• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

southern rifle,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is a new to me flintlock. it is a southern rifle in 54 caliber. it was built by matt avance of TVM muzzle loading. it has a 38in swamped round bottom riffling barrel. it has a curly ash stock. the lock is a bob roller. I got it Thursday, I bought it from a nice member of the American long rifle forum.
_MG_5665.JPG
_MG_5650.JPG
_MG_5661.JPG
and got mold today. I cast up some round balls. I shot it 5 times today off the bench at 50yds. 75gr. of 2f .535 RB with .018 pillow ticking and ballistol lube, and this is the group. I think it done good for starters,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• _MG_5665.JPG
    _MG_5665.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 191
  • _MG_5660.JPG
    _MG_5660.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 217
  • _MG_5657.JPG
    _MG_5657.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 220
  • _MG_5651.JPG
    _MG_5651.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 269
  • _MG_5666.JPG
    _MG_5666.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 264
That looks like a well-made rifle, and a real beauty, too. That Roller lock is like the cherry on top. Thanks for sharing!

I have a couple of cans of Elephant tucked away in storage. That way I'll never be completely out of powder...

Notchy Bob

That's putting them to good use. Tucked away.

Yup... If you never shoot it, you'll always have it, and never be completely out of powder.

Sort of like keeping a can of chopped liver in the cupboard... you're never going to eat it, which insures you'll never be completely out of food.

Now, back to that rifle, which is a real beauty...

Notchy Bob

this is a new to me flintlock. it is a southern rifle in 54 caliber. it was built by matt avance of TVM muzzle loading. it has a 38in swamped round bottom riffling barrel. it has a curly ash stock. the lock is a bob roller. I got it Thursday, I bought it from a nice member of the American long rifle forum. View attachment 30587View attachment 30588View attachment 30590and got mold today. I cast up some round balls. I shot it 5 times today off the bench at 50yds. 75gr. of 2f .535 RB with .018 pillow ticking and ballistol lube, and this is the group. I think it done good for starters,,,,,,,,,,

I love the color and style of your rifle and would like to make a recommendation to help it stay pristine! The grain run through the wrist is weak and needs to be reinforced with a hickory or even steel rod and glass bedding so it doesn't split out on you with any left side impact pressure. A good blow or even stout lean from the left side could blow out the wrist. The tang and trigger plate will give some reinforcement help but that grain run scares me on such a nice looking rifle.
I'd pull the barrel and bore down through the wrist grain then glass bed or Gorilla glue a 3/8-1/2 in hickory dowel into it. A steel rod could work as well but would have to be drilled to accommodate the tang screw and trigger plate screws. Steel or brass would add weight and might upset the balance so I'd probably defer to straight grain hickory dowel. Done properly it will never be seen and you won't have an expensive repair job in your future.

Last edited:
I love the color and style of your rifle and would like to make a recommendation to help it stay pristine! The grain run through the wrist is weak and needs to be reinforced with a hickory or even steel rod and glass bedding so it doesn't split out on you with any left side impact pressure. A good blow or even stout lean from the left side could blow out the wrist. The tang and trigger plate will give some reinforcement help but that grain run scares me on such a nice looking rifle.
I'd pull the barrel and bore down through the wrist grain then glass bed or Gorilla glue a 3/8-1/2 in hickory dowel into it. A steel rod could work as well but would have to be drilled to accommodate the tang screw and trigger plate screws. Steel or brass would add weight and might upset the balance so I'd probably defer to straight grain hickory dowel. Done properly it will never be seen and you won't have an expensive repair job in your future.
is the ash wood that fragile? or is it just because the way the grain is running?

is the ash wood that fragile? or is it just because the way the grain is running?
Its grain run with any wood even hickory in loading rods. Hickory is about as tough a wood as there is for ax handles and loading rods but the grain has to be straight and not run out to the side. The angular grain is not good any where on a rifle stock but especially so through the wrist as this is the weakest part of the stock. It will be fine though, properly reinforced. A hickory dowel bedded through the wrist works just like a limb growing through a piece of wood your trying to split with an axe. It's just about impossible to make it split with the grain run.

I have a model 141 remington with wood (walnut) with the grain running across the top just like this flintlock. it did exactly what you are saying. it popped right in the grain. I epoxied it and refinished the stock, it fit so good back together nobody could ever tell. I know what you are saying and I will strongly consider it. I was wanting to take the barrel out and check everything over anyway, now this could be a good excuse,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back