• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock as a matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarikeen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know this may sound like a strange question, but has anyone who has had trouble with flintlock pan egnition, used a smoldering wick instead - like a matchlock.

Aint tha only one who thought of this, saw museum piece, had BOTH systems, wassa Miquelt thing, early, mebbe tha owner wasnt ready fer tha change or convinced it'd stay.

One might do that in an emergency, but without changes to the mainspring, the lock plate is going to be battered from the cock striking it with full force, and with modern locks using cast parts, your cock would likely break, sooner or later. Ouch!!

I have a picture somewhere. There was a separate serpetine match holder behind the frizzen, which had a litttle swivel cover to expose the prime from above.

I would post the picture but I am due to go offline for pictures at any moment when my Internet connection transfers to the new house :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller,
Yeah, I bought a device that held a serrated wheel and a ronson 'flint' that went into the jaws of the cock. Then you had to glue a leather strip to your frizzen to give enough drag to spin the wheel against the 'flint'. Thankfully I learned how to make black English flints work before I actually did that. I may have it here somewhere yet. Haw!
volatpluvia

Leave the frizzen open and try using a cigarette. I knew those nasty things were good for something. :rotf: Just don't have a lit one around when you're loading though.

Gary said:
Leave the frizzen open and try using a cigarette. I knew those nasty things were good for something. :rotf: Just don't have a lit one around when you're loading though.
Take my word for it you will only do that trick once!

Jarikeen said:
I know this may sound like a strange question, but has anyone who has had trouble with flintlock pan egnition, used a smoldering wick instead - like a matchlock.

Let's look at this from a percussion view-point, what if you were to drill out the face of an old hammer and through the arch of the stem and thread the slow match through it, then mill off the tube of a nipple and drill the hole running through it larger? (only 3/4 deep, to make a powder cup)

Would that work? :hmm:

Latest posts

Back