• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brass matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have more work done and would like to show it to you. But I made the mistake trying to link here from photobucket before 12 hours had gone by.
So the pics would not show. And once you do that it seems the pics are no good. So I deleted them earlier today and uploaded them again just now. So I will wait until tomorrow evening to link them here. They should surely have 'taken'.
volatpluvia

Here is pic of the work in progress. Sadly, even reposting the two other pics did not result in my ability to post them here. It is close to being done. Matchlocks are really simple. That is nice.
link001.jpg

volatpluvia

That looks nice :thumbsup: i don`t understand the picture posting problem, i can post as many and when ever i want from photobucket.

Pitchy,
My experience is this: If don't wait 12 hours for some reason the link will not work. :( :shake: :shocked2: :surrender: I have no idea why. I'll have a couple more pictures soon so I will be able to show what those two pictures showed. :grin: One of them showed the back side of the pivot for the dog, where the trigger link is coupled to, so you can see that now. :)
volatpuvia

Pitchy,
I have the pics posted at photobucket. I will link them here tomorrow evening. The lock is basically finished. I set off a pan full of powder with slow match in the jaw of the dog by pushing down on the trigger link. Very satisfying. Now if the wood will dry! I will console myself in the meantime by starting on the lock for the wheellock pistole. It will be steel, brass would be nice, but steel is available.
volatpluvia

Sounds good, i`m sure it`s going to be a dandy. :bow:
One of these days i`m going to post a picture that resembles one of those wheelie things. :hmm:

The innovation and creativeness on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Your lock looks great. I can't wait for the wood to dry either.

Pitchy,
As you can see, I fired off a pan of 4f. Instant ignition! I was particularly satisfied with crafting the jaws of the dog. It was made of rolled brass and was work hardened. So I heated the head to red and dipped it in water. Sure enough soft as lead. So I cut down the dog in the middle of the thickness with a jeweler's saw and did some bending until it worked. First time I tried it with brass. I think it would endure quite a few 'adjustments' before becoming work hardened enough to break.
volatpluvia

Titus,
Thanks. It will be a while because the Maple has to dry. Meanwhile I do other things.
volatpluvia

Volatpluvia,

I am wondering about how that brass will wear, especially where the shaft of the serpentine goes through the lock plate. I'm just brainstorming here, but would a bronze bushing help to prevent the hole in the lock plate from wearing out?

Tim

Back