• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP's for Survival

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I viewed most current posts on this forum before posting. Not sure if it has been brought up before but because we all are familiar with BP, what do you think of our BP guns for survival, or civil un-rest? Might be far fetched but we are in turbulent times. Sorry if I am opening a can of worms.

i dont think my BP guns would be my first choice for civil unrest situations. but for times when fleeing out into the wilderness to escape problems with civilization i could see them being very usefull.

The way I look at it is ifn its all ya got then use it if ya have too. They worked back then an they will work now. But if its my good health were talkin about then I want somthing a tad more modern :thumbsup:

Their my back up,,first ,,357/308/ 22/12/16/410.,,,then we will engage.To old and hard headed to leave,if someone has to die to prove a point ,might as well be here.Let's see who wants it more.

If it came to that point I would use my Colt LE6920 M4 (sorry for the none MZ stick)

In a case of civil unrest, asuming there are no modern firearms available, or perhaps amunition runs out...I would think going with a cross-bow or a long bow would be a better option. The rate of fire on these old muzzel loaders is manure.

Steve W said:
...what do you think of our BP guns for survival, or civil un-rest?
This has been covered many, many times. The consensus seems to be, get a modern gun. Forget nostalgia and romance. When it comes down to your life, you want the most efficient firearm you can have.

I would be happy to have a muzzleloader in a survival situation. Much better than a sharp stick.

Would not be my first choice - but you seldom get to choose in a true survival situation. It's what you have available at the time.

Jack Wilson said:
This has been covered many, many times.
Yeah Jack it has, but sometimes ya just gotta sit back an let all the new members have a crack at it too, :wink:
The topic hasn't been done since at least the last apocoliptic scare,
Wasn't that one the "Rapture" a year ago May?

you want the most efficient firearm you can have

Agreed. A mini 14 with a pocket full of ammo, weighs less, takes up way less space, way quicker and lots of fire power. A BP w/ LRB's would be a last resort.

I have read some posts on the web of people who like the idea of bugging out to the wilderness and returning to the old ways in the case of disaster or civil unrest, including use of BP arms. The idea seems far fetched to say the least. Better to get a Ruger 10/.22 or similar with several bricks of ammo in reserve and practice until you shoot it very, very well.

I would cry a lot, but survival is survival. Guns evolved into what we now have as 'modern' guns for a reason. My 30-06 and .44 mag. would be put in play. There is a reason why I have several thousand rounds of aught-6 loaded and ready for use.

If the question is related to guns I currently own, there is no doubt the choice would be one of my Remington 870's in 12 GA. Probably the Home Defense model (7 shot). The others are too pretty!
If the question allows me to buy a new gun not currently in my possession, it would be a Remington 870 Home Defense 7 shot in 12 GA! :thumbsup:

The thing about a civil survival situation is first off, you must survive. Right? And your immediate threat is probably not from a white tail deer! :shocked2:

steveW,

i'm in the crowd that says "not so fast, mr. modern..."

there are some advantages to BP as a defense/offense weapon that begin right with the purchase - none of my BP are on any list, form, database and nobody even knows that i have them, so "when" the SHTF and they come to collect all those modern registered beauties, i'll be busy slipping out the back door all by myself.

another advantage to the BP system is BP itself... by that i mean as time goes by, i'd be able to make my own, melt lead and make my own, and even create percussion caps on my own... i seriously doubt that there will be boxes of .223 or 9mm just layin' around after "they" do the big sweep and round up (vis-a-vis Red Dawn).

my final point is a rebuttal to the "slow to reload" factor... i still get 9 x .44 plus 1 x 18ga (or .645cal) before reloading becomes necessary... add that to the 6 x .44 from a backup and 2 x .58 from a Howdah and civilians would definitely think twice before moving closer... military would be another matter, but i shouldn't be caught that close to the "enemy" in the first place.

over the long run, say 2-5 years, a BP weapon is less likely to break beyond repair and the necessary accessories are more likely to be available for basic hunting and defense... think about it.

:wink:
~dg~

Latest posts

Back