• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew .357

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for some more black powder there in New Zealand, we have a company that makes there own, "Holy Smoke", price $120,per 1kg. They also have German Shuetzen powder at $60 per 1kg ,all in ffg and fffg. So is the Shuetzen power any good,. Can get Goex to , so just checking which is the cleaner burning, Thansk guys, Homebrew.357.

I shot goex for years but decided to try schuetzen a while back and have been happy with it. I wouldn't say its better than goex but I think its just as good. I'd buy whichever ones cheaper.

"Holy Smoke" must refer to the price!

Scheutzen is now Swiss and most are great. Just make sure you use the right grain of powder.

Alden said:
"Holy Smoke" must refer to the price!

Scheutzen is now Swiss and most are great. Just make sure you use the right grain of powder.

GARSP!!!!!! That's almost US$65 per pound! What is it made from? Charcoal from the Tree of Life? :confused: :hmm:

tac

Scheutzen is good powder. It's the same as Wano and Graf's. It's consistent because they mix many batches to create each lot. Never before heard that Swiss powder and Scheutzen are the same :confused:

Swiss is Swiss and Scheutzen is, I think, German. Present Goex is said to be pretty good but it has a history of being all over the map.

Swiss is acknowledged generally to be the best but is pricey here and would probably be way over the top in NZ.

Is it illegal to make your own in small quantities? :shocked2:

I'm seriously thinking about doing that here in The Peoples Republic of Maryland if my price goes above $18 a pound...and you're paying $65 or higher per pound!

LD

Swiss is acknowledged generally to be the best but is pricey

My experience with Swiss is not so happy. :( It has blown my groups all over the map. :shocked2:
I have six pounds collecting dust on the shelf in my shop and won't be picked up again until my supply of Schutezen and even "gulp" Elephant is used up. Might be good for sumptin' but my Douglas barreled target rifle sure don't like it. :shake:

Try cutting you powder load by 15-20 percent under your Schuetzen load when you shoot Swiss.

As for Schuetzen powder, I like it.
It is very close to GOEX and sometimes can be found at a lower price. :)

Find a local BPCR shooter. The serious competitors in that crowd tend to build altars to it. :haha:

Like Zonie said, you can back off substantially with Swiss and maintain your POI and velocity.

Swiss was the best I ever used, but it's too rich for my pocketbook.

Hi Guys, my mistake, the Holy smoke is in 1 kgs and the Schuetzen is in 1 lbs. So this could be the price different. I`m shooting fffg Goex and fffg Holey smoke in my .45 Hawken. This supplier is a pyrotechnics fireworks manufacturer and wants $50 haschem for delivering as well. I can get Goex at $61 per lb that I can pick up, so looks like will stick with it and could end up with the wrong stuff, don`t want to fire some ali star powder down range :doh: Homebrew.357.

Goex for $61/lb.? That's pretty insane too. There HAS to be a quantity discount. Maybe you can buy 5 lbs. for twice as much, 25 lbs. for three times as much, or something!? Fixed costs Dangerous Goods and/or storage special handling expenses probably account for much of that premium price...

Go with the schuetzen or whatever you called it. We all use wano over here and it's more than good enough. That is actually a very good price!

Zonie said:
Try cutting you powder load by 15-20 percent under your Schuetzen load when you shoot Swiss.

As for Schuetzen powder, I like it.
It is very close to GOEX and sometimes can be found at a lower price. :)

I have tried the charge reducing bit. Results still El Crappo. :barf: I also noted the recoil, although moderate, is distinctly sharper than with other brand powders. I believe it definitely has a shorter pressure curve than others which affects the accuracy. I know, I know, time at the bench will tell me more. That is in the plans.

Rifleman1776 said:
Swiss is acknowledged generally to be the best but is pricey

My experience with Swiss is not so happy. :( It has blown my groups all over the map. :shocked2:
I have six pounds collecting dust on the shelf in my shop and won't be picked up again until my supply of Schutezen and even "gulp" Elephant is used up. Might be good for sumptin' but my Douglas barreled target rifle sure don't like it. :shake:
If you still have it when the spring shoot rolls around, bring it with ya and I'll take it off your hands. :wink:
Missed ya at the fall shoot but got to visit with Hawk for a while.

Back