• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Bought from S&W

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe half what your gun store employees say.
I have worked in 3 different gun stores over the years. Unfortunately, you are correct. If someone asked me a question I always responded with the truth. If I didn't know I told them so. I have seen co-workers brag, spread half-truths, and even outright lie to a customer. I also refused to answer legal questions. Some customers got upset with me for that. I would direct them to the state attorney general website that had all of those answers.

Last edited:
This won't go over very well. but since opinions are accepted here, I cannot understand the loyalty to the straight stock, adjustable sighted, short barrel, assembly line, very unauthentic muzzleloaders produced by TC. Are they cherished because they are no longer made? I will concede TC made a quality and very serviceable muzzleloader, but they in no way resembled and authentic historically correct rifle. I had several in the '80s myself, but that was when real muzzleloader repos were not so very available. Then came TVM, Chambers, Kibler, and others. Authenticity and love of the past became alive in the hearts of those dedicated to those bygone days. Accoutrements and methods of the olden times became available.It called loudly to tradionalist. I was one. Sold my TCs easily to individuals who wanted only to participate in the new concept of primitive seasons. They could have a quality side lock to hunt with. Apparently there is still a demand for that. Afterall, Grizzly Adams had such a gun, and several other TV shows depicted mountain men with such factory built rifles that in no way represented reality. The public bought into that, ignorant of the producer's errors, or at least what they thought the public would believe. I've not advanced nearly so far as others here, but if I can't own and hunt with a real muzzleloader, I'd just as soon not play. I realize we can't all afford such rifles, and the guns we bought long ago have valuable memories of days a'field, and there are many who would never part with their quality Thompson Center rifles, but I ain't one. Thanks to all who took the time to read this post. My intent is not to condemn or offend. but just to state one person's opinion.

Well, if anyone has been paying attention to the unconstitutional attacks on the 2nd Amendment lately, we are one election away from flintlocks being the only weapons we are allowed to own! And then they'll try to seize our powder and shot if we don't pay our taxes.

Paul R.

Have a T/C G2 Contender(centerfire) and just love it but if they'd called the 'Hawken' something else I'd have accepted it has a serviceable albeit unauthentic entry to Muzzleloading which should have been seen as a stepping stone to the more historically appropriate and not an end point in itself. There's still a place for that type of firearm. Hope they do (and G2's)

I never cared for the Thompson center line. Although I have owned a few, but I had them for loaners.

This won't go over very well. but since opinions are accepted here, I cannot understand the loyalty to the straight stock, adjustable sighted, short barrel, assembly line, very unauthentic muzzleloaders produced by TC. Are they cherished because they are no longer made? I will concede TC made a quality and very serviceable muzzleloader, but they in no way resembled and authentic historically correct rifle. I had several in the '80s myself, but that was when real muzzleloader repos were not so very available. Then came TVM, Chambers, Kibler, and others. Authenticity and love of the past became alive in the hearts of those dedicated to those bygone days. Accoutrements and methods of the olden times became available.It called loudly to tradionalist. I was one. Sold my TCs easily to individuals who wanted only to participate in the new concept of primitive seasons. They could have a quality side lock to hunt with. Apparently there is still a demand for that. Afterall, Grizzly Adams had such a gun, and several other TV shows depicted mountain men with such factory built rifles that in no way represented reality. The public bought into that, ignorant of the producer's errors, or at least what they thought the public would believe. I've not advanced nearly so far as others here, but if I can't own and hunt with a real muzzleloader, I'd just as soon not play. I realize we can't all afford such rifles, and the guns we bought long ago have valuable memories of days a'field, and there are many who would never part with their quality Thompson Center rifles, but I ain't one. Thanks to all who took the time to read this post. My intent is not to condemn or offend. but just to state one person's opinion.
I agree. I started this hobby in the days before internet with unauthentic percussion guns because I didn’t know what authentic was. I am now aware of how much my Thompson Center Hawken is not like a real Hawken. It’s a well built and accurate gun but authentic it ain’t. My main interest now is 18th and 19th century flintlocks and accoutrements but the TC has found a home also.

Just a real opinion here, to have an 1700 era rifle/trade rifle. Almost all of the parts are not correct today. Talking about making them with materials available during 17th century.

I taught hunter safety for about 10 years, black powder, archery and treestand safety. Almost all of my young students didn't know that any bow existed that didn't have wheels in the ends, they were the same about black powder guns, they though they all were breakdown guns with scopes on them.

With this type of young hunter coming up, building a commercial, mass produced side lock gun would not be a wise business move.

I taught hunter safety for about 10 years, black powder, archery and treestand safety. Almost all of my young students didn't know that any bow existed that didn't have wheels in the ends, they were the same about black powder guns, they though they all were breakdown guns with scopes on them.

With this type of young hunter coming up, building a commercial, mass produced side lock gun would not be a wise business move.
Unfortunately you are probably right

Mike, I certainly can see where you coming from so let take the other tack.
I can/have taken my TC Hawken flint thru many hunts, woodwalks, things like that. It banged into trees, used to push aside vines and brush, stuff like that. And they hold up very well, resist scuffing, dents, and still maintain reasonable accuracy even with abuse.
I would never consider putting a Chambers, Kibler, Miller, or other artisan rifle thru the rigors that my TC has been thru.
So in summary, a TC can go where others fear to tread.

