• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what to draw file off of Lyman Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way Lyman has been doing business lately...I wouldn't hold my breath on the warranty!

If it were me, I'd remove all of it but I would transfer the serial number and caliber designation to the bottom flat where it won't show.

thanks for pointing that out. I know we can and do build them without SN's, but, because this is a factory gun, and Lyman probably IS registered with BATFE as a manufacturer, and they may do compliance as if these are manufactured firearms, if, in that case, there might be an issue, or if certain states, (CA, NY, NJ for instance) might have an issue. Still, I still think that it might be prudent to check with your local BATFE office and ask the question, particularly if you're in one of the more draconian gun law states. You can't be too careful when it comes to things like federal and state law.

If not concerned about warranty I would remove all of it. Maybe punch caliber on the underside? But really why? If you are the eventual seller you will tell the buyer. I did this process on an old Euroarms barrel that did not seem stamped as deep as yours. Not particulary hard but rather time consuming. Interestingly, after about 7 years now a "ghost image" is starting to appear of some of the original lettering. I assume that is due to the original stamping affecting metal structure below the actual level of the relief. And believe me that barrel was smooth, absolutely no trace of lettering when I finished it.

IMHO, it is what it is. I would not file it off, I would Finish the rifle & go shoot it ! :thumbsup:

They are great rifle, and the Best Buy for the Buck, IMHO. :hatsoff:

Keith Lisle

Ghettogun said:
If not concerned about warranty I would remove all of it. Maybe punch caliber on the underside? But really why? If you are the eventual seller you will tell the buyer. I did this process on an old Euroarms barrel that did not seem stamped as deep as yours. Not particulary hard but rather time consuming. Interestingly, after about 7 years now a "ghost image" is starting to appear of some of the original lettering. I assume that is due to the original stamping affecting metal structure below the actual level of the relief. And believe me that barrel was smooth, absolutely no trace of lettering when I finished it.

Was yours punch stamped or laser etched?
It's very obvious to me that mine is laser-ed.

Col. Batguano said:
thanks for pointing that out. I know we can and do build them without SN's, but, because this is a factory gun, and Lyman probably IS registered with BATFE as a manufacturer, and they may do compliance as if these are manufactured firearms, if, in that case, there might be an issue, or if certain states, (CA, NY, NJ for instance) might have an issue. Still, I still think that it might be prudent to check with your local BATFE office and ask the question, particularly if you're in one of the more draconian gun law states. You can't be too careful when it comes to things like federal and state law.

this presupposes some arguable notions:

that the BATFE will deign to speak with a lowly "civilian" (you know, one of us knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, taxpaying idiots with the brain pan of a gnat and the attention span of a sugared up six year old with ADHD)

that the BATFE representative with whom you finally connect will tell you the truth as he or she knows it

that they will repeat that they told you what they told you if anything "goes wrong" (assuming that you can locate this individual ever again ... about as likely as you will locate the fellow named "Bob" who told you how you to 'fix' your computer from a call center in Bombay (sorry: Mumbai)...

that this 'advice' will hold any sway with the judge ... assuming that you get it, and force the BATFE to repeat it, and the 'representative' can be found and has the authority to provide advice.

that the BAFTE wonk will be able to provide you with 'advice' regarding state laws inasmuch as they are federal employees ...

OK- just a few more words from the soap box...

I believe that the best way to not run afoul of these folks is not to show up on their radar ... once they get their hooks into you, you're pretty much SoL ... so... don't do any bank robberies with this muzzle loader, and for God's sake don't get involved in any drive- by bayonettings, and you'll probably be OK ...

I've climbed off my soap box ...

by way of disclaimer ::: I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the Communist Party or any other subversive organization advocating the violent or unlawful overthrown of the duly elected government ... these rantings do not constitute legal advice in any way shape manner or form: singly, jointly individually or severally ... I am sleep deprived, and thus in a 'diminished mental capacity' (that's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least until a better one comes along)

I would suspect that anyone who 'questions' your "gun" has no more or better claim that someone who would 'question' a rifle made by JoeBlow in his basement, using any one of a number of different commonly available barrels ...

Charley Brown says that he worried and worried about the exam, and Lucy asks what happened and Charley Brown says, "I got an "A:" ... I wasted a perfectly good worry."

don't waste worries or tantrums:

you get only a limited number

you don't know what your allotment is

you'll feel a fool if you need one and you're fresh out.

instead, make good smoke!

Lotta 'ifs' 'buts' and supposition in that post. MLs are exempt completely from Fed. laws. Really, that is the end of the discussion. It is his smokepole, he can do whatever he wants with it as long as he doesn't point it at me. :wink:

Interesting feedback.
Thank you for ALL of it.
Deed is done.
drawfiled1.jpg

drawfiled2.jpg

If it were me, I wouldn't stir that pot. It would be like asking IRS to look over your tax return. Even if there is nothing wrong, it is their job to find something wrong. If it were my barrel, I'd just draw file all of the printing off the barrel and not worry about transferring anything to the bottom of the barrel. But, if one were so inclined to transfer anything, I would transfer only the serial number and caliber designation. It's not necessary but only if you feel compelled to do so.

Me. too on what MSW and Rifleman1776 said.

Not ashamed of what I've purchased, I like the rifle so I bought one, "but" I don't care for all the warnings and brand name, etc. as it is stamped all over the top flats, just looks out of place on this type of rifle, so I took the time to remove it, now if they had put the name and serial number in small print, and left the warning off then I probably would not mind leaving it on, this is just how I roll.

Looks like you did a good job.

I think you were wise to keep the serial number.

The police were very interested in getting the serial numbers of all of the C&B revolvers that were stolen from my house on April 1st.

The serial numbers are now on the nationwide Hot sheet so the turd that stole them may get caught if he tries to hock them or sell them to a gun store.

The serial numbers are now on the nationwide Hot sheet so the turd that stole them may get caught if he tries to hock them or sell them to a gun store.

That is a very distant possibility, more likely it won't happen.
When I was a gun dealer I had a (modern) pistol stolen by a local deputy. He promptly left the state. I entered the gun into ever date bank I could think of including two states. Never heard a thing.

Back