was coming clean. A third patch and it came out clean and dry. Put a bore light down and yup, it was shiny bright all the way. I'll run a few more patches through tomorrow just to be sure. Also another excuse to spend a little time just handling that rifle.

Nice looking gun you got, OldNam.
Where in Mid-MI. are you? I'm in Prudenville and also an ONV. Maybe I'll bump into some time at some local function if I haven't already.

Keb

To me this is a perfect gun. Beautiful wood, beautiful lines. All the additional furniture, utilitarian AND decorative, perfectly inlaid, flush with the wood. A nice, simple rifle. We already know she's a shooter, so that's the meat and potatoes to go with all the other icing on the cake! You're going to enjoy this rifle. Imagine how pretty she'll be with a few years' patina from your hands and the elements? Yep, aging will only improve it. Looks like a merry Christmas for you!

Fantastic!!!! :hatsoff: and she shoot good too. :surrender:
Merry Christmas
Dusty :wink:

Fantastic!!!! :hatsoff: and she shoot good too. :surrender:
Merry Christmas
Dusty :wink:

Back