• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turning a 50 into a 58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIRTYDAVE

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a old cva 50 cal that I would like to change into a 58 cal.I have a Cabelas 58 cal barrel that is same size but has no breech plug would a cva breech plug fit it?does anyone know if they are same size?dont want to take apart my 50 barrel want to keep it so I can swap back if wanting to.any help would be great.

Do you know if CVA made a 58 hawken?The Cabelas is like the T/C and that would through off the barrel lugit ads a inch.

To the best of my knowledge, the .58 in a CVA was called a Big Bore Mountain rifle, not a Hawkin. I have one I built in the 70's, it is more of a plains style of rifle.

Do you know if it was a 15/16 barrel?The Cabelas is 15/16 the breech plug may fit it and I could just drill a hole for flintlockspark.

Birddog6 said:
To the best of my knowledge, the .58 in a CVA was called a Big Bore Mountain rifle, not a Hawkin. I have one I built in the 70's, it is more of a plains style of rifle.

They always called their rifle a Mountain rifle. I've always thought it was the best gun CVA ever made, and they got my respect by not jumping on the band wagon and calling it a Hawken. I had a chance to shoot one a few weeks back that had a replacement lock on it and the made in America barrel, and it was a great shooter. We were killing old golf balls at 40 to 50 yards with it off hand and had a grand old time! :thumbsup:

Mine sat in the safe for 17 years. One day was going deer hunting & meeting someone at the camp so I took it as a backup. Thousht I better test fire it since I had not shot it in 17 years. This is the first 3 shots after sitting all that time.

58calGroup50ydNov02.jpg

Moved the sight up & over a tad & was dead on. Decided to hunt with it the next day & shot 2 deer with it that day. :grin:

So your .58 barrel does not have the patten breech or the plug the screws in the back?
I would take it somewhere to find the thread size and pitch.
There is a company called Deer Creek that I here still has CVA parts, find them they might know the thread and pitch of a CVA plug.
I searched Numrich Arms,VTI, Tow and Dixie, they don't seem to have breech plugs for CVA.
Awhile back there was a gent I think it was 50cal Cliff that was doing some conversion work on a CVA hawken.
I got a wild hair to a .58 Cabela's barrel in a TC stock, won't do that again. They are close but there are enough differences to take the fun out of it.
Good luck on the project, Bernie

Dave, as another option, TOW recommended a custom breeching shop to me in Las Cruces, New Mexico...owner is Dennis McCandless...had him make & install patent breechplugs for me on Rice .58 and .62cal barrels, drilled & tapped for 1/4" x 28tpi vent liners...outstanding job...have to squint to see the seam where the plug mates to the barrel...
http://cap-n-ball.com/McC/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back