• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Left handed Flinter Questions!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay I need some advise here. I have never shot or owned a flintlock but have the bug.I am also left handed and have three left handed percussion rifles and two right handed. I am thinking a left handed flintlock is in order for me. Now the questions!
I have found someone advertising a left handed flintlock a couple hours drive from me and am going to look at it Sunday. He is telling me that he built this gun himself. Curly maple stock that he got as a block and cut out himself,40 cal Green Mountain barrel, Siler lock and double set triggers. He was in a club that does the camping in tepees and throws knives and hawks so he made it as period correct as possible including a browned metal finish.Said the rifle is sighted in at 50 yards and he shoots 65 grains of powder and a 380 ball with 20 thousandths patch. Said it shoots great and is very accurate. Says he has not shot it a whole lot either. He is telling me that due to work and the economy with the price of gas that he is getting out of the club and selling his rifle and all the stuff that goes with it. Asking around $650.00 for the rifle but said he will deal some if I am interested.
So what do I need to be looking for when I go check this rifle out? Have no experince with a flintlock at all. Does the price seem fair? Sounds like the componets are good quality and he said he is a machinest by trade and was quite picky when building this. All advise appreciated and needed! Thanks!

welcome to the forum, Now that you have the bug there are a few things you need to ask yourself.
How long do you get struck with a bug? Does a bug turn into an infection easy with you? What type of shooting are you planning to do? Will you hunt with the flint lock? or just target shoot?
If you are going to hunt then what size game will you chase?
All of these questions will effect the out come of the answer. If you are the type the gets a 24 hour bug and get over it quickly. Then a custom built left handed flint is not the answer. That is not a gun that will resell to just any one! Lets face it more righties out there. Only if that was true of Washington DC. But I digress. If you are a target shooter it does not matter if it is left or right. and as far as that goes being a lefty handed ,not politically!!!!! when hunting flushing game with a double I always hind myself at the ready with my left thumb on the right hammer. And shoot a right handed lock as well and fast if not faster then a left handed one. If you are the type that gets a bug and can not kick it. And it infects you deep to the core. then a custom build left hand flint lock might just be the trick. And it will keep right handed acquaintances form borrowing your nice rifle.
Lastly if hunt in open area you might want a bigger lead ball to throw at your quarry. Small balls loss energy fast. personally for deer size game and bigger I like to hit them with a ball that is bringing a lot of hurt. and has a good chance of passing through the far side to leave a good blood trail if they decide to walk on into the thick stuff.
.40 cal might be fin if you take your game at bow distances. or in the neighborhood there of. One thing about buying a used gun. Never once has the owner told me, Ho ya I have shot this gun thousands of times. Not one guns seller has ever said that to me. The part about he just does not use it any more is very possible. He might be over the bug. Or possible life has moved him to a place it is less important to him know. Then there is always the new love maybe he has wondering eyes and fell in lust with another skinny younger model. Happen all the time. sad but true.

That price doesn't sound bad at all if you're satisfied with the work he did. Those are quality parts, and you'd have trouble putting together the parts set for less than that. Check the gun kits at Track of the Wolf for comparison. While you're there, noodle around among the guns for sale to develop an idea of what's available and the going prices. It may help you a lot in looking over the one you're considering.

As for a 40 cal? It's a very popular target caliber, but marginal for deer in most people's mind, even illegal for deer in some states as you already heard. It would make a terrific small game gun in any case. I was just visiting a friend today who was showing me a rifle one of his ancestors built in the 1760's. And it's 40 caliber too. We don't have the caliber restrictions in our general season up here, and since the gun was fully functional, he's been shooting it. Imagine his pride in recounting how his grandson took a deer with it this year! Now that's "carrying on the tradition!" :thumbsup:

Two rules that I learned the hard way about buying used guns:
1. don't buy a gun after dark. I look at them in sunlight now.
2. Never buy a gun when you have been drinkin'. Too easy to get into the "I love it" mode. :rotf:

The first thing I look at is do I like the look and fit. Next I look to see that it has been maintained. If it is dirty I hand it right back and say no thanks. Any rust is a deal killer unless it is something that I know I can fix but it lowers the price considerably.

In your case if the gun is as advertised, good parts, well made, left hand, and it fits when sholdered then for $650.00 I say buy it. Shoot it for a while, learn what you can from it. If it works for you, keep it. If not you can always sell/trade it for what you paid and not get hurt. You'll have the knowledge and experience to go find one that is right for you next time.

