• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube and Seasoning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyD

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of posts and I'm putting this out here because I see all sorts of conflicting information to the point where I'm really irked about it. I know this has been covered before but I haven't read anything that really satisfies me or makes me think anyone really knows what they are talking about. And a lot of the posts seem to conflict with what is being discussed out there about patch lube, which relates to this issue.

There appears to be a majority consensus that modern ML barrels do not need seasoning and/or cannot be seasoned. I read Paul H. Vallandigham's post (here) that some refer to when discussing the "seasoning myth." With all due respect, for the most part I think a good portion of Mr. Vallandigham's post is hooey. He says that modern barrels are made of steel not iron and you don't need to season steel. Hog wash. I have carbon steel (not cast iron) frying pans that absolutely require seasoning or they will rust and food items will stick if you don't. If you have steel cookware that rusts you likely need to season it. Well, ML barrels are for the most part are carbon steel and rust big time if you don't take care of them properly. Mr. Vallandigham's theory that there is no way for oils to penetrate and get burned into and fill the pores of steel also doesn't hold up. If my carbon steel frying pans can retain a coating of seasoning so can a ML barrel. And it seems like some type of seasoning coating would be beneficial both to prevent rust and provide a slick surface in a ML barrel.

My understanding of seasoning a ML barrel is using natural fats/oils as patch lubes enough times during shooting and the high temperatures from powder ignition will result in polymerization of the fat molecules so that they form a hard coating on the surfaces of the barrels. A little different than seasoning a frying pan, of course, where you coat with fat and heat the pan for an extended period of time, but similar in principal. If the coat and bake method is the type of seasoning Mr. Vallandigham was referring to, then I wouldn't do that either. And I'm no expert, but I do have a chemical engineering degree and recognize that polymerization reactions can be quite instantaneous and could occur during the short time of a muzzle blast. That some polymerization of the fat/oil used in patch lube that gets coated on the barrel at the temperatures that occur from burning BP and creates some type of polymerized coating or "seasoning" on the surface of the barrel seems likely. If you are using saliva or some aqueous-based patch lube, okay no, but those that are using fats and oils as patch lube I would say you are getting some type of seasoning on the surfaces of your barrel, even if it is very minute amount. It seems that this would build up to some degree over time. I would also say that this would have some type of protective and slickening effect, just like in a frying pan, which to me would be beneficial.

There appears to be a lot of negativity out there on the seasoning issue - along the "it's a myth" and "you're reducing your bore diameter and filling your rifling grooves" type stuff. And yet, in the discussion of patch lubes there are many members here using oils/fats as patch lube (maybe some that are even in the no-seasoning camp). If the point of the "seasoning is a myth" mantra is that although you are using fats and oils as patch lube it just really doesn't do anything to season a barrel and/or you don't really need to have it seasoned nowadays because it's modern steel and you are cleaning it thoroughly anyway, then okay, fair enough, maybe so. But there are those that claim it is building up and filling the rifling grooves, effectively "seasoning" your barrel with thick layers of seasoning. So seasoning is not a myth, in fact you're getting too much seasoning. So which is it? If it is reducing your bore diameter and filling your rifling, then you shouldn't be using any fats or oils as patch lube, which is a traditional patch lube. You should probably be using spit, moose milk or Dutch Schoultz's dry patch system, etc. and never introduce any natural oil/fat based product in your barrel during shooting whatsoever. Yet, so many members are using natural oil/fat patch lubes.

I can't prove for sure that seasoning occurs to any great degree or not with fat/oil patch lube. Maybe it all gets blown out or washed out during cleaning. It seems unlikely though. I know the seasoned carbon steel frying pans I have don't lose their seasoning even with washing in hot, soapy water. And I do notice that after around 50 rounds or so using a natural fat/oil based patch lube in a new barrel there is a pronounced shift in the amount of fouling that seems to occur and an increase in the number of shots that can be loaded between swabs. If, as some say, it is getting built up and reducing bore diameter and rifling, then the whole "seasoning is a myth" idea gets blown up because you are seasoning your barrel anyway, whether you believe it or not, and can do it way too much. I could see this as a possibility over time if seasoning is in fact occurring and you are adding layer upon layer of seasoning, but I haven't got to that point yet. If there is a definitive post out there someplace about this, I guess I missed it, but I haven't seen anything here or elsewhere that I would call definitive. What would satisfy me is someone taking a cross section of a so-called "seasoned" barrel and analyzing its surface and any coatings it may have and compare it to a similar barrel that has been shot without the use of any natural oils/fats. If that has been done, someone please direct me to it.

