• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rubber ducky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Since some people insist on "blowing down the barrel " no matter how unsafe it might be.I have a safe, effeective alternative. Just use a kid's rubber bath toy ducky, place the hole in the toy over the barrel and squease. Safe and effective! :idunno:

Because the rubber duckie gets more laughs!!! :haha: Not to mention how much you'll be messing with the heads of the competition with that little duckie hangin' from your shooting bag strap on a chain.

To be P.C. though, I think a hollowed out goose quill would be the right way to go. No bendy neck, but it does have a natural curve. Just stick in your hatband. :grin:

Enjoy, J.D.

The rubber ducky would be fun, at that. But I've never had a ML fire a second time without reloading it.

Ever "dry ball"?
It usually happens when your distracted by conversation with another or something else happening on the range that takes your attention away from the task at hand.
Well sometimes a guy will toss in a powder charge before he gets distracted,,, :idunno:

Got no problem if a guy want's to blow, but if the range/club rules are to not put your head over the muzzle to do it,, Why fight it?

Rubber Ducky, Straw, Quill, Plastic/Copper Blow tube,, who cares? \
It's simply too easy to do it another way than wrappin yer lips around the bore,, :idunno:

Never did understand the argument guys get in about blowing ! ? :youcrazy:

What's the purpose of blowing down the barrel? I've always wondered about that but never
bothered to ask. I guess now's a good time. :idunno:

Keeps fowling loose. Also shows you a clear flash channel as smoke leaves.

Can be usefull in a small bore with patent breech. Dont bother with my 62. Every time with my 36.

To each his own.

NEVER blow down the bore. It is a really bad habit to get into and it is unnecessary. If you feel that you need to blow down your bore for some reason and there is no alternative that will satisfy your need to blow down the bore, use a blow tube and keep you head away from the bore. As with modern guns, it is always the unloaded gun that gets you. However, if you insist on putting your mouth over the muzzle from time to time, please send me your name so I can take out a life insurance policy on you. :youcrazy:

Go to the kitchenware area of your local grocery store and spend 2 bucks for a turkey baster. Hands and body parts are then out of the way
and you can see if you get smoke out of the nipple. But, me I won't do it. never haver don't plan on it in the future.

hanshi said:
The rubber ducky would be fun, at that. But I've never had a ML fire a second time without reloading it.
+1 Hanshi. The practice was once considered the safe thing to do in order to burn out any left over embers, and see that the vent is clear before one reloads. But this is a different world now, where everyone is judged to be stupid unless they fall into lockstep with those that read in some book that a given practice is acually dangerous, because no BP gun shooter can really be sure his gun acually fired when he pulled the trigger. You know how unreliable these types of guns are. I happened to have known two persons in two separate incidents getting the ramrod and ball blown through their hand from an unextinguished ember that flared up when loading the ball gave it a rush of fresh air. Both decided after the fact, it might be wise to blow down the barrel. To each his own, but what appears dangerous, may in the long run be safer.

That's why I do it right after checking to see where I hit the target while still at the firing line. Maybe it is unneccessary since I swab between every shot while target shooting but if I forget to after leaving the firing line then I just save it until after the next shot. I believe the water vapor in my breath keeps the fouling soft as well as putting out any glowing embers, although I've never tested to see if there is a difference in the fouling between blowing down the tube or not.

Duh! If you have to put your lips over the muzzle in order to do it, then you have absolutely no clue how it was done 250 years ago or how to do it today. A puff of air is blown down the bore immediately after firing; if not, then it's too late to do much good. Unlike some, I KNOW when my rifle fires - there's a loud noise and smoke - and a dry ball won't fire. BPC shooters do it though they get to do it from the other end. My suggestion is YOU DON'T DO IT AT ALL. I've NEVER advised anyone else to blow down the bore; I've merely stated that I do it for the same benefits our ancestors did. I am advising that yourself and anyone else who dislikes the practice PLEASE REFRAIN from it. Of course we all realize this statement will be missed by many but it, alas, IS in writing. Now go back and reread this post a couple more times, scratch your head a while and ask somebody what it says. This goes for all who disavow the practice and has NO bearing on whether or not I like you (yous, for those not of Southern heritage) which I probably do or certainly would if I met you(s).

:v dude,
re-read mine. I said I got no problem with it.
This is what happens everytime this topic comes up,
sorry, I didn't mean to push a button
cheesh, :blah:

ohio ramrod said:
Since some people insist on "blowing down the barrel " no matter how unsafe it might be.I have a safe, effeective alternative. Just use a kid's rubber bath toy ducky, place the hole in the toy over the barrel and squease. Safe and effective! :idunno:

Oh, think I see the safety nazis coming to see you real soon! I have no problem with blowing down the barrel, I can tell when the rifle has fired or not.

Because the rubber duckie gets more laughs!!! Not to mention how much you'll be messing with the heads of the competition with that little duckie hangin' from your shooting bag strap on a chain.

To be P.C. though, I think a hollowed out goose quill would be the right way to go.

Well the mind factor I hadn't considered, BUT you could also make a fake slurping sound with the straw in your mouth and in the muzzle and really mess folks up... besides they can't prove rubber duckies weren't around in the 18th century. So go ahead!

Hey if we're going to talk about blowing down the barrel again, then lets also talk about having to prove a negative when discussing authentic stuff again..., and beat two dead horses. :rotf:

:dead: :dead:

LD

I have used curved blow tubes and small bellows from time to time but the rubber ducky appeals to me to stir things up at Friendship and other places! I think one will fit in my possibles bag!

Thanks!

Back