What do you have in mind when you say "if you're shooting targets it doesn't matter if it's left or right?"? Is that to say the left handed lock is more about hunting or field work?

Even though the parts are good quality that is no indication that the gun has been built correctly and will function without a hitch. First check the bore - bring a light that you can either drop down the bore or shine in so you can see the INSIDE. Then take the ram rod with a snug patch wet it with WD-40 and slowly insert it in the bore and push it down - as you are doing this "feel" if there are any spots that want to "grab" the patch - these are rust spots - not good or loose spots - ringed barrel from not seating the load before shooting. After you remove the patch look at it see if it is tore or has rust markings on it. Next try the lock for spark. Even if it is a Siler it might have been a kit and may not have been put together correctly - remove it from the rifle and examin it for wear and rust and broken half cock notch on the tumbler - all not good. There are other thing to look for as previously mentioned but the two items I have said are the heart of the rifle without these items in GOOD condition all you have is junk parts.If you want it - make a deal for all his stuff for $500 - no more!

I think you should be sure it fits. What is the length of pull? What is your LOP? I don't know if you know how to check that, hold your shooting arm out parallel with the floor, bend your elbow holding your forearm straight up, and measure from the crook in your arm to the first joint in your trigger finger. LOP.

In response to greenmntmalitia

What do you have in mind when you say "if you're shooting targets it doesn't matter if it's left or right?"? Is that to say the left handed lock is more about hunting or field work?

what I am saying is that the side the lock is on will have no effect on target shooting. The sights just don't care. the lock side will have no effect on comfort, function, fit, or holes in the paper. If it did people would have never bothered with double flint locks or cap locks.
And as a life long left handed shooter right handed bolt rifles and safety. Are a handicap. But personally hammer guns of left or right handed models shot as equal as the other. and in most cases hunting with a hammer gun with two lock one to the left and one to the right. My left hand thumb is always at the ready on the right hammer. And have shot both right and left locked models there is no difference. The only way right hand guns will be a handicap is with stock cast off to center the rifle behind the right eye. All of my single barrel muzzle loader are right hand lock with the exception of one rifle with a left hand flint lock. I can snap back the cocks or hammer on those guns faster then most people can side a safety of a modern gun or a lock that matches the hand they pull the trigger with.
Out side of the internet selling a left handed gun can be a slow process. So if turns out not to be his cup of tea then a right hand lock will sell easier for a return on his investment. just my experience, Take or leave it. The choice is his. The input is mine.
What any one does with it is there own.
Hope that helps. :hmm:

That's all true, what you say about buying a righty vs lefty. I was partly listening to this thread, myself, because I'm in a situation where I'd like a flinter Pennsy/Kentucky/Virginia but I've not found any lefties within my budget yet. I was curious about what you said about shooting a righty because there's a bigger variety of them around.

I was partly listening to this thread, myself, because I'm in a situation where I'd like a flinter Pennsy/Kentucky/Virginia but I've not found any lefties within my budget yet. I was curious about what you said about shooting a righty because there's a bigger variety of them around.

I do not think you will find the lock much trouble.
The biggest issue may be the stock. If you look have one built or buy a used one make shore the stock is straight or cast on. Cast off is for a right handed shooter and it will not shoulder or point well for a left handed shooter. Good luck in your hunt for just the right shoulder arm for your shooting needs.

Well I went today and looked at this rifle. Looked pretty decent overall. Was some things about it that I was not enthused about. It was a full length PA style rifle which was cool and what I was looking for. The stock was very plain with very little figure. Inletting on some parts could have been better but can not say that I could do better. Some of the screw slots were a bit burred. Two dovetails had been cut into the top of the barrel but not used and had been filled in with brass it looked like. Butt plate and trigger guard was brass and I think browned steel would have went better overall with the rifle. I did not buy it even though he told me he would consider offers. Just did not make me think that I really want this I guess! Still looking I guess. Thanks to all for the help!

I'm a lefty,
Check out TVM and talk to Toni, they may have a lefty for sale or you can order one from them and wait for a year.
two most inporant things on a flint, the lock and the barrel.
Get a custom barrel from Green mt or Rice for starters and get a Chambers lg siler lock and have L.C. Rice tune it for you.Until L@R get their act together I would stay away from that lock. I haven't seen anything new come out of that shop worth a damn as of late.
fast consistant ignition is a must for flint accuracy.
It will take some time to get used to it going off in your face, tell yourself before you squeeze the trigger to"FOCUS THROUGH" if you blink thats a flinch and your targets will prove it.
With dedication you can get MOA at 100 yrds with a flinter.
:thumbsup:

Greenmtnboy said:
With dedication you can get MOA at 100 yrds with a flinter.
:thumbsup:

Man, I'm just not dedicated enough. Could be 60 year-old eyes, but I like the dedication story better. :grin:

Good post and feedback on barrels and locks, as well as TVM.

