• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flip-up Adjustable Sight for a SxS Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot both shot and patched round balls from my Pietta shotgun and have had a hard time 'guesstimating' elevation for 50 yard PRB shots. I bought a Lyman sight similar to what used to be the standard Marlin sight but the rib between my barrels is concave and lower than the height of the barrels so a dovetail wouldn't work.

I angled the base of the sight on the right and left, ground a flatter spot on the rib, roughened the bottom of the sight base and epoxied it on with JB Weld Kwik.

Seems sturdy and stable. We'll see after I shoot it a dozen times if it's still that way.

Now, if only the barrels were regulated .......

Mine hasn't broken .. yet. Parts for this thing are difficult to get. I don't think there's even a source for lock springs .. at least I can't find one.

If you're using the front bead for wing shooting, I worry about raising your head high enough to see the bead over the sight, even folded down.

If you haven't tried busting any clays since installing the sight, I'd be prepared for your patterns to be landing high.

The rib is recessed between the barrels lower than the height of curvature and I checked the folded height after installing it. Besides, I don't even see either of the sights when wing-shooting, do you?
I just look at the bird.

Patocazador said:
I just look at the bird.

Long as you do that, you're fine. But if you're subconciously seeing the front bead too, you're going to start missing high. Try the gun on birds and you'll have your own answer.

I fooled myself for years that I wasn't seeing anything but the bird. Then I pulled the front bead on a dare from a buddy. Couldn't hit my hiney.

I think the rear sight is too close to your eye. It'll probably look like a fuzz ball when you sight through it. Cheers Paul

I checked all that out by attaching it at several places with 2-sided tape prior to placing it there.

It may not work for you but it works for me. It was in the line of sight when folded down when it was farther forward so that it interfered when wing-shooting as suggested earlier. Since I got my cataracts out and new lenses, I now have excellent vision.

My Pedrrsoli double has a folding rear half way down the rib. It makes no difference wing shooting with it up or down!
As mentioned ealier, I dont notice sights or beads when wing shooting!

B.

Back