• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead & Sand: Remy in the Desert

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! 😀

Just sharing another black powder range day. This morning I woke up bright and early and grabbed my Remington New Model Army and headed out into the Mojave for a fun time!
84DA7BD9-D27E-4BA2-999D-2F2E0FD1FC41.jpeg

C9A84AFA-3D6A-45CF-8828-FC9ACB27C5FB.jpeg

The gun shot great! 60 or so rounds trouble free. This Remington has been extremely reliable for me and I trust it as a defensive handgun. I tried a different load today, Hornady .457s atop 30 grains of 3Fg O.E. powder. and a wonder wad soaked with olive’s oil. Shot pretty well at 20 paces, it’s the lower group in this picture:
8F893E8E-0119-4338-80A4-244D74D9B0A0.jpeg

I so enjoy my Remy! Tough, durable, reliable, powerful, its got a lot going for it. I’ve found they take a bit more time to clean than the Colt’s and I personally enjoy the look and handling of the Colt’s just a bit more, but the Remy is a fantastic shooter with better sights and and is less prone to cap jams in my experience.
Thanks all and take care! Have a great weekend! :horseback:

-Smokey

Is the front sight original to the revolver? Looks tall to my eye maybe just the angle of the camera?

Thanks, gang!

It is a Uberti gun which I antiqued the finish on, I soaked the parts in vinegar to remove the factory bluing and after neutralizing used cold blue and steel wool to build up a patina. It’s since gotten better with time. I also stripped and refinished the grips and roughed them up some. I really enjoy the look of a well used original. I bought this gun at the Sportsman’s Warehouse here in Las Vegas a couple years ago.

Uberti does a great job with these barrels. Nice smooth forcing cone, deep clean rifling, and the muzzle is crowned from the factory. The chambers are also properly sized. I’m betting this revolver can cloverleaf with the right load and I’m going to work on it. ;)

Nice looking Remington, Smokey. You did good. What gauge of steel wool do you recommend? I've used 0000 and it seems a little light.

Have you had and challenges with olive oil soaked felt wads contaminating the powder?

Again, great look and nice shooting.

Nice looking Remington, Smokey. You did good. What gauge of steel wool do you recommend? I've used 0000 and it seems a little light.

Have you had and challenges with olive oil soaked felt wads contaminating the powder?

Again, great look and nice shooting.

Thanks, Gee Dog!

I used 0000 to knock back the cold blue around area that would’ve seen more wear like the muzzle, sides of the barrel, etc. I looked at antique originals for inspiration. Blackie Thomas has several videos on YouTube showing how he antiques his guns that are great.

I just tried the olive’s oil today. It worked much better than the normal lube found on wonder wads and seemed to keep the fouling down in the barrel nicely. I am going to buy a .45 cal wad punch soon as I already make wads for my .36 Navy. I’d give it a try and it didn’t contaminate the powder to any significant degree to my knowledge. I wouldn’t use it for long term loaded storage and it was only a couple minutes before firing.

Nice job on that finish! I thought your gun was an original for a sec. Had to do a double take.

Hard to beat an Uberti Remmy for just plain shooting fun. It never gets old!
B78928DE-E545-4571-BAD6-7016451E8359.jpeg

Back