• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FF or FFF in .54 Caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Bently

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you prefer to use FF or FFF in .54 caliber caplock rifles? I realize the powder makers recommend FF for this caliber but all I have is FFF BP.

Searching the web I see very strong support behind using nothing but FFF for all sizes of sidearms and long guns. Justifications include "cleaner burning" and "I don't want to worry about two different powders to "it shoots harder" (probably because more FFF BP by weight fits into a powder measure in comparison to FF.)

I have not come across anyone advocating the use of FF in .54 and larger calibers. What do you use? Thanks.

I use 3f right up through my .62. 2F at times in my bigger guns. 3 f will save you some powder as it takes 10-20% more 2 f to get the same results. Lots of folks swear by 3 f in any gun, Some like 2 f in bigger calibers. A big charge of 2 f can give you as much mv in a given barrel length as 3 f but with less breach pressure. So 2 f can be great in thinner barreled guns. If your shooting minnies 3 f can blow out a skirt faster then 2f. Shoot your 3f, decreased about 10-15% to recomended charges and see how she shoots. If its good enough for you stick with it. If you think you need to tweck your load get some 2 f and run your test shooting. You should find what your gun likes best. Some say 3f makes less fouling then 2f. I swab at least every 3ed shot and often tween shots, and clean the gun the same way when I'm done shooting, so I cant speak to that.

Pretty well answered. I now use 3Fg almost exclusively in my rifles. For a long time the sacred myth was 3Fg in .45 cal. and smaller. .50 cal. and up 2Fg only. Use wat works for you.

Try them both and use what works best. My 54 likes 2F Triple Seven with a heavy hunting load. However yours might like something else.

2Fg burns slower than 3Fg. If you look at CF reloading tables, slower burning powders are used with heavier bullets to help keep the pressures down. The longer the barrel, the slower burning the powder can be and not spike pressures.

Most people wouldn't dream of using Bullseye in a 460 Mogombo Express Magnum, or, in the extreme, the Paris Gun. Instead they use much slower powders to keep the pressures down, and to continue to accelerate the projectile while it is in the bore.

So, in theory, the determinant of powder choice is as much one of barrel length as it is one of caliber, and projectile weight.

Have no choice. Bought & split a case of Gorex between me and another individual when times were flush. 2-FFg does what I ask of it. Use it in my Hawken 45 & 54s both when hunting. But for practice fun & giggles homemade gets the nod. Got all day to clean the fouling out between shots. Not corned but screened. A little on the dirty side it is. But it shoots good and its cheap to make. ~~~~So far.

we shoot .50s, .54s & 12 ga. Bit the bullet and did a volume buy from Graafs a couple years ago and it was all FFg, so that is all i use, kinda wish i had some FFFg to try tho.

Col. Batguano said:
2Fg burns slower than 3Fg. If you look at CF reloading tables, slower burning powders are used with heavier bullets to help keep the pressures down. The longer the barrel, the slower burning the powder can be and not spike pressures.

Most people wouldn't dream of using Bullseye in a 460 Mogombo Express Magnum, or, in the extreme, the Paris Gun. Instead they use much slower powders to keep the pressures down, and to continue to accelerate the projectile while it is in the bore.

So, in theory, the determinant of powder choice is as much one of barrel length as it is one of caliber, and projectile weight.

Does Black Powder burn the same way as smokeless powder?

d-a

smokeless burns faster under pressure. I THINK that black does to SOME extent, but the burn rate is not nearly as affected. smarter guys than me know for sure.

Col. Batguano said:
...using Bullseye in a 460 Mogombo Express Magnum, or, in the extreme, the Paris Gun

I don't think anyone here is saying anything like that. We're only talking a 10% change between 2f and 3f.

Shoot both 2f and 3f in your gun. Let the gun decide which is right. It might or might not have a preference, but it's nice to know.

The up side is knowing how to use both, in case there's a time when you can't get the one you prefer.

Gentlemen:

Please do not compare real black powder to one of the smokeless powders.

Some newbie, speed reading thru the posts may see the references to the various smokeless powders names and get the mistaken impression that one of these powders can be used in their muzzleloader.

Does Black Powder burn the same way as smokeless powder?

d-a, that is an excellent and very basic question. Bottom line answere is: NO.
Never ever try to equate or subsitute one for the other. It is a matter of safety. I suggest you study up on the subject. In the meantime, keep it simple and safe, take my/our word for it. Never, ever use anything but real bp, or the identified subsitutes, in any ml rifle.
We want you to keep your fingers and face in place so you can hang around here a bit longer.

Hmmm real black powder I didn't know they made anything other than that. All this time I though synthetic was a type of gun stock. :rotf:

I have two .54's. One of them insists on FFg for smallest groups. The other insists on FFFg for smallest groups. First gun has Colerain barrel, the other is an Italian import. They are both very accurate when using the powder that they want. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back