• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bayonet for Long Land

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!

I built a long land in '96, but never got a bayonet for it. Colerain Bess 10 bore barrel. What bayonet will work for that? I am not find of the cheap steel in the Indian stuff, but if that is what is available, I will look at it.

Thanks
T

I would just order one from the Rifle Shoppe, especially for a Colerain barrel. Pedersoli bayonets are too small for the larger barrel. I just ordered one myself, it comes as casted so you'll need to file down the burrs and then rest is just filing and polishing. No hardening required,

Thanks. I haven't been able to get anyone to answer at TRS. used to order a number of items from them. I decided to go with some advice I found in a similar thread to contact Loyalist arms with he measurements. They have bayonets to fit. Indian made, so I will need to see what the steel quality is like.

Thanks. I haven't been able to get anyone to answer at TRS. used to order a number of items from them. I decided to go with some advice I found in a similar thread to contact Loyalist arms with he measurements. They have bayonets to fit. Indian made, so I will need to see what the steel quality is like.

Best way to get in touch with the Rifle Shoppe is the old fashioned way with a letter and an order form in the mail. They respond to emails too once they get an order form. They’re a super small outfit and probably get hundreds of questions a day Too I’d imagine.

They have bayonets to fit. Indian made, so I will need to see what the steel quality is like.

Originals were not the best steel either. ;)
The triangle construction with the long taper, in spite of a plethora of myths, is simply the best shape to work with poor steel. 🤤

LD

The triangle construction with the long taper, in spite of a plethora of myths, is simply the best shape to work with poor steel. 🤤

LD

The problem with the India made bayonets isn’t the steel, its hard to use them on other pattern guns like a Pedersoli or miroku Or American made barrel, a sloppy wobbly fit not much you can do other than shim the steel, or weld and recut (Way too much work). However, we do have some very good suppliers locally, the GG Goodwin and Militia House, not super expensive to have them customized either. A heck of a lot cheaper than the Pedersoli bayonets. The Rifle Shoppe is the only place I know of that casts them, which is easier to fit and customize.

Track of the Wolf used to stock some bayonets but have been on backorder for a very long time.

LD
I have seen originals cut on the socket lengthwise and either spread apart or squeezed together to make them fit a different barrel.

Hi!

I built a long land in '96, but never got a bayonet for it. Colerain Bess 10 bore barrel. What bayonet will work for that? I am not find of the cheap steel in the Indian stuff, but if that is what is available, I will look at it.

Thanks
T
No intention to be rude, but why is anyone worrying about the quality of the steel. Are you going to use the bayonet?!

LD

Indeed! Seen some originals that look like a cartoon bayonet that got scrunched on a wall. My biggest issues are too soft, or too brittle - have seen references to some shattering. I have a heat treat oven, so as long as the steel is 1/2 way decent I can fix things.

T

Last edited:
No intention to be rude, but why is anyone worrying about the quality of the steel. Are you going to use the bayonet?!

Possibly.

I have this thing about armor and weapons being functional. I do medieval armored combat and make the gear as well as having my BP shooting interests. I expect everything to be functional because it is often used. Sometimes it is person-to-person, sometimes drill on targets. Have even done contact unchoreographed "skirmishes" with swords, pikes, BP weapons, and even grenades. You just never know...

Overall I just don't have interest in wall hangers and pot metal.

T

Depends on how bad the quality is, some bayonets I’ve seen are so junky they rust out and bend.

As far as using them, I agree, just get one that’s suitable, its not like you’re gonna use it on someone or something.

who cares if it is made in INDIA, if it is the only DOG & PONEY show in town? go for it. the weapon isn't an original piece any way. and you aren't going to really use it, it will be for cosmetics, dress. right?

Possibly.

I have this thing about armor and weapons being functional. I do medieval armored combat and make the gear as well as having my BP shooting interests. I expect everything to be functional because it is often used. Sometimes it is person-to-person, sometimes drill on targets. Have even done contact unchoreographed "skirmishes" with swords, pikes, BP weapons, and even grenades. You just never know...

Overall I just don't have interest in wall hangers and pot metal.

T

Just a question, Do you have any bladesmiths or black smiths around?

Back