• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trick Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Anyone ever split a roundball on an ax before?

How about a recochette shot off an iron skillet into a target?

I split an ax handle before, shot too low... :crackup:

Yea we did that ax trick a couple of months ago took me four shots to split the ball and get both clay pigeons. Each time I shot I hit the ax but was just a hair off to one side just got one pigeon!

Haven't tried the skillet trick yet I'll probably leave that one to Davy and Daniel (Disney)LOL!

Chuck

Ah tried ta split a round ball wit an axe once, but tha darn ball kept a rollin off the table.

Anybody want a table with 7 big axe marks in the top? ::

There's a trick to the ax trick shot, use the biggest caliber gun you can find...

Or, load in a hand full of #9 shot when nobody is looking...

Moosketman,
I have a certificate and patch for shattering both birds, splitting the ball by shooting the edge of the axe face. :thumbsup: This happened at a fun shoot at Blue Ridge Rifles north of Reading PA. When Dad was still living, he was watching me set up to shoot over a chunk of fire wood at a target setting against a tree at ground level. My thumb didn't quite have a real hold on the cock and the gun went off before I was ready. :eek: The maxiball plowed a furrow for about five feet ending six feet before the target. :shocking: It made a perfect keyhole through the center of the target! You win some. :crackup: :crackup:
God bless.
volatpluvia

To make the ax shot even more harder (like one ax isn't hard enough), set up three axes in a "V" and split the round ball on the first blade, then quarter them on the next two blades and break 4 plates...

Oh, the geometry involved...

anyone that hit's just too one side and hit's one pigeon,,missed splitting the ball.(period!) Get this,"I almost split the ball ta hit both clay's,but I was off to one side",,yea right!(chuckle,Hello?)
Ain't no four shot's allowed to split around these parts,,ya split the ball or yer out!
We use split as a tie breaker,15-20yrds(maybe 18, maybe 22),axe handle removed after drivin the head, clays don't touch the blade, two nails holding the bottom of the clay paralell with the bottom of the facing edge of the axe.
We do alot of "novelty" shooting at local 'vous. Card cutting,charcoal,pokerchips,cut-throat cards,hip-shots, behind the log, and team stump shoots ta mention a few.

Split the ball?? yea,,done a few..

p.s. moosecat?? cast iron pan's won't riochet more than once,,they break!

YEA YEA sumtacks it was just 3 of us guys out messin' around no public to show off for at least I told the truth it took me four tries. It was the first time I ever tried it so what. At least I was truthful.

You'll just have to BEAR with my incompetents!

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Chuck Goodall
The Original Huntin' Fool
&
Kanawha Ranger Scribe

p.s. moosecat?? cast iron pan's won't riochet more than once,,they break!

Depends on the angle it's hit, I seen this done on American Shooter on ESPN...

I imagine a full charge will plow through a pan, but a glancing blow from a reduced charge will not...

eegadds's,,at least he told the truth,,yer a good man Chuck. Don't let nobody -infool'ya!
It's tuff ta do "split the ball" at a shoot. Each time theres a miss, ya hafta shut down the range walk down and replace a clay. Good shooters always get close.

Best Wishes too ya all,,thanx,tacks

p.s. moosecat,,how many "commercials" where thar 'tween pans?? and/or how did they get that same "angle" fer each ESPN shooter to shoot at?? Is that ESPN thing made fer TV? or is that what real day to day average hunter/sportsman shootin is like? Was that pan hangin in the breeze? Or sumhow strung up for proper angle?? ESPN,hhmmm.TV,hhmmm. :bull: :bull: :sorry:if i hurt yer feelins by sayin :bull:

I ain't never split the ball, or broke a single clay....but I have bought some beer.
Russ

p.s. moosecat,,how many "commercials" where thar 'tween pans?? and/or how did they get that same "angle" fer each ESPN shooter to shoot at?? Is that ESPN thing made fer TV? or is that what real day to day average hunter/sportsman shootin is like? Was that pan hangin in the breeze? Or sumhow strung up for proper angle?? ESPN,hhmmm.TV,hhmmm. :bull: :bull: :sorry:if i hurt yer feelins by sayin :bull:

I didn't set the shot up, nor did I see how many takes...

For all I know, it could have been steel plates cut and painted black to look like cast iron skillets...

And you didn't hurt Musketman's feelings, member "moosecat" (whoever that is) might be ticked though, but I doubt it... :winking:

The pans were stuck in bales of hay by their handles...

I ain't never split the ball, or broke a single clay....but I have bought some beer.
Russ

I forgot to add that the beer bet is my standard bet for those "hot-shots" who seem to think they can always put'em where they want'em, every time.
Russ

yup,,we use beer bets around here too,, had too buy alot of damn beer too,,,,,seem's sumwhare's at sumtyme down the line I learned a mite or two,,and now I only gotta buy half the beer!;)

Yes, I have split a ball on an axe blade, using my .54 (switch) barrel on my Green River Leman (I made it with a .45 and my friend Harold Tyus made up an Orion .54 for it before I knew how). The range was about 30 feet, at Neill's blanket shoot. Also split a playing card edgewise at that distance. A few others also did so.

Just happen to have a picture of me and the Leman. This is at Neill's squirrel shoot.
herbcard.jpg

Man Herb I am jealous. You live in some beautiful country, you build very nice guns and you even have a full head of hair :crackup:
Zman

Zman- my only shortcoming is, I ain't as smart as I am handsome....

I've done it quite a few times over the years. Our current set up, is you are sitting on a wooden horse. You must keep your feet in the saddle stirrups, and the reins in your teeth. Of course, the reins are too short for anyone to sit up straight to shoot. Then we have to reload, and shoot another gong, without the rifle touching the ground.
When we used to do exhibition shooting, we would split the ball standing up. Then, when BS'ing the tourists, we would sereptitiously slip a goodly amount of shot into the load. At that point, we would do the old "over the shoulder, using a mirror" trick. You would usually break both pigeons, and have a whole new cadre of ML shooters flocking to try the sport.

Yep, we be sneaky!

Latest posts

Back