• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over-priced Pistols!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just examining some of the pistols on Caywood's and ToW's websites; both sites seem to hold their pistols in very high regard.
to me it seems that the workmanship, and parts costs would allow pistols to be sold considerably cheaper than at what they are currently tagged.
These over-priced pieces just give the consumer one more reason to go to the Indian manufacturers.
I don't like Indian weapons, but I can't deny they provide the widest selections with the best prices.

I assume you are talking about completed pistols?

Building a pistol from parts is just about as much work as building a rifle, the main difference being the amount of wood/metal that has to be shaped/polished/finished.
The only price difference is the barrels cost about half as much and the wood costs about 1/4 as much.

I didn't keep track of the amount of time I put into the pistol I reciently made but I'm sure it was at least 100 hours.
If I wanted to be paid about the same as the burger flipper at the local hamberger stand, I would have about $600 just for labor.
The parts cost me about $170 so now we are talking at least $770 (without the velvet lined box I built).

Just my 2 cents.:)

CUSTOM PISTOL

Zonie said:
I assume you are talking about completed pistols?

Building a pistol from parts is just about as much work as building a rifle, the main difference being the amount of wood/metal that has to be shaped/polished/finished.
The only price difference is the barrels cost about half as much and the wood costs about 1/4 as much.

I didn't keep track of the amount of time I put into the pistol I reciently made but I'm sure it was at least 100 hours.
If I wanted to be paid about the same as the burger flipper at the local hamberger stand, I would have about $600 just for labor.
The parts cost me about $170 so now we are talking at least $770 (without the velvet lined box I built).

Just my 2 cents.:)

Now your talkin! :grin: Pedersoli prices for their Mang, Kutz, and Le Page! Nice lookin peices but ... not persactly cheep though! :(

Davy

I sold this one for $600, won't go any cheaper than that and I have sold every one that I made.
IMG_1705.jpg

There is a lot of work in any custom built gun.

I sure dont think that 600$ for that pistol is in anyway overpriced. It looks really sweet, and it is really a custom gun. I dont care if the parts are off the shelf. Manhours really shows over machine minutes. They are just a warmer feel to them :thumbsup:

Thanks :grin: The only thing off the shelf on that one is the Chambers lock and the bolts. The barrel as well as the rest of the harware is custom. :thumbsup:

Roy said:
Thanks :grin: The only thing off the shelf on that one is the Chambers lock and the bolts. The barrel as well as the rest of the harware is custom. :thumbsup:

Beauty Roy ... and worth every penny amigo! Ya pay for what ya get ... quality costs! :thumbsup:

Davy

I really want to reply...but the words don't reflect the season. :hmm:

Merry Christmas.

Hey Zonie:
I figured that the man hours had to be the key. I reckoned That the lock was about the only piece that was priced comperably with musket parts. What I couldn't figure (not being a builder) was that a pistol has a heck of a lot less barrel to inlet, and the over-all carving seems to be less. I'd pay $600.00, but the $1,000.00 + prices that ToW is asking seems really outrageous to me.

notice the lack of carving, no nose cap and a simple grip cap, as well as simple thimbles. not even a thumb piece. when these things are added the prices goes up. I could easily see a $1000 pistol. It all depends on who builds it as well, I have seen $8000 contemporary Flintlock rifles sell. Its all art work isn't it?

Yeah, and beautiful works some of 'em are too. That one of yours is sweet; you don't need embelishments to make that thing shine :hatsoff: I've held some pistols that pointed like natural extensions of your hand, so I guess, as always with custom pieces, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Check out Caywood's Bronz-barelled pistols, man they're sweet. . . even if they do have exterior coned touch holes :winking:
In your opinion, what do you their prices?

Skagun said:
In your opinion, what do you their prices?

If I could get away with charging that much I would :grin: . They work seems a lot cleaner than mine, and I can't come close to engraving like that .... yet :grin:

After all being said its a lot of money, even what I charge (not enough :grin: ) is a lot for what a person is actually getting. :hmm:

You guys must have a lot of money to burn. I'll have to stick with my Pedersoli Kentucky in flint for $195.00.
Old Charlie

Supply and demand... they demand and I try to supply :grin: .

An old RG "Saturday Night Special" and a Colt Python both function similarly, but they are miles apart in quality.

Handled a Caywood pistol once- very light, superb balance, excellent workmanship, and uses high quality, reliable parts.

The same doesn't hold true for your average Indian repro. But for a wall hanger or costume piece, maybe all someone might need.

Jacob
that is VERY well put. I allways look to well made customs before mass produced stuff. If you ever decide to sell them they allways hold more value.

Back