• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1860 Shoulder Stock Screws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm looking to replace the two shoulder stock screws on my Uberti 1860 with short set screws. As I am ambidextrous with either hand, both screws really irritate either trigger finger. I could just remove the screws from the frame but it would be awful looking to me with the two threaded holes in the frame staring at me. Ugh! 😣. Out of curiosity, I measured a shoulder stock screw with vernier calipers and found the screw major diameter and screw thread length average out to be 0.212" (5.4mm) and 0.096" (2.44 mm) respectively with 2-1/2 threads. Checking both gunsmith screw inch and metric charts did not show the screw as matching up to a standard screw size. It's possible that the screw could be specially made by or for Uberti to their specification or maybe my aging eyes cannot read my calipers right. As such, my question to forum members is if you have replaced either shoulder stock screw on your Uberti 1860 with a set screw. If so, I would be very interested in the screw size that you used and possibly where you purchased it from. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Chuck them in your drill and with a file reduce the diameter of the head as much as you dare. They need a flange to tighten against the frame or they'll go into the action causing trouble. Next thin the head down while still leaving a slot and round them off too. That should solve the problem.

hawkeye2,

Excellent idea! I'll follow your suggestion for making flanged set screws out of the existing shoulder stock screws. I'll be careful when I do it and will blue the flange heads.

I have a very good and talented friend on another forum who has an 1861 Navy 4-screw CFS (cut-for-stock) .36 that he is converting to a J.H. Dance & Brothers revolver. While this might not quite pertain to the OP's interest, I believe it to be pertinent to the question. His method of "hiding" the 4th screw is interesting.

It might not apply to the OP's situation, but I believe it worth a look. Please look through the entire thread.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,3823.0.html
Regards,

Jim

sourdough,

I read your friends thread in the other forum and it is an excellent idea to just disguise the two shoulder stock screws in the frame. Carefully interrupt a thread on each shoulder stock screw with a small diameter punch. Test the screws in the frame for tightness. Re-interrupt the screw thread if necessary such that the screws are tight sufficiently in the frame to prevent movement. Carefully grind off the screw heads flush to the frame with a Dremel tool, polish and blue. The two grind spots on the frame would result in a hardly perceptible grove ring on the frame if the job is patiently done.

Back