• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original 1980's Hawken Shop .54 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpg68j2p

32 Cal.
Reaction score
image-16.jpg

image-15.jpg

image-14.jpg

image-13.jpg

image-1.jpg

That's one alright! Had a chance to get one and got sidetracked with something else...I'm such a dummy! :doh: :doh:

Would that be the original Hawken Shop that started here in St. Louis back in the 1970's ? If so, I think it was started by two guys named Art Ressel and Stan Platts? Rick.

Yes; I purchased this rifle from a friend of my father who knew Art; friends name was Skip; My father has one of the large scale drawings of the hawken shop rifle as well

WOW! Now THAT brings back some great memories for me. I remember Art had a collection of 4 or 5 ORIGINAL Hawken rifles. I remember he let me hold one of them while in his Shop one day. Think that was back around the middle 1970's. I ran into Stan Platts at a local gun show about 2 years ago. He had an original French Tulle with a 48" barrel on display. And I got to hold it. I think I heard that Art moved to WA State some while back (?).
Anyway, congrats on the rifle. NOW a great collectors piece. Wonder if Bill Large made your barrel? Thanks for Posting. Some great memories for me. Rick. :hatsoff:

I do not know about the barrel; any way to know? I cannot remember the last time I had the barrel out; next time I take out the barrel I will look for any markings.

See if the bottom barrel flat is marked: W.M. Large, or W.F. Large. That would add even more to your gun. Back in the 1970's there were only two standard barrel makers, Numrich and Douglas. The only "custom" maker I recall was Bill Large from Ohio. But I think a couple more makers were around by the 1980's (?). Rick.

I will check it out and let you know, very interested to find out myself. Oh by the way I grew up around Portage Des Sioux Missouri and me and my father went to all the close rendezvous's, Old Mines, St. Charles, Fort De Charter, Shiloh Illinois, Greenville, and a few others

Well I removed the barrel from my Hawken tonight; there are no markings whatsoever anywhere on the bottom or sides of barrel- so I dunno who made the barrel

Latest posts

Back