• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jag and Rod stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a .50 caliber jag to clean my .54 caliber guns. It's a loose fit with one patch but does exactly as was mentioned. Easily slides down, then twist and pull and out comes the crud.

For cleaning at home I just use two soaked patches. Works great.

I shoot a .50 cal rifle. I’m going to get a .45 cal jag tomorrow! Thanks!

Are the r/r pipes screwed on or soldered ?

If screws were used , one could be thru wall and into the barrel.

Seeing as how it's a .75 cal and the obstruction is approx. 16" into the bore , try shining a bright flash light and looking down the bore.
A bore light would be another option...

If there anything in the bore that would cause an obstruction, I would think it would be viable.

I got a jag stuck at a shooting match in Maine. The guy next to me took out a C-Clamp, clamped the rod to an overhead rafter, and yanked the gun away from the rod/jag. Slick as whale snot. I now carry a c-clamp in my shooting kit (so I will never need it again.)

ADK Bigfoot
i re that ..in limington

Good news. Old ‘rule of thumb’ I was taught and heard from others a few times was to size the cleaning jag so that it will easily push TWO dry cleaning patches down a clean barrel. Theory is with ONE wet patch and a fouled barrel the combo will easily slide down the barrel past the crud. Once at the bottom, you give it a twist as you pull it out so the patch bunches up and drags the crud up and out. The proper size jag is one that fits your barrel and patch combo, doesn’t really matter what’s printed on the package.

Good news. Old ‘rule of thumb’ I was taught and heard from others a few times was to size the cleaning jag so that it will easily push TWO dry cleaning patches down a clean barrel. Theory is with ONE wet patch and a fouled barrel the combo will easily slide down the barrel past the crud. Once at the bottom, you give it a twist as you pull it out so the patch bunches up and drags the crud up and out. The proper size jag is one that fits your barrel and patch combo, doesn’t really matter what’s printed on the package.
That is a neat trick, Thanks

Are the r/r pipes screwed on or soldered ?

If screws were used , one could be thru wall and into the barrel.

Seeing as how it's a .75 cal and the obstruction is approx. 16" into the bore , try shining a bright flash light and looking down the bore.
A bore light would be another option...

If there anything in the bore that would cause an obstruction, I would think it would be viable.
When I look down the bore with a light it's smooth flat and shiny all the way through. They are screwed on however.

Watch "shooting "it out. I once tried to shoot out a stuck cleaning rod with three grains of FFFF under the nipple. I tied a rag on the rod and fired it straight up in the air. It flew completely out of sight. And it took me and my boy three hours to find it in a hay field

I use a bronze extractor.....2 handles ..... 2 articulated, leather lined jaws........Pull out the rod

I'm still trying to find out how to ....attach files.... pictures are in the picture area but faded ...and I can't
choose them....anyway.................................................................................................. C.L.

A large diameter jag on a thin steel ramrod is an invitation to disaster. I think you may have found your cause. Get that jag started straight, then get that thin rod off center and the jag becomes MUCH wider. Get a good sized range rod and go back to shooting. The gun is probably fine.

ADK Bigfoot

Ok this is getting weird. Tried the dowel idea and it slid fairly easily and consistently through the whole barrel, including where the jag got stuck. So the barrel appears to be fairly even all the way through.
You did try a straight dowel rod with a patch. It slid easily to the breech through the area where the jag became stuck. You did say the steel rod has a slight bend.

Now that you have the dowel rod, cut some grooves in the tip like a cleaning jag and use that for cleaning and loading. Your dowel rod should be large enough in diameter that with only a little bit of care, it will work fine for cleaning and loading. You won't have stuck jag issues and you can look into getting your steel rod straightened.

Great advice by all, But if it were me I would still grind/file that jag down a few 1000's,,,
It only takes a few seconds with a battery drill and a file or sandpaper.

If you don't want to go with another metal rod, a good Hickory one works well on my .653 smoothbore..
If you do go with a wooden one, make sure the end is pinned!

Back