• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ageing antler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne1967

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What steps do you take to put the dark aged look with a flame on antler? I tried it once with a candle with no luck. Before I try a torch and screw it up is there something I missed?

Hi,

I tried the "magic mapple" liquid from dunlap woodcraft, the result is really nice. The product is originaly made for wood but works fine on bone, horn, antler...
Does not directly answer your question, but maybe that could help.

Jock

after a few minutes web search. I only found one reference to flame darkening antler. It only gave one sentence about using a torch to darken and harden antler on knife handle slabs. My suspicion is that it would nearly be burned fairly dark to be effective and then scrub/rub/sand/ or polish it back to lighten to suit your tastes.

What I would do is try a small piece or two of scrap of antler first before your char your project. Torch one piece fast, hot and dark and burn one piece slower with the flame much farther away for a longer heat time. Hope this helps and good luck.
Steve

Wayne no matter what technique ya finally try, if you are going to use heat on antler DO IT OUTSIDE!!!!! If ya don't ,your significant other will be sleeping by herslf in a high dollar hotel until the smell goes away n that could take weeks. Nothing stinks like burnt bone, antler and horn EEEEEYYYYUUUKKKK!!!!!!!

the wood stain will work but may rub off with use at least to some degree . You may want to try sealing it after you have stained it and have the look you want. I had a friend try the prod called Old Bones wich I belive is a diluted form of Potassium Permanganate. The torch method sounds intresting

Wayne, I use a propane torch quite regularly for ageing antler; just play the flame all over and don't hold it in one spot for too long.The more you play it, the darker it will get. The heat will really dry it out so I always give a good coat of linseed oil or beeswax after I get it to a good color, then polish it with a piece of flannel.

I have a mixture of brown and yellow rit dye I simply boil the handle to the desired color. works well with horns to .

many holes said:
I have a mixture of brown and yellow rit dye I simply boil the handle to the desired color. works well with horns to .

That is probably the better way of getting a long lasting color.

I had good luck with some Fieblings leather dye. The good alchohol based stuff. It was the medium brown I recall...

Latest posts

Back