I too am a southpaw and have never had a lefthand M/L, but my recent purchase makes me wish I did. I bought a 58 musket in august and the hotter musket caps SCALD!!! my right forearm like the hinges of HELL!! The only position it didnt burn me was shooting one handed off a bench. I am used to a small amount of sting from #11 caps on my right forearm from time to time, it never was a big deal. I also dont consider myself to be a sissy and thought my threshold for pain was pretty high, but the lingering burn reminded me of Bull Nettles and was leading to a flinch. I talked to a friend who is responsible for me owning the musket, (thanks to a long car ride where he told me how much fun muskets are) and he told me an old sock with the toe cut out is the ticket for warm weather practice/hunting, and it is. I even tried 2 different brands of caps...they BOTH tried to burn my arm off! I have two 45 caliber rifles, had a 45 flint and a 50 cal hawken, and have a 54 cal traditions carbine and they NEVER hurt like the musket does.

Come to think of it, I traded off a 45 cal T/C flinter cause the flash and burning powder a few inches from my left eye kept me from hitting anything with it. I'll admit I didnt/dont know anything about a flint rifle and filled the lock to capacity with FFFFG, but the thing burning next to my peeper made me trade it off.

SOOO....my next project is going to be a left hand flint small bore, say 32 or 36 caliber. Like in my modern rifles I am about past the point of buying right-handed rifles...maybe. :idunno:

Eterry

Eterry said:
SOOO....my next project is going to be a left hand flint small bore, say 32 or 36 caliber. Like in my modern rifles I am about past the point of buying right-handed rifles...maybe. :idunno:

Eterry

That's where I've arrived too. With lefties available, there's no good reason in the world to own another righty. I've started acquiring lefty replacements, even if I haven't got around to dumping all the righties yet. But that's going to happen, for sure!

On a point closer to your heart, I'm starting the finish work on a 30 cal lefty I just got in the white. Rayle barrel, Davis triggers, John Bailes lock, cherry stock and a Tanner mold. All for a couple of hundred dollars less than a new TC Hawken.

Why in the world would I turn down something like that and shoot a TC because "it doesn't make any difference to shoot a righty left-handed?" :rotf:

My favorite small game gun is a .40, but its right handed. So I flipped it in photobucket, ah, the things that dreams are made of.
DSCN0608.jpg

All my kids are right handed, so I figured one of them will get it eventually. I've made a lot of left hand guns, so I put the word out, first left handed grand child, gets the Mother Lode!

Robby said:
All my kids are right handed, so I figured one of them will get it eventually. I've made a lot of left hand guns, so I put the word out, first left handed grand child, gets the Mother Lode!

You nailed my one hesitation in getting rid of all the righties. As for the lefties? Sell em or make em wall hangers after I'm gone. I won't be around to care about it!

Edit- On second thought, I'm going to get rid of ALL the righties. It's about time there was a generation of righties shooting lefty guns! :rotf:

Now, now, BrownBear, for some reason the word Karma popped into my head. :wink: I think I'm going to need all the help I can get!
Robby

When macular problems took my right eye vision, I made the switch to a leftie. Found a .54 that filled my bill as detailed on this forum. I would recommend that you keep looking until you find one that suits you, long or short. It'll be worth it. Had a C removed last week from the left eye and am certainly looking forward to making smoke soon. Keeping your stock between your good eye and ignition always did make sense and still does. "Jis my $.02" Good smoke from GpaJ.

DAMN Robby thats a GORGEOUS rifle!! If only it was a lefty, it would be like Bogey said in The Maltese Falcon: "the stuff dreams are made of !!!" I'm gonna call a buddy who states will help me build a lefty flinter tomorrow...Thanks.

Brownbear, the 30 caliber sounds uber cool, what grain is a ball in 30 cal? Getting a mould and barrel in 30 sounds more expensive than a 32, am I right? Reminds me of my old shop teacher who built his then 10 year old son a cute scaled down flinter using a 8mm mauser barrel, he used OO buck for balls, but the twist was too fast and it was a pain to load after about 4 shots. Actually, the 8mm should be a 32 caliber, so me wanting a 32 is maybe history is repeating itself.

Eterry

Back