• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tick treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked nights at a prison, mostly outside. I never found SSS to do anything but smell better than Cutter.
Interesting you'd say that.
Many years ago, a test was done (I think by Backpacker Magazine) testing various bug repellents. Their focus was mosquitoes not ticks. Subjects went hiking through an area in hiking shorts with one leg bare and one with a product on it. The Skin So Soft people had more bites on the treated leg than the bare leg.

I find fascinating the mental gymnastics of individuals who would rather put some unnatural junk on their already injured skin than put permethrin on their clothes and keep most if not all the ticks off their skin to begin with. 🙄

Also, a reminder (based on something else stupid that someone said,,, I hope they weren't serious but couldn't tell)
Tick borne diseases take time to transfer. The longer one let's the tick stay in the skin, the more likely one will get any disease that tick is carrying. The quicker the tick is removed the less likely, to include no chance, one is to get the disease,,,, but this does not negate the fact that a foreign object has punctured the skin so there is always risk for secondary infection or bacterial infection.

Spent most of my working life as a wetlands and wildlife biologist, always out in the woods, swamps, jungles. Many jobs required me to be camping for 2-3 weeks at a time.
I generally used powdered sulfur as a repellent for ticks. You can find it at many pharmacies. Put a couple ounces in an old sock and make a knot to keep it in there.
A few taps around the lower legs and ankles will keep the danged blood-suckers away.
Your mileage may vary... But very effective for me. Put the sock in a zip-lock plastic baggie so it doesn't get wet.

Twenty odd years ago I got the LYMEX vaccine. Just now googled it and found the protection diminishes over time and that the vaccine was discontinued due to lack of interest.
Have not had the disease but can't say if that is because of caution or the vax. But as of recently my blood still titered positive for Lyme so I am hoping the vax is still effective.
I got the same shot and always wondered about the effectiveness. I tuck my pant legs in tall rubber boots and spray the boots with repellant when it's warm, Since I'm cold blooded I wear real lightweight long johns tucked into my socks 7-8 months out of the year, with T shirt tail tucked in the long johns it keeps them out of places you can't see :thumb:

Last edited:
I’ve used permethrin for years, and I’m a firm believer. I spray my clothes any day I’m hanging at the house, cuz I know I’ll be walking around in the grass or woods at some point. Tick bites (even for a short attachment time) cause an intense itchy spot on me that lasts for months, so I always treat my clothes. Underwear, socks, pants, shirt, boots. All of ‘em. Even a jacket if it’s cool out.

Spraying it on your skin does no good, and can potentially cause a rash on some folks. The enzymes on your skin will consume the active ingredient, so it simply won’t work on skin.

Personally, I don’t have any problem putting on dampened clothes right after I treat them. I try to give them time to dry, but I feel fortunate that it doesn’t bother me if I have to put them on damp.

IMG_5628.jpeg

The ticks don't go near you. I never found a tick on my pants or anywhere on me with it..

But you can not put it on your skin.. I kinda didn't want to post it because of the warning.

For the skin. It's all kinda works good enough for me for mosquitoes.. off Ben's cutter etc.. I been using the kids stuff now. But it had to be bad for them to bother me. I'm one they don't care for that much.

My wife used the sss for beach fleas.

With the ticks we have though. honestly I've found them all over me clothes yea "without".. but I've never had one dug in me.

It's also a good idea to take a shower. Times I've gotta covered in little deer ticks. I just tossed everything into the washer. Took a shower.

Attachments

• 17160483131877463982142666154662.jpg
    17160483131877463982142666154662.jpg
    961.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Many years ago, a test was done (I think by Backpacker Magazine) testing various bug repellents. Their focus was mosquitoes not ticks. Subjects went hiking through an area in hiking shorts with one leg bare and one with a product on it. The Skin So Soft people had more bites on the treated leg than the bare leg.
A lot of people think that skin so soft repels mosquitoes, sand gnats, ticks and red bugs. I personally don't believe it repels anything.
My personal opinion is that it is so thick and oily they get stuck in it before they can bite you.

One post suggests wrapping pants with duct tape at the ankel. I second that , been doing that since late 1970's. I had a very good friend that was an aspiring young gun builder , training at Colonial Williamsburg's m/l shop. He got a tick bite , and went to many medical centers in the south , and in Pa.. Nothing was known of Lyme disease in the early 1970's. Last time I spent time with him , was at the 1988 at the NMLRA spring shoot. He had almost no flesh on his bones. I couldn't imagine how he was even walking with me. His body looked like a skeleton. His arm could be encircled by my thumb and pointer finger. I have never seen anything like that before or after spending that time with him. I would never wish that on any person..Protect yourself......oldwood

I personally don't believe it repels anything.
It repels me.
I don't like anything with a perfumey or flowery odor. Honestly don't like anything with any kind of a strong scent,,,, except maybe bacon or coffee. Odd I know for someone who works for a handmade small batch soap maker 😆

I can 100% see where they got that conclusion. That stuff is worse than Worthless.

Spent most of my working life as a wetlands and wildlife biologist, always out in the woods, swamps, jungles. Many jobs required me to be camping for 2-3 weeks at a time.
I generally used powdered sulfur as a repellent for ticks. You can find it at many pharmacies. Put a couple ounces in an old sock and make a knot to keep it in there.
A few taps around the lower legs and ankles will keep the danged blood-suckers away.
Your mileage may vary... But very effective for me. Put the sock in a zip-lock plastic baggie so it doesn't get wet.
Wow...I have not thought of that in 45 years. A dear friend of Dad's was a WWI Veteran. He lived most his life in ramshackle houses, horse trailers, etc. He made us douse our pant legs with Sulphur before going hunting.

I'd like to know how to get rid of house fly s.

Without using a crazy poison smoke bomb.

Where I am now for some reason we get enough of them.. fly traps and all to maintain. Got spray that works it's pet safe. it's not a cure and it leaves oil residue on the walls.

Back