• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy from KY

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodys44

Pilgrim
Reaction score
New to BP, but not new to firearms at all, just never had any room in my safe for and BP's.

Just picked this up from a guy. Looking to test fire it this week. It's a Pietta Confederate .44 Not looking to start a discussion about it, it's just my first.

Only issue was this damage:
44b_zps8b54c40a.jpg

Guy didn't take too good of care of it. Came with all of the accessories.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

You didn't ask but those revolvers need to use an oversize ball so it sheers off some lead as they are being rammed into the chambers.
You don't use patches with the balls like you would if it was a single shot gun.

Look for .453 balls although .451 or .457 diameter balls might work.
When black powder guns are talked about we describe them by the bore size rather than the groove size so your pistol has a .440 diameter bore but (probably) .452 diameter grooves.
If it was a modern revolver it would be called a .45

You can use any of the black powder substitutes like Pyrodex, 777 or somebody's Gold. Real black powder works best.

Be sure your percussion caps are a snug/tight fit on the nipples. It probably uses #11 caps but a lot of these reproductions also use #10 caps.

Have fun. :)

About all I see wrong is a bit of rust starting in the chamber faces due to neglect. Bit of #0000 steel wool and something like WD-40 will take care of that. Rub gently til it disappears. As Zonie mentioned, it will work with any of the synthetic powders but I always prefer the real black. Most of those revolvers need ball size to be .453" to .454" and mike will tell you that. Good luck and happy scrubbing!

Avoid any steel wool for removing even the lightest rust from any blued surfaces, since it will thin the bluing, no matter how careful you think you may be. A patch soaked in Kroil or any penetrating oil and placed over the area for a few hours is step 1. Next, use a piece of stiff denim or unwashed pillow ticking with more oil and rub off the remaining rust.

For rust in the chambers, I'd just use a brush with whatever solvent or oil you have on hand, then go to the range and shoot out the rest. Looks like it's light enough to have not caused any pitting or surface damage. Be sure to remove the nipples and clean all threads. I apply a light dab of ball lube on the threads before reinstalling, but some folks prefer automotive anti-seize compound. Both work well.

Years ago I got some Blue Wonder for smokeless bore cleaning. It is kinda pricey for a bore cleaner that isn't really any better than a lot of cheaper stuff, BUT it does a wonderful job of removing light rust.

Pietta and Uberti have always had a problem producing nipples of uniform diameter. #10's are my first choice to start with on a new revolver. After accumulating several cap and ball revolvers, I was able to sort all the nipples into groups to get a couple of usable sets of more uniform dimensions. If you have difficulty with your factory nipples, consider a set of Treso/Ampco nipples. I have the installed on several revolvers. They're precision made to fit #11 caps.

.454" balls are ideal. Smaller diameter may work ok, but you risk a looser fitting ball moving forward in the chamber under recoil, and possibly chainfires. A larger diameter ball will shave off more lead when seated, producing a wider flat spot around the ball called the Engagement Band. Wider the flat, the more surface area contacts the rifling, and the better potential for accuracy. This works up to the point where the ball is too big, taking too much force to seat, straining the loading lever and leading to possible breakage. .456" work well in my ROA, but are just a little too big to use in any quantity for any of my Piettas and Ubertis.

Welcome to the forum. Your pistol has a brass frame. If you shoot maximum loads all the time in it you will eventually damage the frame. Full charge is about 24grains. Reduced loads are more in the order of 12 to 15 grains.

Check out the thread on chain fire for some good information.

Many Klatch

Welcome. Wipe. Shoot. Clean. Oil. Repeat. Often.

Have fun. Safe shooting!

Welcome aboard! I'm right up the road from you in Louisville. My first experience with black powder came back in the 70's when my dad picked up an 1858 Remington. We never experienced a chain fire with that old revolver, but soon learned to securely cap our can of powder before firing. :doh:

Back