• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where does one find Bee's Wax for sale?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Bubba Daddy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to make my first batch of Moose Snot and I was wondering where one can find bee's wax for sale? I know I can order it from different websites but I was hoping to find it in a shop locally. Where have you all picked up yours?

Also, I am presuming caster oil is available at drugstores?

Thanks,

Pete

You might check the yellow pages for local beekeepers. They generally have the best prices, and that's not a high income profession, so I'm sure they appreciate all the support we can give. Some shops that handle candle making supplies have it also, but it tends to be more costly there.

You are in luck: Beekeeping is a major agricultural industry in California - pollination, you know.

Contact your state's department of agriculture - there's probably a county office where you live - and ask him for the name of your county's chief beekeeper or "apiarist" (yes, in most states, it is a real, appointed government office). That individual can put you in touch with any number of local sources.

The big commercial outfits sell their stuff to the wholesale market, but hobby and small-scale apiarists often sell their beeswax at $5 to $7 a pound.

It's a great hobby - I guess. My bride did it for several years, and the local beekeepers are some of the nicest people you'll ever want to meet. And they put on GREAT dinners, too, with lots of honey recipes.

Me? I just don't socialize with bees... :surrender:

Toilet gaskets are pure bees wax. There's also, a place here in Eugene called Glory Bee Honey, (they do mail order, google the name for the link) they sell wax as well. You could also look for places that sell to candle makers.

At one time the toilet gaskets were beeswax but are now mostly a mineral oil compound as its cheaper to produce.

I've picked up beeswax at a local beekeeper selling honey. I've also found beeswas at craft stores like Michaels...
Scott

If you have a "Michaels" craft store near you, they sell it both filtered (really white) and non/less filtered (more brown colored) and I'm sure any craft store that sells candle making supplies has it.......hope this helps

Was in the same boat last week, I got castor oil cheap cause I work at Longs Drugs, but I had no source for cheap beeswax, the craft store wanted $12 a pound. I searched ebay and while some places are pricier than others, I settled on a half pound for about $5 including shipping...not too much less unfortunately

IXOYE said:
Toilet gaskets are pure bees wax.

Good gracious no...there aren't enough bees in the world to make the beeswax it would take for all those toilet rings :grin: ...that's all man-made synthetic stuff...just used one this weekend in fact

Used to be they were. Not in 20 years or so, or at least they tapered off to a synthetic goo now.

Though that works GREAT as dubbing wax for tying flies. Get about 30 guys together and split the ring. ;-)

Stumpkiller said:
Get about 30 guys together and split the ring. ;-)
Somehow the image of that is probably not what you had in mind. Just a little TOO primitive for my sensibilities. :shake:

:rotf: :rotf:

-----any body want my old toilet ring if I ever get it changed to a new one----- :blah: -----you could boil the $--T out of it----- :confused:

Back