• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

loaded 8 1/2 months

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I celebrated the 4th with one shot, can't say I'm not patriotic. My Jackie Brown 20 ga. smoothbore had been loaded with ball since Oct. 19, 2012, first day of early deer season, and I decided that was long enough. It hadn't been plugged with a feather or otherwise protected from our world class humidity. It fired first try, fast ignition, and I didn't even prick the touchhole. Let's hear it for flintlocks.

Spence

Have kept flintlocks loaded for more then a year with out problem in humid ol' arkansas.Lots of folks got shot or shot a 100 year old gun that had been left loaded and no one knew.

Have left some of my flintlocks loaded longer than that(though I admit one shouldn't) :idunno: and all have went off with zero problems. We have bout the same humidity here

For years, I have said that leaving a muzzleloading rifle loaded was a bad idea (for the rifle). I said that it would absorb moisture and cause rust in the breach area not to mention that you would have to pull the ball. Well, folks, there is enough evidence to prove me wrong and I will admit that it will obviously not harm your rifle and can be reasonably expected to fire even after extended periods of sitting loaded. That being said, I still maintain that it is a bad idea from a safety point. It invites accidental firing by someone who assumes that it is not loaded. Besides, I am just anal enough to want to keep my guns in a pristine, near new, condition when they are not in use. After a hunt, if I have not fired a load, I will fire it and then do the necessary thorough cleaning of every part and the inside of the lock. I lightly oil all of the metal with Barricade and wax the stock before putting the gun back in my gunsafe. Excessive and just a little obsessive/compulsive? Maybe, but all of my guns stay in as near a new gun condition as possible. Do I recommend this to all my friends? Yes. Do I insist that it is the only way to do it. No. But I do tell them that in my personal opinion that it is the best way to do it. :thumbsup: Just the ramblings of an old fart who is somewhat set in his ways. Take if for what it's worth.

If I don't shoot it I'll pull the load and clean/oil accordingly.I did leave a TC GreyHawk loaded about 2 yrs once due to being deployed....when I came back home remembered it was loaded put a cap on it and off she went.That was/is not my usual routine though :shocked2:

One thing needs to be pointed out.

If you use the right lube then you can leave a gun loaded like this. Any lube with water in it can not be left for any amount of time in the barrel. If there is water in the lube it will rust the ball, patch and barrel all together if left for too long.

I'm ashamed to say, but I recently found that I had left my double 45 cal rifle loaded( with clean bores) for more than 5 years. I pulled the gun from its' case and found the note saying it was loaded. I went out the other day and both barrels went off just fine and fast. Both shots hit the target, and there was no rust or any other problem. I shot it several more times and hit well with it.

Good point as usual! However I think this shows another use for the CO2 un-loader. When deer hunting with my flint lock I always shot them at dusk quick cleaned and reloaded the next morning.
Now I shoot cap locks and blow them out and reload the next morning. Geo. T.

Billnpatti said:
...I still maintain that it is a bad idea from a safety point. It invites accidental firing by someone who assumes that it is not loaded.

Everyone who lives in my home and ALL visitors are taught to treat every gun as if it is loaded. You'll never hear that dreaded phrase in my home.

Back