• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dangers of melting lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been casting rb for a few years now but lately my wife is getting worried and now got me somewhat the same.I cast in my garage with the garage door open for air.Is there a danger of fumes given off by the casting process.I usually bring my lead to about 900 deg ,flux and then down to my cating temp.Can these fumes really get into your clothes,dryer or house by transfer?I dont know if anyone has gotten lead poisioning but i would be interested anyone's response

To get lead in the actual fumes you have to get it near boiling point which is way hotter than needed. I always use the normal precautions anyway. Good ventilation and I've even done it in the house in the past. Checked with my DR an did a blood test and lead levels were really low so no worries there. You have more danger from handling lead but with following the usual precautions, you shouldn't have problems. Wash hands, don't handle things that you will be drinking, eating, smoking while handling lead. Next time you see your DR have them run a blood test and that should set your mind at ease.

I just did some research that explained lead has to reach a temp of around 1800 degrees f before it will give off hazardous fumes. It also explained that around 800-900 degrees, it will still give off a very slight amount of toxic fumes, not much to worry about, but exposure to these low temp fumes over a long period of time can lead to an accumulative build-up in the body. But with proper ventilation, it's very difficult for any lead build-up to occur.

I don't see how clothing can be a transfer hazard, unless you lick your clothes after every casting session :wink: . It's not like nuclear contamination. Any small (make that very small) amount of lead that settles on your clothing can be easily washed away, and it won't contaminate your washer or dryer. Think of leaving a lead sinker in your pants, then washing it. You just end up with a clean sinker and your washer/dryer is fine.

As far as casting in your garage, I suggest you add a small fan to move any fumes out the door. In the article I read, it explained that if the air movement is enough to move smoke from a lighted match, it is enough to safely melt lead. Bill

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=10031&p_table=STANDARDS

"Lead can be absorbed into your body by inhalation (breathing) and ingestion (eating). Lead (except for certain organic lead compounds not covered by the standard, such as tetraethyl lead) is not absorbed through your skin. When lead is scattered in the air as a dust, fume or mist it can be inhaled and absorbed through you lungs and upper respiratory tract. Inhalation of airborne lead is generally the most important source of occupational lead absorption. You can also absorb lead through your digestive system if lead gets into your mouth and is swallowed. If you handle food, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, or make-up which have lead on them or handle them with hands contaminated with lead, this will contribute to ingestion."

If melting WWs it is best to keep your melt at a lower temp. The dreaded zink WWs melt at a higher temp and if you get some in they will float on top of the melt longer than the lead. I see no reason to get lead up to 900 degrees either but to each his own.

IIRC, most cases where someone suspected lead posioning were actually cases of carbon monoxide posioning from casting using a gas burner in an unventilated room. Avoid ingesting lead dust, no eating near the casting area.

Mr Hawken said:
I have been casting rb for a few years now but lately my wife is getting worried and now got me somewhat the same.I cast in my garage with the garage door open for air.Is there a danger of fumes given off by the casting process.I usually bring my lead to about 900 deg ,flux and then down to my cating temp.Can these fumes really get into your clothes,dryer or house by transfer?I dont know if anyone has gotten lead poisioning but i would be interested anyone's response

If you get lead poisoning it won't be from casting bullets unless you really screw up.
I used to worry about it until a couple of friends who cast far more than I do got tested and they came up clean.
Its just something else people want you to be afraid of.
If you are worried get a test done.

Dan

What you have to be careful of is lead oxide, lead carbonate and lead acetate.
The way the Romans poisoned themselves was not from lead pipes carrying water but from sweetening their wine with lead acetate and using lead bowls and containers. Lead paint is/was sweet, they tell me, and this is why little kids would eat the stuff.
Elemental lead is relatively benign but of course since its used in firearms we should ban the stuff.
Since the ban on leaded gas and leaded paints the lead poisoning thing is basically a non-issue.
If the lead is white be careful the oxide is the real "active ingredient".
Wash your hands when done and use common sense.
Driving your car is far more hazardous to your health.

Dan

Children get lead from chewing /being exposed to lead paint,so I figure it wouldn't take must exposure to be bad.
Do your research and follow ever precaution listed would be my input.

Back