• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Baker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any sources out there where a guy can purchase black powder in 1 lb. tins?
Thanks

If there's a Bass Pro Shop near you they will have it, but you have to ask for it as they don't advertise it. It's still cheaper to buy 5lbs or 10lbs from Powder Inc. It's only around 17 to 19 dollars a pound and that includes the Hazmat charge. The Bass Pro near me charges over $30.00 a pound.

Grafs will sell just 1 pound, but the hazmat fee keeps me from ordering less than 3 lbs at a time.

Im driving about an hour and a half to pick up two pounds tomorrow. Its about $22 per pound goex

Assuming you are driving a 1/2 ton truck with ~18 mpg, and in the mountains I'd guess you'll use about 4 gals one way. At $3/gal that's $24 both ways. There's nearly $2 in tax on $44 of powder. You've spent $70 on 2 lbs of Goex.

At Grafs you'll spend $6.95 for shipping, $27 on hazmat and $31.98 on 2 lbs of Goex. That equals $65.93.

So you spend more unless you have a very fuel efficient vehicle.

I don't see any reason just to get 2 or 3 pounds, YMMV But I go through it too fast to keep ordering 2 or 3lbs. at a time. I'm always getting 5 or 10 pounds. The last time I ordered it cost me around $123.00 for 5lbs. of 2ff Olde Ensford. I have a extra savings account that I add to every month for buying powder.

Im not just going for the powder, other shopping,eats etc..Family thing.My point was that 1 1/2 hours away is my closest on hand source.

pard said:
Are there any sources out there where a guy can purchase black powder in 1 lb. tins?
Thanks

I know that Sumpter is a long ways from Portland but if you ever make it out this way I know a shop that will sell it to you by the pound.

Grew up and have kids/grandkids down there so down there quit a bit. If theres a shop in Portland that sells it by the pound it would be great. Would appreciate the scoop.
Thanks
Dan

How far are you from Buffalo Arms? They sell Swiss and Schuetzen.
I order my powder in because there's just no place to buy it, that the price of fuel won't eat up more cash than the dreaded hazmat fee.
Powder Inc, Grafs, and Bear River Powder get a lot of business from me.

i know it's hard to talk yourself into spending more to save a little, but i did finally break down and bot 15 lb from graffs 'bout a year ago, haven't been sorry i did. Really, if you plan to keep shooting black, it does pencil out in the long run, tho i totally understand its hard to bite off that much $$$ at one time. :v It helps if you know your favorite breed of powder when ordering bulk.

Find a friend or two that shoot black powder and order up some, splitting the hazmat. A friend and I just ordered 15 pounds from Grafs, came out to $18 a pound, give or take. The only shop around here that carries Goex, charges $25.50 a pound, plus 10% tax, plus gas for the 40 mile round trip.

I shoot Grafs(Schuetzen) powder, so it is about a buck cheaper per pound.

A friend of mine once found some bulk Chinese powder. It cam in a 25 pound plastic bag in a cardboard box. I wondered about it so I bought a pound from him for $8...or was it $8.50? :hmm: :idunno: Anyway, it turned out to be pretty darned good stuff. The granulation was correct, it really was 3f and it was very clean burning. I really liked the stuff. I wish I knew where he got it because I'd sure recommend it to anyone who wanted to buy some cheap but good powder. Only thing is that it comes in a plastic bag and you have to put it into cans or some kind of airtight containers. It's good stuff and you can't beat the price. I'll get in tough with him and see if it is still available. Stay tuned, more later.

That Chinese powder is no longer available.
You have to go to a dealer that stocks those bulk bags of powder, they can not ship those.

He bought the stuff in Indiana. There are lot of places that sell black powder in Indiana so no telling just where he bought it. I have sent him an email asking where he got it.

Apparently, you are right. I heard from my friend and he told me that he bought it in Friendship from an individual who was selling it there. He didn't remember the name of the person who was selling it but he has not seen it for sale since. So, I guess you are right. Wish I had bought a lot more because it was good stuff.

If money is the issue mail order is the only way to go. Get into the store and now there are all those lovely things begging to go home as well. a new horn or possibles bag,that new rifle. caps and a capper. then you gain 10 pounds at the buffet.
Just sayin

Back