• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oregon Barrel Co.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galamb said:
Oregon makes a barrel as good as any of the others.

What I see as their biggest selling feature is:

YOU pick the length (up to 35")

You pick the twist

You pick the rifling depth

You pick the breech thread size and pitch

And that is considered a "standard" barrel with them.

Rice and Colerain will do that for you as an "option" with added cost and significantly added time.

On the downside, their barrels are restricted to 35" max, so if you want longer (ie. 42) you are out of luck.

They do make straight and tapered barrels but not swamped (they sell Colerain barrels as well).

I personally see them as "the source" for tapered barrels. If you are simply looking for a straight barrel you can pick up one from GM or Colerain and save a few bucks unless you want custom twist/rifling...
The 35 inch rule doesnt necessarily reply but its an ectra cost to get a longer barrel if you call them they will make you a longer barrel. They like to keep it under 35 inches though because they get more barrels made per materials this way.

Thanks, wasn't aware of that. I had them build me one barrel a few years back - only needed 31" so it wasn't even something I questioned.

Good to know however, there were some Maryland rifles with 42" tapered barrels I would like to try building and I was really impressed with the barrel I got from them.

Thanks...

I second all of the positive comments about thegunworks.

I was looking for a pistol barrel that fit into a specific inlet. Several other companies did not have the item, and told me that the item would be on long backorder. I called Oregon, and Joe got on the line. Told me that he had some old barrel stock in the back that he could cut to length and send me. I was skeptical, but took it anyway. Came in a few days, and worked out very well. No complaints at all. I still shoot that thing preferentially at competitions.

But, expect them to be a bit more expensive than some of the other catalog stores. The price differential is not much, and I don't mind the extra price, considering their excellent service.

I also really like Rice barrels. Great finish and fit, but there have been times that the barrels were on backorder.

isle George

Back