Last edited:
I worked for T/C in the late 1980’s. They made good, dependable hunting guns. Most of the managers hunted and took great pride in making good shooting rifles. I left way before the big fire, and the sale to Ritz. Friends who worked there said that is when it started going downhill. They never tried to appeal to the “hairshirts” as Ken French used to call the dyed in the wool , historically accurate crowd. But many, many young men like me got their start in muzzleloading with T/C. Still use my Renegade ocassionally, but I shoot everything.

Attachments

• Resized_20201030_150620_9633.jpeg
    Resized_20201030_150620_9633.jpeg
    859 KB · Views: 0
I started with a TC in the early 70s, I owned a bunch of them. I soured on them when I bought my first flintlock TC about 15 years ago that had the touch hole in the back corner of the pan and the lock was held in position with hot melt glue instead of good inletting. I sent it back but TC said there was nothing wrong with it. The old TC company I grew up with would have sent me a new gun.

I swore I would never own another but they have a way of creeping back into your life. I now have two, one I made from a prewarning kit and one I made with a drop in GM barrel from random parts.

I have bought and sold many TC guns in the past. My last two were sold from estates when the past owner died. People are holding on to these guns if for no other reason as they forgot they owned them .?
I am a flint guy but the last two were a percussion big boar and a patriot . I didn’t even know a patriot existed till i saw it.

I gonna share a story you wont believe. I don’t much care cause I know it’s true and thats all that matters.
Back in my mid 20s I was out woods walking with my buddies. By this time i had shot thousands of rounds thru my TC .50 Hawken Flint. I knew exactly where it would hit depending on powder load and aim.
You know how those electrical poles got those little ceramic things on the cross bars?
Buddy bet me I could not hit one. Now that thing was, i don’t know, 100, maybe 150, possibly 200yards away. It was a tiny dot in the distance.
I loaded, took the shot, after the shot, we waited, the smoke had cleared and after a number of seconds, we watched as that little ceramic thing exploded.
They couldn’t believe. I couldn’t believe it.
Swear to my dying day, on my mama grave true story.
Could i ever repeat that shot, probably not.
I still have that TC and not enough money in the world get me to sell it.

Exactly. They should make English styled sporting and double rifles.

I've only owned one T/C and really didn't have it that long. Those guns (early ones at least) were high quality. A lot of work went into making them that way. But they just did not look anything like what I saw David Crockett shoot and looked very little like the "Hawken" rifle praised by Jeremiah Johnson. Plus they had rather shallow rifling, coil springs instead of leaf and the "engraving" on the lock would have been better left off.

I kinda went the other way with an underhammer from Numrich Arms and a flint longrifle shortly after. They looked even more authentic than the European imports although still not truly like the old ones. Now T/C wants another shot; we'll see.

CF will probably be there game, maybe along with Encores & Contenders. CVA stopped making Traditional side locks (decade ago?), so I don’t see T/C bringing them back - no market to make $ in todays world.
I would not doubt if they build a bolt action ML and call it a Hawken, though. Same as the 6.5Creedmoor has nothing to do with Creedmoor.
Knight Rifles at least copied the 19th Century twist of Whitworth, Rigby, etc in there 45 & then offered fast twist 40’s. CVA then followed.
I’m sure I’ll never own anything T/C will make, but if it’s good for the 2A - I’m good to.

Last edited:
Haven’t seen this on the forum yet today. My apologies if this is a duplicate post. Looks like Gregg Ritz has purchased T/C from Smith & Wesson. Looking forward to seeing new rifles from T/C.
Lotta criticism of the TC Hawken throughout this thread. And when it comes to them being non-historically accurate builds I get it. I’m looking for traditional Hawken too. But quality wise TC did something right, their guns are still around and still shooting straight. It’s a good rifle and somewhat of a gateway gun for many who find they enjoy shooting muzzleloaders and buy up after their first TC into one of the higher end imports or a custom muzzleloader.
CF will probably be there game, maybe along with Encores & Contenders. CVA stopped making Traditional side locks (decade ago?), so I don’t see T/C bringing them back - no market to make $ in todays world.
I would not doubt if they build a bolt action ML and call it a Hawken, though. Same as the 6.5Creedmoor has nothing to do with Creedmoor.
Knight Rifles at least copied the 19th Century twist of Whitworth, Rigby, etc in there 45 & then offered fast twist 40’s. CVA then followed.
I’m sure I’ll never own anything T/C will make, but if it’s good for the 2A - I’m good to.
There must be some money to be made with traditional Muzzleloaders. Pedersoli rifles and pistols command a good price. Two of their Hawken reproductions, the Missouri and Rocky Mountain models are close to 2k. If TC built a few traditional models with an emphasis on historical accuracy, they may be successful in what is admittedly a specialized market.

Latest posts

Back