• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RECOMMENDED LOAD FOR .54 CAL, 430 GRN CONICALS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570steve

32 Cal.
Reaction score
ANYONE HAVE LOAD DATA FOR THE 54 CAL, 430 GRAIN MAXI HUNTER THEY'VE HAD SUCCESS WITH? I WAS PLANNING ON STARTING OUT WITH 100 GRNS PYRODEX OR TRIPLE 7 UNDER A FELT WAD AND CONICAL IN MY T/C BMM.

I'd start with 80 grains of powder and work up in five grain increments to see what it likes. Shoot three shot groups with 80, 85, 90, 95...swab between shots and make sure you load with the same consistency shot to shot.

Good luck.

HD

Here's the data from the TC manual that came with my Renegade , copyright 1983 . Using a 28" TC Hawken barrel and ffg black powder :
  • 90 grns. mv-1263 fps , me-1523 ft.lbs.
  • 100grns. - mv 1345 fps , me 1728 ft.lbs.
  • 110 grns. - mv 1428 fps , me 1948 ft.lbs.
  • 120 grns. - mv 1499 fps , me 2146 ft.lbs.
The 100 grn. load was the most accuarate for the 430 grn. maxi-ball in thier test barrel , so says the TC manual . Your results may vary , like Hunting Dawg said , you will need to experiment to find out which load works best in your rifle . :hatsoff:

I forgot to mention , if you are hunting with TC Maxi-Balls , beware that they may slide forward of the powder charge while you are walking . Keep your muzzle pointed upward while hunting and periodicly check to make sure the maxi-ball is still seated on the powder . I'm speaking from my own experience , I'm not just repeating something I heard or read . :hatsoff:

Back