You just can’t compare cast iron frying pans to modern barrel steel. The grain structure is totally different.
You preserve cast iron by “seasoning”, you preserve muzzleloader barrels by keeping them cleaned and oiled. The oil that you remove prior to loading.
( you want the cleanest conditions possible if you want accuracy)
A lot of Pauls rants were lengthy and some bordering on insane, but without going back and rereading that one, it sounds like I would agree.
You don’t season barrels.
You must have been digging a long ways back, Paul passed away at least a couple of years ago.
Good luck with your quest.

TC's idea of seasoning your bore is total BS plain and simple. Just clean it and oil the darn thing after your done. Run a dry patch or 2 down the bore before loading it.

The problem with the "dry" patch method is that you have to clean the bore between shots in order to get the next one down. I run a nice snug .020" patch in my cva and traditions bores and that dry patch method while it provided good accuracy when swabbing, wouldn't have done me a bit of good in the field.

Here's a link to Mr. Vallandigham's post below. He passed away a month short of 8 years ago. I can't say that I always agreed with his posts but he did have opinions on many subjects and felt the need to share them. I have never seasoned a barrel nor felt the need to however if it makes someone feel better for having done it and gives them more confidence I would say go for it. I'll bet it can't hurt anything. Certainly I would never use anything that could deposit or build up in the bore and lean toward beeswax and natural oil based lubes myself. GreyD you addressed carbon steel frying pans and not cast iron and I believe carbon steel cooks better after it has been used a few times, not sure I would attribute that to it's being seasoned and I have never attempted to season steel pans, just breaking them in?

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/why-we-dont-season-barrels.61745/

I don't understand what all the hoopla is about.
On a new gun it does take some shooting to get it "broke in" where it will produce it's best accuracy.
It appears to me that is a process that both "seasons" and at the same time wears down any left over machining and potential rough spots.
Whether you call it seasoning or breaking in is not going to change the facts. You will be breaking in a new barrel mostly by shooting it.
I do see a lot of folks who like to use some type of abrasive and grind out the inside of a new barrel. (UGH!!)
I am in the camp that says shoot it, clean it properly and don't be so concerned about if that process seasons or breaks in a new barrel. In the end, the result is what it is......a better barrel for the wear.

For you guys who "season" your barrels like you steel and cast iron pans, I have a question.
How do you get the barrel hot enough to "season" it ?
Also, How do you keep from removing said seasoning when cleaning and shooting ?

Comparing a muzzleloader barrel to a frying pan is a poor analogy. IMO.

Try a simple experiment, next time you fry up some eggs in your well seasoned pan, throw in a handful of black powder and light it. let me know how the frying goes after that.

Last edited:
For you guys who "season" your barrels like you steel and cast iron pans, I have a question.
How do you get the barrel hot enough to "season" it ?
Also, How do you keep from removing said seasoning when cleaning and shooting ?

Comparing a muzzleloader barrel to a frying pan is a poor analogy. IMO.

Try a simple experiment, next time you fry up some eggs in your well seasoned pan, throw in a handful of black powder and light it. let me know how the frying goes after that.
OK, if I try that will my eggs taste like sulfur? (JK - )
I season my skillets using 3 separate "firing" sessions.
Wipe a VERY thin coat of vegetable oil on the skillet - bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours, let cool, repeat.
I don't think a muzzleloader barrel will ever reach 350 degrees - and certainly won't hold temperature for 3 hours......

OK, if I try that will my eggs taste like sulfur? (JK - )
I season my skillets using 3 separate "firing" sessions.
Wipe a VERY thin coat of vegetable oil on the skillet - bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours, let cool, repeat.
I don't think a muzzleloader barrel will ever reach 350 degrees - and certainly won't hold temperature for 3 hours......

It's not about the taste of the eggs but whether or not they side out of the pan. To "season" the metal has to be heated though, as you described. This is unachievable with a muzzleloader barrel.
This too can be tested simply. Take a new unseasoned fry pan and try to "season" it by quickly passing a torch flame over it while holding the pan in the palm of your hand. Proper seasoning will not occur and we still haven't added the black powder to the mix yet which will destroy the seasoning. Then if you clean it, you further destroy the seasoning.

