• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite movies set before 1840

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True "Big Sky" where Douglas gets liquored up & Hunnicut wacks off his finger! :shocked2:

Davy

I remember a movie with Spencer Tracy set in New York and Vermont during the revolution. Was it about Ethan Allen? I'll never forget watching it as a kid and one of his men becomes a canibal (carried a head in his rucksack) and then commits suicide. That was pretty powerful stuff for a movie from the 30's or 40's. Does anyone know the name of that film?

Northwest Passage set during the French and Indian War with Rogers raid on St Francis..Classic....Mark

No one has mentioned one of my all time favorite movies, "The Journey of August King" Set in 1815 Carolina mountains it stars Jason Patric as a simple farmer helping a slave girl escape to the north. It is a wonderful story, well acted, filmed on location in Carolina and not a cliche of provious films. A farily recent film, it is a real gem. I am surprised so few have listed Black Robe. That is a great period film. Films like the Patriot, Mountainmen etc are entertaining but August King and Black Robe are fine cinema.

Master & Commander, Far side of the world
The Patriot
The Alamo
Thats about all I can recall now.

The Patriot
The Last of the Mohicans
The Crossing
Pirates (Walther Matthau)
Master and Commander
these are good. :applause:

Can't remember the name , it was about an indian
I think he kidnaped a girl... yadaydada, purty good action scenes if i remember correct
Iron Eagle... something along that name

To me, the best of period movies seem to put me into a historic period. Movies like Patriot, Mountainmen, etc are entertaining and have some good scenes like some of the battle scenes in Patriot but overall they are typical hollywood product. Patriot reminded me so much of Braveheart that it was hard to really enjoy.
Al Pacinos "Revolution" has some problems, especially some of the locations, but overall it really puts you in revolutionary america. The scenes in the citys have never been done better and they were done without computer generated effects.
Other movies that seem to me like a window to a past period are,
Journey of August King
Black Robe
Last of Mohicans
Drums along the Mohawk
Kidnapped (fairly recent version with Armand Assante
Unconquered (with Gary Cooper)
Rob Roy

Since people don't seem to limit their choices to the US, I'll add a few worth seeing from European and Japanese cinema, although a few from the Americas filter in:

The Mission
-missionaries caught between Church and congregation in New Spain
Dangerous Liasons
-nasty French aristocrats
La Nuit de Varennes
-the attempted escape of Louis XVI from France
Queen Margot
- the St. Bartholemew's Day Massacre
Restoration
- the reign of Charles II of England
The Return of Martin Guerre
- is he or isn't he her long-lost husband?
Nosferatu
-both versions are good, although the original Murnau version is certainly better, given its time period. the original Dracula flick.
Rashomon; Ran; Throne of Blood
- Akira Kurosawa samurai masterpieces
Cyrano de Bergerac
- Gerard Depardieu with a big nose and a fantastic performance
Henry V
-I like the Kenneth Branagh version
Mutiny on the Bounty
- gotta love Charles Laughton
and of course for those of you who love to go waaaay back...

Quest for Fire or One Million Years BC -See which set of dialogue makes more sense...

Was there dialog in One Million BC? I kin only remember Raquel's cold weather furs. :hmm:

I don't remember any. I am like you in that the only thing I remember is Requel Welch in the furry bikini. As I remember that was the only redeaming feature of that flick.

Quest for fire, now that goes back in time a bit. I really enjoyed that movie actually, Hollywierd at its best but ya got to admit some of the scenes were funny as all git out, when one of the three drops a rock on another ones head n then laffs or when they are trapped in that small tree by the cave lion n eat every leaf until the tree is bare n then fall asleep n fall out of the tree, just plain too funny. Some times movies are best viewed for what they are "ENTERTAINMENT".

Similar to "Black Robe" is "The Mission", about a Spanish missionary in South America. Lots of BP smoke. Great music as well.

Ricky - that movie was called..Grey Eagle... one scene should be deleted. lucky for me a good friend told me when it would show up. parents should watch it first before kids see it. my 2 cents though.

BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF- Set in 1750's France.
CUTTHROAT ISLAND
THE VIKINGS
SHARPE SERIES (BBC AMERICA)
LAST OF THE MOHICANS
THE MOUNTAINMEN
THE KENTUCKIAN
THE FIGHTING KENTUCKIANS
THE ALAMO
THE PATRIOT
DANIEL BOONE, FRONTIER TRAIL RIDER
THE RETURN OF DANIEL BOONE

Back