• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Halfstock length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Want to build a half stock poor boy style caplock rifle. 42 " barrel. Halfstock seems to mean a lot of different things to different builders.Any ideas? :yakyak:

I do not understand :yakyak: When you ask for an opinion. :idunno: It kind of sounds condescending.

Anyhow I would suggest a SMR or Golden Age type stock with a wood under rib and poured cap.

In the flintlock rifles forum; Trench posted a pre-1820 Indiana or Illinois made half stock longrifle with a metal under rib. It was possibly owned by William Clark.

Length, Hey it's got a 42" inch barrel. Do you mean length from lock panel to nose cap?

Jumpy,
look here; http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7159878

it will give you a good idea for a LONG barreled halfstock.. or search Kentucky Half stock and see what you come up with :wink:

oh, the lil pics can be opened somewhat larger..
from what I've seen, most had cut back barrels..a 42" barrel on a halfstock would be rarer still..
most I could find were 34-38 or shorter..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of "ideas" are you looking for? You stated exactly what you wanted to build. Since it's not a copy of an original the 42" barrel should be fine if that's what you have or you could cut it down easy enough.

Being a Poor Boy you mean an unadorned Southern Appalacian gun. No buttplate, sideplate or nose cap. One or two steel rammerod pipes soldered to the barrel....though a wood rib would be a nice touch. Percussion lock should be held with a single bolt and in the English or "hardware store" style, similar to a Golcher or Hawken lock...flat plate with round or squared tail...not a Siler percussion conversion stuff.

Hope that helps, J.D.

Metalshaper said:
from what I've seen, most had cut back barrels..a 42" barrel on a halfstock would be rarer still..
most I could find were 34-38 or shorter..

My GRRW Hawken 58 cal halfstock has a 36" barrel in keeping with some of the originals. Though it looks "long" compared to what you see on most today, I think it looks really cool.

I laid one of my 42" barrel fullstocks alongside it the other day, and I'm convinced a 42" barrel on a halfstock would look even cooler. :wink: I might well go that route some day. I've seen photos of halfstocks from the Southeast that had quite long barrels, and I think that's where the seeds were planted.

I'd say if you're not trying to mimic a specific rifle or style of rifle, check your cool gland and do what it tells you will make you happiest.

Respectfully sir,
I should have looked at your age and realized that.

Jumpy, I have made a half stock, not a poor boy, with a 42" barrel and it has a nice look and proportion to my eye. I would post a picture but I guess I am not allowed to do that anymore, as those options as well as the emoticons are no longer available to me, along with not being allowed to respond at all in one of the other forums. Ah well.
Robby

Seems I'm able to post pictures again, thank you.
This is the half stock. It has a cherry stock and wooden rib.
DSCN1318.jpg

DSCN1317.jpg

Robby

WOW!!! Nice rifle. Very, very graceful! Please, a little more info. What caliper, size across the flats, and what is the weight of the piece? That looks like a straight barrel, not tapered, is that so? What method was used to fasten the wood under rib? Thank you, Woodbutcher

Hey Robby, Have I told you lately what a fan I am of your work? :hatsoff:

Very graceful and slender rifle there. I'd like to see some close-ups when you have time.

Enjoy, J.D.

Thanks fellows. The gun weighs seven pounds and if the heft is a factor, it would probably be around six or less as a poor boy. The barrel is 13/16" across the flats, 42" long, .45 cal.. As it is it is a very nice gun for shooting off hand with the weight where I like it for stability. Hope this helps Jumpy. The rib is pinned to studs spaced every three inches.
Robby

Back