I don't understand why people think barrels can be seasoned when if you treat a fry pan like your muzzleloader you ruin it.

I guess the difference in my mind is that after shooting I thoroughly clean the bore till it is like new. I swab with water and a few drops of dawn then dry thoroughly oil and store.Do that to someones cast iron pan and you have got a fight on your hands. There maybe microscopic stuff filling in the pores of the metal but I really dont think the processes are the same . I would say you break a barrel in and season a frying pan.

Ok. No one seems to understand my point. If you are using natural oil/fats as patch lube YOU ARE SEASONING your barrel. BP ignition is darn well hot enough to polymerize/crosslink fats to form a polymer coating on the inside your barrel just like a frying pan. The whole iron/steel distinction is idiocy. See the attached photo of a seasoned carbon steel frying pan - just like your ML barrel. Seasoning can coat the surface of a carbon steel surface just like it can iron. Prove me wrong or give me evidence to the contrary. Like I said, a cross sectioned barrel with an analysis of any barrel coatings seems to be the only way to prove it or disprove it. The rest is opinion and conjecture.

Attachments

• IMG_4766.jpg
    IMG_4766.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 77
BP ignition is darn well hot enough to polymerize/crosslink fats to form a polymer coating on the inside your barrel just like a frying pan.

BP ignition might be hot enough for polymerization, but the barrel doesn't get hot enough for adhesion to occur. Certainly not uniformly and not in any appreciable amount to be beneficial. You can't season a cold pan. Besides, the fouling and cleaning destroy the "SEASONING".

Anything coating the bore will be mixed with powder fouling. The mixture will be removed when the bore is cleaned. Not to mention the minute amount of lube in contact with the bore after the patch is squeezed into the rifling is no where near enough to cover much of the bore.

just like your ML barrel. Seasoning can coat the surface of a carbon steel surface just like it can iron

The only way you could "season" your barrel like a frying pan is if you treated it like a frying pan and used it as a cooking implement.

Just try to treat your frying pan like a muzzleloder barrel and see how that turns out, go ahead, I dare you.

Hmmm
Just thinking here not arguing one way or other.
Powder burns at a pretty high temp. As I recall about 1700 degrees. You grease your patch and have a ball that works as a great heat sink above it. Still it toast to a dark brown. And if your patch is a bit loose you can get blow by and burn up you patch.
Now when I season cast iron I only get it to hot enough to fry in. Not so hot that my grease would smoke.
And the grease isn’t exposed to direct flame.
Wouldn’t hot flame pretty much burn out any oil in you barrel.
I clean a new barrel but it takes about ten-twenty shots before it really starts to shoot well. I always blamed it on left over oil in the barrel.
When done I clean with water, some times some mild soap. Then after drying I gease. Before I shoot I wipe out the barrel. I don’t think much in the way of oil/ grease/ moose milk in a microscopic film on the inside would stand up to the blowtourch inside the barrel.... just guessing here as I said not arguing just thinking.

BP ignition might be hot enough for polymerization, but the barrel doesn't get hot enough for adhesion to occur. Certainly not uniformly and not in any appreciable amount to be beneficial. You can't season a cold pan. Besides, the fouling and cleaning destroy the "SEASONING".

BP combustion temperatures are around 2800 F (see attached p. 27 1549C BP combustion temp). That is much higher than the 500-600 F typically used in seasoning frying pans. And polymerization reactions are going to occur in a fraction of a second at that high a temperature. You can't say that the metal surface temperature doesn't get heated quickly enough at that temperature to provide some amount of coating adhesion. Agreed that there may be an insignificant or negligible amount and perhaps the fouling and cleaning (or even friction from ball) removes any seasoning, but I don't have that proof, just theory and old wives' tales.

Attachments

• a150455.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 205
The only way you could "season" your barrel like a frying pan is if you treated it like a frying pan and used it as a cooking implement.

Just try to treat your frying pan like a muzzleloder barrel and see how that turns out, go ahead, I dare you.
Note above post... I don’t think heating your barrel is a good idea. But to put on hot brown you heat a barrel as hot as it takes to sizzle water, about what I heat to to season my pots

Back