• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawkin Breech ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike3132

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ive got a .54 Hawken that the barrel and tang doesn't square up on the top flat in the stock, the barrel sits higher. Not sure which one is at fault but it takes a .020 shim in the breech hook to make them square but Im wondering if the barrel is hooked properly with the shim in place, or doesn't it matter. I hate looking at mating parts that aren't mated. Suggestions? Mike

:photoSmile:

A photo would help. Actually, a couple pics would tell your story better. It is a factory made item, expect less than perfection. It is not a treasured relic. Meaning, you can dig into it and no one will come after you.
Show some pics assembled and apart. Many here can advise on how to proceed.
From what you say, methinks just digging some wood out from under the tang might fix things.

Do they fit together well out of the stock?

Ya know? Take the tang out of the stock and hang it on the barrel, do they fit then?

I had a traditions rifle with that problem and ended up soldering an oversize ship in place and then carefully filing til it was a perfect fit. Took about 30 minutes. :haha:

necchi said:
Do they fit together well out of the stock?

Ya know? Take the tang out of the stock and hang it on the barrel, do they fit then?

That's key. If they're a good fit, then it's a clear issue with the inletting. That's an easy fix, too.

Breech and tang are 1".

Heres a picture,

IMG0066A.JPG

I cut a .020 shim and that will align them up but was worried the barrel hook wasnt locked like it should be but if the barrel doesnt come loose and fall out then it should be OK, correct?

They fit this way in or out of the stock. Mike

One pic is better than none even if it is out of focus and your nipple area is rusty. :shocked2:
The barrel won't fall out. Not a concern.
To me, it looks like the barrel channel needs to have some wood removed and allow the barrel to seat properly. You can use chalk, lipstick (messy) or other materials to see pressure points where you need to remove some wood. You don't have a serious problem, just an annoyance.

THe picture is in focus its your eyes that are out...... nipple area isnt rusty at all...reflection of a bulb in a desk lamp, if you look the same reflection is on the rear tang screw.

Thanks for all the suggestions and criticism.

Interesting, Where do you put that shim?
Under the hook or over it?

A problem I've seen with drop in barrels is sometimes there isn't enough wood removed under the tang where the barrel hook goes into the tang,
not under the tang itself, but where the hook goes through the tang.

It could be that someone in the past tried a drop in barrel and made some modifications to the tang.
Those drop in's usually need some fitting, usually the at the hook. If someone removed metal from the tang's slot instead of the offending barrel that'll mess things up.

Those Hawkens with a 1" channel are an older model, they only had them for a few years. When you remove the tang, is it held in with two wood screws or one wood screw and a bolt?

It's a curious thing as I haven't seen too many factory fitted TC barrels have that problem :idunno:

Look at the lower left of the photo. The fabric is in focus, while the rest of the photo is fuzzed out. Indicates wrong focus point when you took the shot. His criticism is valid.

BrownBear said:
Look at the lower left of the photo. The fabric is in focus, while the rest of the photo is fuzzed out. Indicates wrong focus point when you took the shot. His criticism is valid.

BB, wat do us old photogs know? :wink: Adjust yer eyes. :haha:

Rifleman1776 said:
BrownBear said:

BB, wat do us old photogs know? :wink: Adjust yer eyes. :haha:

Old age is taking care of that one for me! :rotf:

If you cant see what Im talking about with the picture posted then please move on and criticize someone else. I'll bet it will be a long time before I post another picture on here. Sad is all I'll say. Mike

necchi said:
Interesting, Where do you put that shim?
Under the hook or over it?

A problem I've seen with drop in barrels is sometimes there isn't enough wood removed under the tang where the barrel hook goes into the tang,
not under the tang itself, but where the hook goes through the tang.

It could be that someone in the past tried a drop in barrel and made some modifications to the tang.
Those drop in's usually need some fitting, usually the at the hook. If someone removed metal from the tang's slot instead of the offending barrel that'll mess things up.

Those Hawkens with a 1" channel are an older model, they only had them for a few years. When you remove the tang, is it held in with two wood screws or one wood screw and a bolt?

It's a curious thing as I haven't seen too many factory fitted TC barrels have that problem :idunno:
I put the .020 shim in the barrel hook and that aligns the flats but the barrel will move instead of locking with the shim in place. I might mig a couple spots and then file it down to fit the tang. Mike

mike3132 said:
If you cant see what Im talking about with the picture posted then please move on and criticize someone else. I'll bet it will be a long time before I post another picture on here. Sad is all I'll say. Mike

Just trying to help you out. Your photography kinda obscured what you were talking about. I had a 30 year career as a pro photog, paying off houses, commercial real estate and cars while also putting together a nice retirement with a shutter release. And I know Rifleman shot pro, too.

Don't give up on the photo posting, because it helps people help you. Just don't be so starchy when folks say it isn't working, and offer suggestions. With that approach, pretty quick no one will try to help.

You still haven't said whether you've pulled the tang and barrel from the stock and tried their fit. That will be key to anything else you do to fix the situation.

bobbo said:
Could it be that the tang is a 15/16" and not a 1 inch tang?
A 1" wouldn't fit in a 15/16" channel and you'd see a gap if 15/16 was in a 1".

I'm still guessing someone made a modification to the tang trying to fit a different barrel.

I did this myself and learned the mistake, I now have a tang that's been filed out and won't work with the right barrel in the gun. I could sell it on ebay , but I won't pass the messed up tang to someone else to have trouble with. I may find someone at a vous that'll want to do the same thing I did and pass it to them,,

With that approach, pretty quick no one will try to help.

You still haven't said whether you've pulled the tang and barrel from the stock and tried their fit. That will be key to anything else you do to fix the situation.

Yep, yes. And, fer certain, fer sure.
I started as a professional photog in 1953 and still do some. But, I guess I'm not qualified to help him either.

Back