• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight on a SxS shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have 2 SxS shotguns, a Pietta and a CVA both 12 ga. that I want to be able to accurately shoot deer with PRBs.
I want to place a rear sight on the rib between the barrels but the rib is lower than the barrel height. I think that attaching a very short rib piece on top of the existing ones will give me adequate height to dovetail an elevation-adjustable rear sight in. Can this height extension "rib" be epoxied to the exiting one or should it be soldered with low-temp. solder?

What are the potential pitfalls of this idea?

I kinda wonder about POI with your rear site center of the rib while the barrels might not be "regulated" at the distance you want.

Was my gun, I'd test it before soldering or drilling holes or some such. A temporary sight back there might tell you all you need to know about alignment. Building up a gob of black epoxy and filing that to shape would be easiest for me, but I'm sure there are other ideas that could be even better.

There is some "magnetic" rear sights for VR shotguns available (marketed to Turkey Hunters).

I might be inclined to give it a try first because as suggested, you may have to fiddle around to get your aim point correct.

Brownels has a lock tight product that modern gunmakers use often to install sight ramps on high powered rifles.
It is black.

jerry huddleston said:
Brownels has a lock tight product that modern gunmakers use often to install sight ramps on high powered rifles.
It is black.

Sight ramp, that's the correct term that I was attempting to explain with the "height extension" description. :doh:

Back