• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

US made side by side muzzleloading shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
How come no US maker builds a side by side muzzleloading shotgun? I figure that there is some sort of a market for it.Maybe I am wrong.

bigbore442001 said:
How come no US maker builds a side by side muzzleloading shotgun? I figure that there is some sort of a market for it.Maybe I am wrong.

In my area I havn't seen anyone out hunting birds with BP shotguns. Matter of fact when they see me out they ask why I'm using that. I just have a TC New Englander single 12 ga and the price of a good double was out of the question when looking into trying the BP shotgun sport. Now that I like it I may look for one but not a must have for me. The single does well.
So no I don't think there is a need for them to make them, not with some good imports out there. I'm sure there are some custom builders out there and for the diffrence in price of a good double it might be the way to go. IMO

Side by sides are relatively difficult and expensive to make. Even the modern ones (the good ones) are high priced.

I remember that about 10 or 12 years ago I stopped in a little pawn shop down in Carlsbad, New Mexico. There, I found what appeared to be an original SxS flintlock. It didn't look like a 12 ga., but it was bigger than a 20ga. I figure it might have been a 16 or even a 14 guage. It was in good condition, the whorly lines of the damascus barrels was beautiful, the stock had some dings, and needed a good cleaning, the bore was bright. Priced at $600. it may have been a good deal, but I didn't have the funds!

I, personally, feel it would be a good seller in a reasonable price.Somewhere I read that side by sides were frequently used during the fur trade era as camp guard weapons at night. Not sure if it was flint or percussion. Most likely flint. So it would appear they were around away back.

Most folks gripe about the cost of the Italian doubles. An American made double will be more expensive, so you'll hear even more griping.

Cutfingers said:
I, personally, feel it would be a good seller in a reasonable price.

Thats the word reasonable. :thumbsup: And we normally get what we pay for. Doubles cost more to build.

Being retired and on a limited budget I have to look at "reasonable" in a different way. I'm perfectly awear that you get what you pay for but there is a limit. Too many people buy for the "name" and not the quality. Dixie does have a double percussion for $775. Seems it would not take too much to make this in flint and that price would be reasonable.

The only U.S. made side by side is the Ruger Gold Label which retails for about $2500. The gun Dixie sells for $775 is made in Italy and would cost at least twice that if made in the U.S.

:shake: I believe that Ruger has abandonned the Gold Label.
RBL in Connecticut is producing by far the finest made in the USA shotgun. Everything is produced in the same building. These guns are price fairly; but have a long waiting period before delivery.

arkrivco

Back